Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

ORDERED MY NEXSTAR

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

ORDERED MY NEXSTAR

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 01:02 AM
stunner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ORDERED MY NEXSTAR

Finally, after a long wait i decided to go with the nexstar. However now I have to wait a couple of days. If anyone has any tips please post them. I am going to try to get some pics and a video. If any one wants to find out some details feel free to ask. I will make sure to give u the best explination I can from build to flight. Thanks.

here is a list of what I ordered from tower:

Hobbico NexSTAR .46 Select RTF Ch. 38
Tower Hobbies Tower Power Glo-Starter Standard w/o Metr
O.S. 8 Glow Plug Standard Long Medium Hot
Tower Hobbies Hand-Crank Fuel Pump
Great Planes Silicone Fuel Tubing Standard 3'
Hobbico Safety Stick Engine Starter
Great Planes Segmented Lead Weights 6 oz.
Great Planes C.G. Machine
Top Flite 11x6 Power Point Propeller
APC 11x5 Sport Propeller
Wildcat Premium 10%

Could have gone with an ARF but I wanted a plane ready to go. Also this is my first glow plane but I have had 2 eletric planes (3 channel).

Stunner
Old 06-24-2005, 01:37 AM
joesabido

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ORDERED MY NEXSTAR

Congratulations on that one Stunner

You'll love that plane, but please get an instructor for your first flights, glow planes are usually faster/heavier than electric and you'll have an extra channel (ailerons), i'd recommend to use the included speedbrakes untill you feel confortable with the plane

After your first flights disable the AFS (Autopilot Freaky Stuff) or you'll find yourself fighting against it [:@]

Don't forget to clean up after every flight

Good luck!

Joseph
Old 06-24-2005, 06:03 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

stunner,
Congratulations. Welcome to the addiction. Make sure you keep us posted on your progress when you start flying.

Ken
Old 06-24-2005, 06:03 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Sounds like you did it right! I started out with the Tower 40 trainer but it was pretty small way up there (for my aging eyes), so I opted to sell that to someone that really liked it and bought the NexSTAR Select RTF. I was very happy with it, learned to fly on it, and solo'ed within a couple of months. I still have it.

BritBrat has some interesting ideas on modifying the thing to make it more aerobatic and I like his ideas, but in the mean time, you did everything right. Did you consider an electric starter? Only cuz I'm lazy .

Get yourself a good pair of wrap around sun glasses too [8D] will help on those bright sunny days.

Next, of course, make sure you work with an instructor and the buddy box. You will save many a disaster that way and get lots of flying time rather than repair/rebuild time.

I used S&W 15% nitro, only because that's what my instructor suggested. I don't know if it would make a difference in the NexSTAR or not, perhaps someone else can answer that.

Best of luck, and one more thing... use that simulator that came with the NexSTAR!! You can make all the mistakes you want with that and it won't cost you a dime. You will be surprized at how much it helps. Some on this forum have said it is a waste of time.. I, as well as many others, including my 'partner' here in NJ used it extensively during our training. He started well after I did and we both solo'ed on the same weekend. His answer to why was because he used the simulator for over 20 hours before actually flying the thing, and managed to land on his second tank of fuel!!

No matter what you decide to do, keep at it and best of luck with it!! Let's hear progress reports from time to time.

DS.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:19 AM
bruce88123

You have made good choices IMHO. The fuel should be fine. While I use 15% the 10% should be plenty for initial flights and you can always step up on the next gallon if you want. You are not going for max performance right now anyway, only reliability.

Definitely get an instructor and buddy box for at least a few flights. Even though you have already learned some of the harder parts ( the rt/lt coming/going thing) with your other planes, this plane has MANY new characteristics. It will be much faster and fly actual landing patterns and have less time to recover from errors before re-kitting. Do what your instructor advises on this but I would say turn off the AFS as soon as possible or you will be fighting it in the air.

Have a great time with it and welcome to the glow powered world.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:35 AM
CGRetired

Hi Bruce.

I noted you said turn off the AFS as soon as possible. Interesting. Mainly because I never actually used it on mine, but managed without it. My instructor tried it and did not like it and suggested that I turn it off, so I did.

Actually, I removed the original RTF Futaba radio and installed my Airtronics RD6000 (for the computer capabilities). Of course, this effectively removed the AFS.

I say interesting because many instructors say the same thing, turn it off. With that, I wonder if Hobbico listens and is re-considering using the AFS because most people find that it is more of a pain than a training aid.

