Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Four Star 60 Build...The Saga Begins

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Four Star 60 Build...The Saga Begins

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 09:16 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Four Star 60 Build...The Saga Begins

ORIGINAL: MountaineerFan36
and you should have seen the grin and whoop I did when I did a little vertical test with my fourstar.

Yep, I'd say that he's hooked!!!

Ken
Old 08-20-2005, 09:22 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: MountaineerFan36
and you should have seen the grin and whoop I did when I did a little vertical test with my fourstar.

Yep, I'd say that he's hooked!!!

Ken
Oh yea, he's hooked

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23292.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	312961  
Old 08-20-2005, 09:31 PM
MountaineerFan36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh...one other thing.

I switched my nexstar over to channel 40 so I could use one transmitter for both planes. I took the nexstar up first and trimmed her all out. Then I flew the fourstar a couple times. Well, then this guy shows up at the field and sees my nexstar, and says "those are junk" I bought one and have had all kinds of problems with it. I told him I had good success with mine, so he asks if I would take it up and show him. I said, no problem.

I fired up the nexstar, made sure I was on model 2 (because of course the fourstar is model 1) and then took off. As I gained altitude, I wanted to make a left banking turn, so I hit left aileron and.....nothing....it will not turn. So I hit more aileron...and more...and the thing will not turn. Finally I max out my aileron and it barely starts to turn. I come across the field and I yell out "I've got a problem here...my ailerons won't work!" a couple guys come up and start saying "use the rudder!!!" So I hit the rudder....and nothing! By this time she is heading towards the cornfield...I had already pulled the throttle back to idle, so I was losing altitude fast. I aimed it strait for the weeds in front of the corn..and in she went. So I'm thinking...what the heck happened..did I have a dead battery, did I get a radio hit what? After I recoverd the Nexstar, which amazingly had no damage on it aside from the nose gear being bent a little, I went back to do an investigation.

Turns out, I had left the transmitter on low rates for my fourstar and hadn't switched it to high rates for the nexstar. On low rates the ailerons worked, but a fraction of the throw. Since it was a bit windy, it simply wasn't enough throw on the aileron to turn it...as it does tend to "weather vane" into the wind.

Lesson learned....for sure
Old 08-21-2005, 09:25 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Your radio won't allow you to turn the dual rates off for the nexstar? On my computer radio (JR 6102), the dual rate switch only works on the planes that I set it up for. Actually, it technically works on all of them, but they are all (by default) set ot 100% on both throws. Only the planes that I physically change the throws on are affected by the switch. If you copied the model, then that may be your problem. Go into your nexstar configuration on the radio, and set both rates to 100%. that way, no matter what setting the switch is on, there will not be a problem again!
Old 08-21-2005, 01:16 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Doh! I hate those crash switches!!!! [:@]

Glad to hear the crashstar is ok, they're fairly tough suprisingly.

On the 4* after a flight report, with poor full throttle running, I'm not so sure it is a vibration issue anymore(like everyone else already said). Have you tried removing the fuel filter and running it? Those have a tendency to make bubbles sometimes... Or - you might have a pinhole or crack in one of the fuel lines... Or - maybe the bung or screw holding it in on the fuel tank has worked loose...? Just some ideas. Without being able to see it action, it's difficult to guess, although there's a pretty well established list of usual suspects.
I know it was outside the plane, but I assume you used the same plumbing, did you have any bubbles when you were breaking in the engine?
Old 08-21-2005, 02:56 PM
MountaineerFan36

Your radio won't allow you to turn the dual rates off for the nexstar? On my computer radio (JR 6102), the dual rate switch only works on the planes that I set it up for. Actually, it technically works on all of them, but they are all (by default) set ot 100% on both throws. Only the planes that I physically change the throws on are affected by the switch
I bought the xmitter used. So I zeroed out all the trims for model two (nexstar) but neglected to zero out the dual rates for model two. The dual rates were set up for 50% for all control surfaces at the low rates.

did you have any bubbles when you were breaking in the engine?
Nope, no problem breaking it in, but I did use a different tank and set of plumbing to break the engine in. My mistake.

