Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

NexStar Arf

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

NexStar Arf

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 12:38 PM
SlowPoke40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NexStar Arf

I am putting together a NexStar Arf and have a problem installing the engine. My engine is a OS .46 LA. When I mount the engine, the muffler does not fit into the space provided. The engine is too far away from the side. Did I screw something up or does the engine not fit the plane?
Old 06-16-2005, 12:41 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: NexStar Arf

ORIGINAL: SlowPoke40

I am putting together a NexStar Arf and have a problem installing the engine. My engine is a OS .46 LA. When I mount the engine, the muffler does not fit into the space provided. The engine is too far away from the side. Did I screw something up or does the engine not fit the plane?
The 46 LA should fit, but a 46FXI (rebadged 46FX with a different head) is what's designed for that plane. If the muffler won't clear the side, you need to get a muffler extension to allow the muffler to clear the sides.

Click Here to view extensions...
Old 06-16-2005, 12:44 PM
DTB

Double Posted...

[:@]
Old 06-16-2005, 12:44 PM
SlowPoke40

That is what I was thinking. It is pretty hard to mess up putting that plane together that is why I thought it was strange it wouldnt fit. I am not very mechanically inclined so if it is possible to screw it up, I will.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:19 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure to get the correct extension obviously.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:13 PM
britbrat

That engine can be made to fit, but it is physically smaller and lighter than the originally intended powerplant. Not only does the muffler interfere with the side of the cowl, you will need to add nose weight to balance the model. Since it is also marginal in terms of power for that model, you may be better off installing a physically larger and more powerfull motor, such as an OS 46 AX, or a Thunder Tiger .46 Pro, or any other similarly sized engine with similar output.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:51 AM
trekkerguy
My Feedback: (9)

Just finished building my Nexstar, but haven't flown it yet. I installed a O.S. 46 AX and it fits just fine.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:40 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

The .46 AX engine should give good performance on the NexSTAR. I use it on my Midwest Aerobat and it handles that plane just fine, althouth the NexSTAR is a tad heavier. Let us know how it flys.

DS
Old 06-17-2005, 06:45 AM
CGRetired

I agree that the LA may be a tad under powered for the NexSTAR. I have the NexSTAR RTF which comes with the 46 FXi. That engine handles the plane nicely. The .46 ABX is also a great power plant for that plane, more power than the FXi although for a trainer, I don't believe it's necessary. As we both said, the LA may prove to be a little under powered. It will definitely show up on take-off, especially on a grass field and moreso if the grass is a bit tall.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:19 AM
SkyDemon

I finished putting my NexSTAR ARF together last night, powered with a Tiger Shark 46. It will be having it's maiden flight tomorrow, assuming the weather cooperates, and there is an available instructor.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:12 AM
CGRetired

Good man! "And if there is an instructor available".
Old 06-20-2005, 09:44 AM
SkyDemon

My NexSTAR had it's maiden flight at the able hands of one of the HRRC instuctors, Rick. Prior to it's first flight he gave it a good going over, and recommended increasing the elevator throws. After doing the range checks with both the engine off and running, he taxied it out to the landing strip, and took it off. It took off with a very short roll. He had to give it quite a bit of down elevator trim to keep it from climbing, even at 1/2 throttle. He brought it in for a nice landing, dead stick.

On the second flight, we hooked up the buddy box, and after checking all the functions, he took off and let me fly. I have to say, the experience I had while using RealFlight G3 helped tremendously, though there is nothing like the real thing. I stuck to just flying the circuit with left hand turns most of the first flight, and he brought it in with a nice dead stick landing. We worked on the adjustments for a while before the third flight, and Earl provided a replacement glow plug, and that helped smooth out the mid-range, and the engine ran smoother. For my second flight (plane's third) Rick took off and I flew about 15 minutes more, throwing in some figure eights and even did a loop and an aileron roll (though not very pretty ones). Rick brought it in for it's first powered landing, though it didn't want to come down, so it took a couple tries. With the "speedbrake/landing flaps" attached it's a real floater, and probably accounted for much of the required down trim on the elevator. Rick wanted me to take them off, but I'm going to stick with them as recommended by the manual, at least till I get some landings and take offs under my belt.

