Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

NEXSTAR ARF .....PROBLEMS...PROBLEMS

Old 09-11-2005, 06:06 AM
ashley95

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEXSTAR ARF .....PROBLEMS...PROBLEMS

seems to me, as an instructor, that after 4 flights your rushin it landing and takin off. ive trained people using the hobbico with no probs.
perhaps your main gear isnt aligned with each other.
try this too, on take off hold just a bit of up elevator as your spped increases a bit more (takes weight off the nose) if the aircraft still veers its the mains or the alierons.
hobbico's are alright research and fix
Old 04-02-2006, 10:42 PM
garywi
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My Nexstar has not given me any of these problems discussed...until today. The bouncy main gear was just too much, so we drilled holes and safety wired them to each other. The very next landing, I touched down a little hard, but not too hard.. on the left main and the strut ripped up into the bottom of the fuse, and tore up the bulsa. Now that side of the gear does not snap in like it used to. My instructor was speachless, as it was not a hard landing (had 35 years experience).

Do you think Hobbico will replace?

G
Old 04-04-2006, 08:20 AM
britbrat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JunkYardDawg

My nexStar had a problem with wing incidence being off two degrees negative and corrected by shimming the wing mounting and its at three quarters postive degree and it flys beautifully now before it was so hard on take offs and not flyin smoothly in the air. I used a great planes laser incidence meter and its works nice. Its best check that with a new plane. It was too late for Me to return it to hobbico for a replacement plane. Now gone about three gallons of nitro fuel and flies like a charm. NexStar is a great plane to work with when I crashed it big time tore off landing gear after a hard landing and rebuilt firewall. Happy landings Everyone
I know that this is an old post, but I just noticed it. The wing incidence is supposed to be minus 2 deg. He fixed a problem that wasn't there.

The neg incidence is designed to help counter the powerfull lift effects from the speed brakes & wing droops. When the brakes & droops are removed, the neg incidence actually helps inverted flight.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:53 PM
stunner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

my nexstar on takeoff seems real wobbely but once u get it up to a decent airspeed and a high altidude its a blast. i can pull loop rolls inverted flight, i even pulled a cuban 8 that was really fun.i have crashed once or twice a little epoxy and its good to go. well mabey i have crashed it 3 times but who counts.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:41 PM
lanpc
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, there seems to be problems with a lot of Nextars coming out right now. All tend to veer right....Yes right when throttle is applied. If it veers in any direction it should be left. No, the nose wheel is straight. This problem also is visible in the air. Slow the aircraft down to Minimum Controllable Airspeed (MCA) and then apply full power. Aircraft yaws right....and if power is not reduced will do a flat right turn. This is our clubs introflight aircraft and instructors as well as the president flew the plane. Hobby Services was contacted and they had us return the aircraft (ARF). They sent new one and it did the same thing. I was out at the field today. Two new Nextar RTF were at the field, all had the same problem. Sounds like Hobbico has a factory defect on a "lot" comming from over seas and may need to address the problem. We have not put a incidence meter on the horizontal stab yet, but it looks like there is down incidence on the horizontal stab as well. Good luck. We have advised our students to return the Nextars.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:33 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

this may be a new thing withh this plane my NEXTAR flys well at any speed but mine is almost 3 years old now have crashed her a few times, as all trainers get ,and still flys great .to garywi good luck getting a replacement after mods usually companys will not honor waranty the landing gear is supposed to be a bit flexable to absorb hard landings . after a long flight season my gear broke I just put epoxy at the broken gear section, the plywood had blown up and balanced her out an your ready to go. some have done the tail dragger thing left mine stock and built a different tail dragger instead for the guys that have the newer ones if you can check yours aganst the older models there might be a differance, dont know so far this has been a durable plane and pretty fun to boot I just wish it would stop raining . BTW GO GIANTS!! opening day was today yea!
Old 11-16-2006, 12:18 AM
wetsu82