OK. I'm having zero success in getting this tank out. It is packed in there tight! Which leads me to a question. Could I have packed it to tight, hence causing the bubbles.

At this point I'm thinking I may have to cut a hatch in the top to get the tank out. Any suggestion on how best to make a hatch once I get it out?
Old 08-21-2005, 05:29 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

MountaineerFan36,
Look at the diagram that I've attached. It shows two ways you can mount a hatch cover. The first is between two formers, and the second is in an open area on the fuselage.

Let me know if you have any questions on this

Ken

Name:	Pn37625.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	313259  
Old 08-21-2005, 05:38 PM
R T W

Tks Ken I alway like any info like this
Old 08-21-2005, 06:03 PM
MountaineerFan36

Thanks Ken...I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 08-21-2005, 07:03 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Glad I could help you guys out. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ken
Old 08-29-2005, 08:49 AM
jtsails
My Feedback: (2)

MountaineerFan36, RCKen, Bubbagates and everyone else,
I just wanted to express my appreciation for your time and effort in doing this thread. I have been following since the start with great interest. I was in the same boat as MountaineerFan36 as far as wanting to get a Four Star but my LHS had one ARF left which I bought. Following this thread has taught me that building from a kit isn't as monumental a task as it might seem and it inspired me to give it a try also, so I bought a Great Planes RV 4 kit to build. Been working on it for almost two weeks now and have finished the tail structures and the wing and just started the fuseluge, it's going very well!
MountaineerFan36 congrats on the great build, hope you're enjoying flying your four star as much as I am enjoying mine. BTW I had a minor accident the other day, I was playing with putting some expo in the controls and got it set the wrong way. The plane was super twitchy and I ended up having a minor crash on landing. Broke the landing gear mount (easy repair) and cracked the balsa cowl I had made, finished up a new cowl last night and now the plane is air ready again.
james
Old 08-29-2005, 09:06 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's see some pictures of the RV 4 if you can.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:10 AM
rwithey
My Feedback: (3)

Yea lets see some RV4 build and finish pics if you got em. I was thinking on building one myself.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:16 PM
jtsails
My Feedback: (2)

Well, I didn't intend to take pics of this build (mainly because I didn't want to have to clean my building space!), but I'll take some when I get home from work and post them on a new thread in the kit building forum (since the work space is clean right now).
james
Old 09-08-2005, 12:31 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Covering is really a personal preference, but I personally love Ultra Coat to Monokote. It's slower reacting to heat, and will shrink with better control and results, without burning. I just did a J3 Cub and it's so much stronger than the Monokote version I already have. It feels a little thicker too, but I didn't mic it.
Get some Balsarite too.

As far as investing days or weeks into a kit, not to mention all the building costs of materials, door blank or flat surface to pin into, tools of the trade, it sure makes me white knuckled flying one of those than a disposable ARF I didn't put my heart into. I can't cover as good as a ARF job, and my wing is never as flat. I gave up kits and sold them all, there just isn't time to take my time. I'm glad you are certainly giving it a shot. Mods are fun to do. I still shake my head why not try a Tiger ll ARF 60?

In this case of a Four Star, it's out of stock, but....http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFKA9&P=ML

Its in stock for me? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCHY4&P=ML

They went up $10.00 too, there goes the Katrina related increases already!

I'll throw together an ARF in a night or two, and fill the posts with my spare time....hehehe.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:58 PM
MountaineerFan36

Hey guys! Thought I'd drag up this old thread to give an update.

I'm getting the 4*60 all prepped and ready for the flying season. Can't wait to get it out and fly her. My timing really stunk with the build last year. About the same time that I finished the build, my wife gave birth to our second child. So, family time took priority over flying time and I pretty much shut down for the rest of the year.

I'm installing a new fuel tank, and was able to avoid cutting in a hatch. It took me awhile, but I was finally able to pull the tank out. I'm putting in a 12 oz to replace the 14 oz so I have a little more room should I have to pull it out again. I bought a Dubro with the plumbing coming strait out rather than at an angle as was suggested. Hopefully replacing the fuel lines and tank will solve my bubble problem.