Unfortunately it will be a couple weeks before I get to take her up again, since I'll be out of town next weekend.

Mike
Old 06-20-2005, 10:07 AM
MountaineerFan36

Mike:

Congrats on the flights!

I have a Nexstar and can tell you that the advice to remove those speedbrake flaps is right on. It is much easier to land and do mild aerobatics without them on. Additionally, I had the same issue with the bird climbing and requiring a lot of elevator trim for strait level flight. Once I took the flaps and the extenstions on the leading edge off, this problem was corrected.

Just my 2 cents.

Joe
Old 06-20-2005, 10:14 AM
SlowPoke40

SkyDemon,

Sounds like you are catching on quick! I just took the advice from the people in this forum and bought a OS .46AX for my plane. I hope to have it in the air on Wednesday, weather permitting.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:40 AM
SkyDemon

Joe,

Now that it's trimmed out, it flies much better. My plans are one step at a time, I'll take the flaps off, then the leading edge extensions. I have an extra servo, and the servo extensions, so I plan on putting dual aileron servos, and with my Futaba EXA transmitter I can program flapperons. I'm already looking for a second plane which I might put a ASP 70 four cycle into. That will probably wait till fall though, when it's cooler in the garage for building.

Mike
Old 06-20-2005, 11:42 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: SkyDemon

Joe,

Now that it's trimmed out, it flies much better. My plans are one step at a time, I'll take the flaps off, then the leading edge extensions. I have an extra servo, and the servo extensions, so I plan on putting dual aileron servos, and with my Futaba EXA transmitter I can program flapperons. I'm already looking for a second plane which I might put a ASP 70 four cycle into. That will probably wait till fall though, when it's cooler in the garage for building.

Mike

Please realize that when you take the flaps off, but leave on the wingtip droops, you'll have a considerable pitch change. This is explained in the instructions. Flaps tend to cause a pitch up and the droops a pitch down. The two offset each other.

Old 06-20-2005, 01:09 PM
SkyDemon

Bill,

Thanks for the info. Are you suggesting removing both the flaps and extensions at the same time, or just reminding me to reset the elevator trims?

Mike
Old 06-20-2005, 10:42 PM
wheels4009

Hey.......

I just maidened my Nexstar today.....after some trim adjustments flew pretty well (flew with instructor) After the flights took off
the leading edge taped on stuff, so hoping I fly a little better next time.

WORD OF CAUTION THO.......after second landing, was getting ready to take off and ....LANDING GEAR FELL OFF !!!!!!

You might want to check yours......should just slide in and "click"......but had to take out a servo to get to it. Held the tab
down with a screwdriver and dropped some CA on it........so far seems to be locked in now.

My flights today worked I guess......but not very pretty......gonna work on that ( and have a long talk with plane)

Old 06-20-2005, 10:44 PM
Capt. Nexstar

I fly with flaps and extensions and have a great time, just converted her to a tail dagger.

Nexstar with Saito FA 56
Old 06-21-2005, 06:41 AM
DTB

ORIGINAL: Winghawg1

I fly with flaps and extensions and have a great time, just converted her to a tail dagger.

Nexstar with Saito FA 56
Can you post a picture. I'd love to see a taildragger NextStar. I converted my old trainer from years past to a taildragger recently and put a Saito 72 upfront Spinning a 13x8.

Ever seen a trainer that will torque roll? It is pretty cool to see.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:22 AM
SkyDemon

Winghawg/DTB,

What did you use for the steerable tail wheel?
Old 06-21-2005, 08:37 AM
Capt. Nexstar

I plan to take some pics today, I used a Sullivan tail wheel has springs hooked to the rudder.
My wife has plans today so I'll post pics later, thanks for asking.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:42 PM
bruce88123

SlowPoke40 - When you get ready to take the "gadgets" off the wings, it would not hurt to have your instructor do the first trim flight as there may be a considerable pitch change that you may not be prepared to handle as yet. Better safe than sorry.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Capt. Nexstar

Okay here is the pics.
[img][/img]
Old 06-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Capt. Nexstar

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85465.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	287907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84058.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	287908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91638.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	287909  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.