All the other features of the NexSTAR, such as the wing tip spoilers and the brakes under the wing, worked just fine for me and my instructor liked what they did for me. After solo, I first removed the tip spoilers followed by the brakes, and had absolutely no problems adapting.

DS.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:39 AM
jagnweiner

One thing on the fuel. After this order, don't order it through the mail. Because of the hazmat shipping costs, it is incredibly expensive. Find a local hobby shop (LHS) to buy your fuel from.

-Scott
Old 06-24-2005, 08:57 AM
Bayou Talker

I agree with not using the AFS. It forces you to continue to input control throws while making any maneuver. That is not what you will do when you are flying normally. It creates bad habits that you have to un-learn later. If you hold the control inputs in a turn for example without the AFS, the plane will continue to bank harder until it is on it's back. The only advantage to the AFS is the ability to just let go of the sticks and have the plane right itself. If you have an instructor, that should not be necessary. Also, you cannot do that in normal flight either. Another bad habit to un-learn.

All that being said, I have been flying for several years and I still fly my Nexstar. It is a good plane to learn with and to have fun with after. Also it gets lots of comments at the field for the way it looks. It sure looks good in the air!

As for building, you won't have much to do there. The RTF comes with the wing in 2 pieces that connect together with a metal torque rod and a couple of screws. Takes about 10 minutes and no glue. The tail surfaces slide into slots and holes in the rear of the fuse and 2 plastic shoulder nuts tighten it down and it is ready to go. The total time to setup is about 30 minutes. Don't forget to charge the batteries before flying. The CG on mine was dead on and required no adjustment, although do check it before flying.

The simulator is definitely worth the time to use. It will give you a pretty realistic feel for the Nexstar before you get to the field.

Good luck and good flying.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:58 AM
bruce88123

The AFS tends to only work correctly in certain lighting conditions and pilots often find themselves fighting the AFS for control of the plane. When it does happen to work as advertised it teaches the bad habit of waiting for it to recover the plane for you, which it won't always do and certainly won't in your next plane. I think Hobbico designed the plane for a pilot to go out and try to fly all by himself with no help whatsoever and this is their best attempt without full autopilot which would just be too expensive. IMHO better to leave it out and let the new pilot spend the money on club membership somewhere. The "wing gadgets" as I call them have their place but many planes can experience severe trim changes when they are removed and care must be given at that point. Other than these points it is a great flying plane. I usually recommend the ARF version so that the AFS isn't bought and the buyer can pick the radio and engine he wants.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

Congrats on buying the nexstar.

But with that being said, PLEASE get an instructor. At least get AMA and if possible a club too. It will probably cost a little over 100$ more that way, but it is VERY worth it
Old 06-24-2005, 12:47 PM
shussey

Congrats on the nexstar purchase.

I just solo'd on mine last night after about 15 flights - "on the cord"

I agree with the suggestions presented

1) Join a club and get an instructor - If I would not have had an instructor, I would have augered my beautiful Nexstar in on the first flight due to a bad aileron.

2) Spend some time flying on the included simulator....will will really help you get used to the controls on the plane and it's much easier to hit your reset button on the sim than to glue pieces back together.

3) I've flown 15% nitro fuel in mine with no problems.

4) Don't even mess with the AFS - way more problem than it's worth (Turn it off in the sim too).

5) The other thing I found is that the plane was a little squirrely on takeoff - Here's what I did to fix it:
a) Bring the linkage on the front wheel servo to the nearest hole to reduce sensitivity.
b) Replace the foam front wheel with a Dubro rubber wheel
c) Bend the main landing gear down (so the wheels are closer together) a little so you raise the tail. This requires you to give a little up elevator to get her off the ground, but that's not a problem for me and made mine go straight as an arrow down the runway.
d) When you think you have it all in order...turn both your receiver and transmitter on, set the rudder trim on the tx to the middle and roll the plane on a flat surface. If it goes straight...you are in business, otherwise you can re-adjust the wheel servo linkage or try adjusting the trim on the transmitter.

You will want to make sure it rolls straight before you try a takeoff yourself...otherwise you will be fighting it all the way down the runway.

Hope that helps...

Welcome to the addiction...can't wait to hear about your first flight and your first landing.

Remember...taking off is the second most terrifying experience in model aviation...landing is the first!
Old 06-24-2005, 12:58 PM
bruce88123

Excellent points in #5 shussey. Congratulations on your solo, a great feeling I know.