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a nexstar and I have no problem taking off, flying or landing, and this is my first glo plane. I learned on a slo v electric....I don't understand, the only thing I can think of is the wind blowing and the plane being so light it turns. But mine goes airborne in a very short distance anyway. For the price and performance, it is hard to beat the nexstar....would you sell it cheap?
Old 11-16-2006, 12:45 AM
stunner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i had the same problem my fix was simply unscrewing the front bolt on the wheel strut which keeps it from moving then move the wheel until it is straight may take a few tries. then screw the bolt back in. make sure to hold the strut while turning the screw in because it has a tendency to move.fixed my problem.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:19 AM
north19465

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guys... Excellent Post ! learned alot here. I've flown helicopters for a year and thinking of buying a nexstar. They say "Experience is the Best Teacher" Sounds like everybody has learned something here. I'am buying one! Thanks everybody.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:52 PM
AugerOne

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

bought my nexstar used at a lhs...came with these little blocks attached to the servo horns with set screws that the pushrods run thru...they make the nose gear adjustment really easy...don't know if these are stock but i really like them.

as for the right thrust, i had the same problem at WOT. I just installed washers behind one side of the mount to correct. 1/2 throttle take off is plenty and no tendency to yaw. I'm guessing that they attemted to counter the natural left turn tendency and over compensated.

I read earlier posts about the wing bolt being stripped out. I tighten mine with a small screwdriver between two fingers until it gets hard to turn. Never a problem and no slop.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:05 PM
XxOoCoBrAoOxX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Love my NEXSTAR!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Andrew Lumley

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AugerOne

bought my nexstar used at a lhs...came with these little blocks attached to the servo horns with set screws that the pushrods run thru...they make the nose gear adjustment really easy...don't know if these are stock but i really like them.

as for the right thrust, i had the same problem at WOT. I just installed washers behind one side of the mount to correct. 1/2 throttle take off is plenty and no tendency to yaw. I'm guessing that they attemted to counter the natural left turn tendency and over compensated.

I read earlier posts about the wing bolt being stripped out. I tighten mine with a small screwdriver between two fingers until it gets hard to turn. Never a problem and no slop.

those parts are stock, and I don't have any problems with my nexstar
Old 05-07-2009, 12:25 PM
hogflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AugerOne

...as for the right thrust, i had the same problem at WOT. I just installed washers behind one side of the mount to correct. 1/2 throttle take off is plenty and no tendency to yaw. I'm guessing that they attemted to counter the natural left turn tendency and over compensated.

I've flown some NextStar's that exhibit this right pulling tendency and some that don't. One I have in the closet had this issue and I put two washers under the right engine mount to shim it out around 1/8" and that problem was solved. I think the issue has to do with one of the assembly jigs used (I'm sure they have more than one fuselage assembly jig, maybe Bax can chime in on this) - the portion that locates the firewall is off just enough to build in this right thrust.

One way to determine if the plane has to much right thrust is to take it up and start looping with full power, the kill the engine and loop it dead stick. If the plane wants to roll out to the right under power but not dead stick, the there is too much right thrust in the firewall.

Hogflyer
Old 07-31-2011, 05:38 AM
5anace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your problem is quite simply solved. If the aircraft won't taxi straight it can't possibly hope to take off straight. You simply recentre the rudder servo and adjust the clevise to centre the rudder.

My problem with the kit is that I can't get the blind bolt at the trailing edge of the wing to go into the blind nut. No how. No way.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:09 PM
treehanger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Check out the second tech notice here. Taper on screw may help. It did on mine.
http://www.hobbico.com/techsupport/hcaa2025tech.html
Bob
Old 08-03-2011, 01:38 PM
5anace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, I'll certainly give it a try.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Nitro Ray

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am working on converting my 2nd Nexstar I recently aquired for some work I did into a tail dragger, and will probally take the dehedral out of the wing. I need to pick up some wood. I will post some pics when I get the project under way. My fist Nexstar (first plane) is still running strong, she is a bit banged up but still a decent flyer. I did the flap and dual servo conversion to that one, I will probally keep her stock. If I like the way my 2nd one flys after all mods, I might consider doing it to that one too.

