Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How do you get your models/supplies?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.
View Poll Results: A poll
I order everything online. It's the only way!
14.52%
I get the catalog and phone in my orders.
0%
I order the big ticket items over the phone and everything else online
0%
Ordering? I support my local hobby shop 100%
19.35%
If I'm in a pinch I go to the hobby shop, otherwise I order online!
66.13%
I get everything offline, some from the shop and some from catalogs.
0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

How do you get your models/supplies?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 11:05 AM
BUflash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you get your models/supplies?

With so many options for purchasing model aviation products, I was wondering if many people embrace the internet the way I do, or if the "old fashioned" way is still the most common.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:10 PM
grayle

Default RE: How do you get your models/supplies?

This poll doesn't seem to work. I can't choose my selection. To me it really depends on price, and the gotta have it now factor!!
Old 06-23-2005, 12:21 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

I was thinking the same thing, none of the categories really apply well to me. For stuff I need quickly, like some CA or an servo extension for a weekend project, I'll visit the LHS because I can get it now. For run of the mill items I keep a supply of, but don't need now, which could be like CA, epoxy, extra hinges, gear sets, a servo, etc., I'll order online to save a few bucks over the LHS, such as at Tower. For more expensive specialty items, such as high end engines and plane kits, I tend to buy from smaller companies that cater to my plane types like Central, DA or Carden, I do my foot work online, but I call to place the order and to have any questions answered before I plunk down a zillion dollars. Cheers.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

for me i will get everything at the LHS except planes themselves. I also buy all the small things there. I'm only 15 and they love it when i come in. Most of the time i go in there to spend 30 bucks, come out spending 50....
Old 06-23-2005, 12:28 PM
BUflash

Sorry about that! It's fixed now.

ORIGINAL: grayle

This poll doesn't seem to work. I can't choose my selection. To me it really depends on price, and the gotta have it now factor!!
Old 06-23-2005, 12:42 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Well, I voted for the "in a pinch thing", but the reality is that my LHS never seems to have what I need. So, more and more, when I am in a pinch, I just overnight the order. I try to support the LHS, but they are ill equiped to deal with a model builder. They rarely carry those odd ball mechanisms and supplies that a builder wouldn't normally have on hand. I find just as much hardware at ACE, or Hobby Lobby. There is a tiny LHS right in my neigborhood, and I do count on them for fuel.

It seems the key to success for the builder in the 21st century, is to plan ahead and have as much of the materials in advance as possible.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:48 PM
DamonTX

I tried to support my LHS but once again my LHS has gone out of business. This has happened to me twice now in the past two places I've lived.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:09 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: DamonTX

I tried to support my LHS but once again my LHS has gone out of business. This has happened to me twice now in the past two places I've lived.
And with this statement, hobby shop owners across America are suddenly thinking "DamonTX, please don't move here".
Old 06-23-2005, 02:49 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

The nearest hobby shop is two hours away at 80 mph That makes it necessary to order online.

----------------------

Wyoming Wind Festival Jan 1 to Dec 31
Old 06-23-2005, 02:53 PM
BUflash

I'm with ya on this one. Being in the greater boston area there are definitely many hobby shops scattered around but most a good hike from my house. The closest one seems to have most of what I need, but seldom the brands/varieties I prefer. Like you, I still do depend on them for fuel. Ordering fuel is a PITA online. I seldom have the need for a whole case.

ORIGINAL: kingwoodbarney

Well, I voted for the "in a pinch thing", but the reality is that my LHS never seems to have what I need. So, more and more, when I am in a pinch, I just overnight the order. I try to support the LHS, but they are ill equiped to deal with a model builder. They rarely carry those odd ball mechanisms and supplies that a builder wouldn't normally have on hand. I find just as much hardware at ACE, or Hobby Lobby. There is a tiny LHS right in my neigborhood, and I do count on them for fuel.

It seems the key to success for the builder in the 21st century, is to plan ahead and have as much of the materials in advance as possible.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:57 PM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The poll still doesn't offer all options, in an attempt to be humorous you're over complicating it.

I buy some large ticket items online, over the phone (from Tower usually, but I don't send CC info over the net), but if my local hobby shop has the same item at a reasonable price I buy there.

(Your third choice could be the same thing, as in my case, and you don't list "buy big ticket items from a cataolg or online, everything else at the LHS.)

I try to buy everything from the LHS, but sometimes will place a large order from a mail order company.
Dennis-
Old 06-23-2005, 03:08 PM
txaggie08

i putis upport the LHS, but its a situation were he has just as good of price, with better convinience, so its easier to buy from him. i order offline every once in a while
Old 06-23-2005, 03:22 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Nearest LHS to my house is 90 miles. I usually have a list that I add to as I need things. I try to keep everyday modeling supplies such as covering, balsa, glue and small fittings stocked ahead. Some of our club members jokingly call me the local hobby supply and they call to see if I have what they might need. I don't sell anything, I just give it away if it isn't something like an engine or kit. I get paid back when I need something someone else has on their shelf. Our club gets along fine this way. We had an LHS but he didn't work out too well and is long gone.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:41 PM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

I've purchased two planes from LHS. The others online, even one on ebay. Both my radios and all servos, online.

