Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I'm a Flyer not a builder

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I'm a Flyer not a builder

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 01:48 PM
thundervee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm a Flyer not a builder

Would some of you please tell me the right way to repair this wing, I am a flyer but am I ain't a builder, It looks like an easy repair but I don't want to do it and it not be correct. Thank's in advance for the help guy's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49320.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	292492  
Old 07-02-2005, 01:17 AM
Chevalier

Default RE: I'm a Flyer not a builder

You're right this repair isn't bad at all.

1. The horizontal crack in the rib looks clean you can move the rib back into position and glue with thin CA, then add a small piece of sheeting to the inside of the rib to strengthen it.

2. Removed the forward portion of the damaged rib, cut the rib out just in front of the spar ( the begining of the hole ) Then sand the bottom sheeting and the cut you made to make them smooth. ( little hardwood sanding sticks work well for this. ) Then you need to remake the rib, copy from plans, trace around a rib on the wing finsih sand till it matches the other rib. Then glue in place and add another little bit of sheeting on the inside of the crack to reinforce.

3. Use a straight edge and exacto knife to make the hole in the sheeting square. then remove the excess sheeting and balsa wood from the spar. Cut small pieces of balsa sheeting and glue under the existing sheeting, leaving a 1/4" or so sticking out. ( this gives somehting for the new sheeting to be glued to. ) Do this to the three other edges. Finsih with one piece of sheeting large enough to fill the hole. Glue in place a little more sanding, and maybe wood filler and recover.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:12 AM
Timthetoolman1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is San Leon? Some one might be able to come by and help you with it. It doesn't look bad. I would make a new rib for the one closest. Then cut the sheeting back to the rib that is still in place and has sheeting on all of it. Make the front half of that rib so you can glue on new sheeting and square off all the damaged sheeting and go on with a new piece, cover and you're done. IMO. Oh, you'll need to clean of that spar too, it looks like it's still in good shape.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:22 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Yep, easy repair.

Remove some sheeting to square it off, CA a small scrap under the old sheeting leaving half of it exposed. That way you'll have something for the new sheeting to sit on. Then CA it.

Once you've done the repairs in the photo, make a new wingtip out of balsa and recover.
Dennis-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20859.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	292715  
Old 07-02-2005, 07:37 AM
bruce88123

thundervee - I know right where you are located. You are in the Texas City Club, right? I almost stopped in a couple of weeks ago when I was in the Galveston area but ran out of time. There should be members in your club who can assist on the relatively minor repair if needed. Don't be shy to ask them for advice.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:11 AM
thundervee

Thank's alot guy's for the help, I think I can do it now, DBCherry thank's for the pic. I really appreciate the way ya'll are alway's willing to help around here. Thank's again..
Old 07-02-2005, 10:54 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have a look at this too:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...?article_id=98
Old 07-02-2005, 11:42 AM
bruce88123

I remembered that article but couldn't remember where to tell him to find it. Excellent graphics as usual Minn.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:35 PM
thundervee

Thank's Minn!