Flying is tough enough that you don't need to fight the plane while on the ground. Far too many young pilots have their nose steering far too sensitive and end up darting back and forth across the runway. I guess they think they are on a road race track or something. Perhaps a carryover from rc cars/trucks in their pasts. I typically set my nosewheel up so I can just barely make a U-turn on the runway if I use the entire width. What more do you need? OK, I lied. I have dual rates on my rudder but I have low rate set up like that for takeoff
Old 06-24-2005, 01:50 PM
Pilot Chad

I agree with the nosewheel it can be hard, i also reccomend the inner most hole. As you progess, you will be able to hold rudder to correct it slighty on take off. I would get and instructor to get it trimmed in the air, and then adjust the nosewheel accordingly.

Also, After a bit of flying you might consider some Dubro Landing gear. From what i have seen that nexstar gear si very hard to get a no bounce landing.

Make SURE you break your engine in how it says to also.

The simulator will help you alot also.

-Chad
Old 06-24-2005, 02:40 PM
britbrat

The Nexstar gear is fine -- just make sure that it is solidly "clicked" into place.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:07 PM
shakes268

If you run into an issue where the gear doesn't want to lock into place, take a dremel and grind off a little at each of the ends that insert into the fuselage. The problem with them not locking occurs when the metal is too long and they "collide" inside the fuselage not allowing for a proper lock ont the tabs.

The Nexstar can bounce on landings - I bounced mine quite a bit when learning but I don't bounce any more. Those aweful bounces taught me to land correctly and get the act of flaring down. If you replace them and subvert the bounce due to new gear you might run into trouble later on with a different airplane by not knowing how to land correctly.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:42 PM
bruce88123

Yeah, but if you do it Chad's way you don't have to learn how to land correctly do you? Isn't that the best way????
Old 06-24-2005, 04:50 PM
Pilot Chad

Bruce,
I know how ot land correctly. I just find it easier to use Dubro Gear. It also improves ground handling..
Old 06-24-2005, 05:03 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pilot Chad

From what i have seen that nexstar gear si very hard to get a no bounce landing.

-Chad
Since when [X(]..I have flown about 6 of these now with/for various students and grease more landing than I bounce easily. Most students learn very quickly to grease this plane as it's very easy to land, just like most any trainer out there.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:16 PM
bruce88123

Chad - It is easier to use the gear designed to work with the plane without modification and that works fine. I have flown several Nexstars with students and there are no bouncing problems if flown properly and that is what training is for. And the stock gear on the Nexstar taxi's just fine as well. I know you seemed to have an issue with the gear on your SuperStar but please don't attribute it's problems to all other aircraft as well.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:49 PM
RAGII

I too learned on the NexStar and found the simulator a great help. After a few sessions with the instructor they stated I was ready to solo. I thought they had more confidence in my abilities than I did but, took their advice and soloed. I also recommend disabling the AFS when you start to learn. On one of the early flights my instructor hooked it up to see what it would do and we had a blast with it. We would stall the plane in a climb, invert it, all kinds of positions (up high of course) to see how it would react. I will say that it does work as advertised, however it does tend to teach you bad habits. The speed brakes are good while first learning to land. When you take them off, you will need to adjust your elevator trim. Have fun and enjoy flying this plane.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:06 PM
stunner

i will make sure to keep this up to date with flight images and videos. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:19 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

From what i have seen that nexstar gear si very hard to get a no bounce landing.
I converted an Avistar to taildragger with a Du-Bro gear and bounce like heck on landing...probably because the only landing I tried with a taildragger configuration was a dead stick landing after 3 months of no flying. [X(]

Stunner-

I don't know if its too late, but I'd get the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLN91&P=7]Tower Hobbies Tower Power Glo-Starter Standard w/Meter[/link] because the meter tells you if the glow plug is bad, as well as if the battery is dead.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:03 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The last student I taught to fly (just soloed 3 weeks together) had a Nexstar. Although I don't agree with all the "gadgets" on the plane, it's actually a very good flying plane once you get going with it. And yes, you can do a "no bounce" landing with this plane. I'm going to let you in on a little secret, "greasing" a landing has very little to do with the landing gear on the plane. It has to do with practice. I've been flying for 9 years and I still go out and just practice doing landings. I'll got through 3-4 tanks of fuel doing touch and goes. Equipment can never replace skills.