Misc items like servo extensions, fuel, glow plugs, props, prop nuts, wheel collars, epoxy brushes and minor hardware all at LHS.

I have a high maintenance wife, a 3 yr old son, a mortage, 3 car payments, a dog and a fish so I have to save money where I can in this hobby.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:47 PM
kerrydel
My Feedback: (2)

I have 3 local hobby shops, and even if you combined all the inventories, it wouldn't add up to 1 GOOD hobby shop.

Kerry
Old 06-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Broken

ORIGINAL: kingwoodbarney

Couldn't have expressed it any better...

In this "Builder Unfriendly" world of rc planes I have began to skip the LHS and hobby distributor and go to the source for exotic parts. Why buy five bolts when I can get 500 nearly the same price.....
Old 06-23-2005, 04:13 PM
carrellh

It depends...
Fuel - we made a large order (34 cases) and got a discount and free shipping 2 years ago. If we don't do that again I'll go to the LHS for a new supply
Kits & ARFs - the LHSs around here sell for the same price as mail order, occasionally less. Unless mail order is offering a discount (or the LHS doesn't have it) I try to buy these locally.
Radios - I mail order these because the LHSs are not at all price competitive
Hardware, covering, etc - if I'm looking at enough stuff to get free shipping I mail order, otherwise I buy locally
Old 06-23-2005, 04:23 PM
rcmiket

In my case I use Online and my LHS. 9 times out of 10 the LHS will meet the online price. Several times beat it. If I had to order every bolt and prop I've needed to go fly then I would miss out on some great flying days. I'm glad to have my LHS and happy to support them. Mike
Old 06-23-2005, 04:35 PM
Pilot Chad

I get all the tid bits at the LHS. Most of their prices on big things are like ordering from tower and then adding shipping, so it is equal. I got my radio from there because they were cheaper than tower. I also get ALL tid bits from there. However, if they don't carry what i need i will order it. I don't beleieve they carry any sig kits...

-Chad
Old 06-23-2005, 07:10 PM
ICE_MAN

I try to get all my stuff from the LHS.... I even order ARF's through him just cause he'll get the sell.... Ours is Like a "Mom and Pop" hobby shop... The Guy Has all his planes in the front room... All his Building stuff in the Next room "99.9% of the time we show up he's building..Then all the merchandise in the next room.. He spent 2 hours working on my plane for me one day.. used some of his materials and didnt charge me anything!
Old 06-23-2005, 10:54 PM
piper28

LHS here just plain sucks since the bigger one went out of business. I only visit the one left in a dire emergency, and quite frankly, it costs and arm and a leg to do it for most things. They tend to look at you funny if you want anything to do with airplanes. They do have a small balsa supply, but beyond that, I'm not sure their plane stuff takes up more than about 6 feet of horizontal space along the wall. I bought some CA there because I was desperate, but felt like I was mugged in the process.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:15 AM
Pilot Chad

Mine is mom and pop also ice. The guy will match any price. VERY nice guy and will make sure he can help you out. The other day i went in for backplate screws. He didn't have the O.S. ones, but searched through all the parts he had and got ones that worked. Also, they have ANY part you could possibly need. and can get it FAST...
Old 06-24-2005, 02:10 PM
BUflash

Your point is well seen, it seems I missed a category. I have added "I get everything offline, some from the shop and some from catalogs.". Unfortunately since you already voted you may not be able to take advantage of this new option, but hopefully some other can weigh in over the weekend!

ORIGINAL: DBCherry

...and you don't list "buy big ticket items from a cataolg or online, everything else at the LHS.)

I try to buy everything from the LHS, but sometimes will place a large order from a mail order company.
Dennis-
Old 06-24-2005, 08:37 PM
GRANT ED

At the moment I get most of my stuff from my LHS. I have a good friend that works there and I get most things at a discount. Before he was there I got the big $$ items online and the cheaper stuff (hardware, glue etc) at my LHS.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:33 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

None of the polling options really fit for me. I purchase from both online retailers and from LHSs about equally. If the local shop has something I want, I'll buy it there. The convenience can't be beat. If I can't find it locally, or it's a specialty item, I can almost always find it somewhere online. The selection can't be beat. For older or out of production items I search the online auctions.

Auctions are my favorite source of kits. Gotta go, I have to unwrap the 88" SBD-5 that just arrived at my door!

Scott

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.