I had some tracking issues too, It just needed some wheel adjustments and some thrust adjustment.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Sourkraut

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Nitro Ray

I am working on converting my 2nd Nexstar I recently aquired for some work I did into a tail dragger, and will probally take the dehedral out of the wing. I need to pick up some wood. I will post some pics when I get the project under way. My fist Nexstar (first plane) is still running strong, she is a bit banged up but still a decent flyer. I did the flap and dual servo conversion to that one, I will probally keep her stock. If I like the way my 2nd one flys after all mods, I might consider doing it to that one too.

I had some tracking issues too, It just needed some wheel adjustments and some thrust adjustment.

Your going to love taking off, flying, and landing the NexStar with the taildragger and dihedral remover mod.....I sure did!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51251.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1687550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55603.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1687551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17259.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1687552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39767.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1687553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju12436.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1687554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gw29666.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1687555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vx45172.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1687556  
Old 11-17-2011, 03:22 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A few years, there was a plane that was much like a NexSTAR with no dihedral but it was a trike. It was a Midwest Aerobat. Minnflyer did a review on it which led me to buy one. It was such a fun plane to fly. It was a semi-symetrical wing, though, not a flat bottom wing, if I recall correctly. I'll have to look at Minnflyers review to recall what it was. Here is the link.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...fm?kit_id=2569

Unfortunately, one day, it was windy out and I flew it, oh, four or five flights. After the last flight, I landed just fine, taxied over to the pits and shut it down. I put it on the ground next to the work bench and walked over to my car to get something. A gust of wind came, picked up the plane, flipped it over, and crunched the area of the fuselage where the front of the wing sets in... broke it all to hell. There was also damage to the vertical stab and to the area around the tail feathers.

I still have the plane but other projects led me away from it, but it still sits there waiting me to fix it and get it back up. I was thinking of making it a tail dragger, though.

If the Nexstar conversion flys like that, well you will have a lot of fun with it.

CGr.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Photoman228

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The problem is that the engines are not center line mounted for some reason orinaccuratelymounted. So first check that. Mine was off to the left.
Also many have added 1/16"+/- shim under right side of engine (looking forward from tail) which will offset some of reverse torque you are getting. If you watch, notice that on landings the plane will track straight in idle which confirms it is not a gear alignment issue. However when half throttle+ is added you go right.
It's all about thrust and alignment at full power.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:07 PM
red head

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Photoman : Welcome to the forum . I'm not picking just letting you in on a little secret , at the top of each post there is a date of the last post . You just posted an answer to a post of about 2 years ago. That's cool as we all do it now and then . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 07-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Photoman228

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh I was aware of that, actually goes back to 2006 or so. But the last was 2011. This is an issue with the Nexstar and I was just adding my 2¢ figuring someone may be looking for an answer. I'm building a full size RV-8 and this is just the plane I play with at the hangar when not bucking rivets. I have a lot of time on it and many mods. Centering the engine mount and adding a shim under engine mount on right cleared up the veer right rendency. My engine was 3/16 left of center and canted to right 2º.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:36 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the biggest mistake with the Nextar it seems is people were hammering the throttle down on take off resulting in the veer off, I really never had any trouble with this plane other than the landing gear after a crash and that was a easy fix when using some common sense.

the offset was intentional in the design to make it easy for beginners to control it.

seems like a good amount of people are concerned with the offset of the engine but there are allot of arf's that incorporate it into there design including several of my Hangar-9 warbirds I don't see any problem with it other than over aggressive throttle up, a nice smooth stick results in a easy graceful take off.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:46 AM
jetmech05

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The post that will not die. Every 2 years someone yells clear and then We have sinus
Rythm
Old 07-20-2013, 02:21 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, Don, there are those that absolutely hate the Nexstar and there are those that love 'em. There doesn't seem to be any in-between. I had one, way back when they first came out, and learned to fly with it. We tried it with and without the AFS and opted to disconnect it. I ended up selling it to someone that had to have it. I'm not sure why. But, nevertheless, I learned to fly with it and, well, loved it. I don't know if I am in the minority or the majority, but, either way, I don't much care.

But, as you said, I don't much know why this keeps coming up every so often, but it does.

CGr.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.