Can't wait to get back in the air!
Old 10-19-2007, 08:25 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Stumbling on this thread while reading the beginner's forum, there appears to be a lot of helpful information on kit building, even though it's a bit old and has run for quite some time. Perhaps it would make a good tutorial, I may apply some of this info should I decide to build something during the Winter. Under consideration: A Great Planes Rapture 40.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 02-16-2009, 04:29 PM
MountaineerFan36

Hey everyone.

Thought I'd bump up this thread and give a quick update.

The four star 60 is still going strong! I've unfortunately had to cut way back on flying time the past few years as I have two young kids at home that require lots of attention.

However, this flying season I plan to be more active and my son is getting old enough now to probably start learning to fly (maybe an easy electric trainer, not sure yet).

Anyhow I was spending some time yesterday tinkering around w/my 4* and thought of this thread and all the tremendous help I received from the community here. Thanks again RCKen, Minnflyer and company for all your help and support!

Joe
(Mountaineerfan36)
Old 02-16-2009, 09:35 PM
marg2

Well Joe The tread is allive, My nephew game his 4*(kit) last week half of the left wing is build yesterday I did set a table in my room and read the instruction , very lost so far, but love the looks and hope will be my first low wing plane, I'm a nitro heli guy (Beg in hover stage) but was a real pilot early one in life so at 50 my desire to fly againt is on hope you guys will help, all i know about glues I have to and super thin and a gap filler plus the plans and will ,wish me luck
mariano
ps if the thread continue will have some dum Q like wasis the dihedral gauge and is come with the kit?
Old 06-19-2009, 02:02 PM
GaryHarris

Sorry to bring this thread back up, but I was using the search function and came across this. I was glued for hours reading the posts and all the support yall gave Joe over the last few days, years ago, and the awsome job he did building that plane. I must of printed 20 pages of suggestions and pics to help me build my 4* .60 that I sorta put on the back burner for now. I got so motivated, the Fred Ex is bringing me a Saito 100 GK today!

Allthough I have only been flying for 7 weeks, I have been building kits and either giving them away or selling them since 92. I have learned alot on this particular build. Now I have something I would like to share with yall. A VERY confusing right wing build.

Tell me what you see!

Name:	Nl30862.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	1221060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27346.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	1221061  
Old 06-19-2009, 04:22 PM
GaryHarris

Ok, Ill give.  This really messed me up and took two days to figure out and I'm still worried I did something wrong.

Look at the right wing drawing.  Normally you would see the trailing edge at the rear and the writing facing towards the TE.  Somehow, someway, they got the instructions backwards in the drawing.  Hopefully I built the wing correctly.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:49 PM
GaryHarris

Thanks anyway.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:27 PM
marg2

thanks we will built it wrigth,
Old 08-18-2009, 07:34 PM
TinmanJones

HOLY COW...
MountaineerFan36, its taken me 3 days to read this entire thread... Im not a new RC pilot, but brand stinking new to building... SO new, that im patiently waiting for my 4*60 to arrive, JUST BECAUSE OF YOU!!! hahahaha
praying it gets here tomorrow...

Ive been flying ARFs for almost 10 years... I did buy a kit several years ago... Had a club member build it for me, then sold it before I could ever fly it...

Ive been sitting on this idea, of building, for a few months... Trying to figure out if i REALLY want to tackle this... But after reading this entire thread, and reading about your maiden flight, theres not doubt in my mind that i HAVE to do this... So, i found a site online (not Tower of course) and bought me a 4*60 kit...

I live in Arkansas, so its crazy hot and humid right now, and probably even hotter in my shop, but im not sure ill be able to let the airplane sit in the box till cooler weather... I have a feeling ill have to jump right into the build...

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that you, and many others throughout this entire thread, have lit yet another spark under another RC pilot... I cant wait to try my hand at this...

Hopefully YOU, RCKen, Bubba, 2slow, and a host of others will join me as i begin my "first build" journey... I would love to have ALL the help and useful tips that you have had...

You built a beautiful airplane...

This entire thread is saved and I will be looking at it for tips and inspiration throughout my build...

Again, thanks MountaineerFan36...

TinmanJones
(Don)
Old 08-18-2009, 08:09 PM
GaryHarris

Use a framing square along the root rib and the leading edge to get the wing squared up.