Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Evolution 46 Break In

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Evolution 46 Break In

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 04:16 PM
shussey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution 46 Break In

Hi - I just bought a new Evolution 46 engine after a disaster with my NexStar...See this link http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3137540/tm.htm.

To answer the obvious question...had I solo'd - Yes....What happened in the crash? Dumb mistake on my part - plain old disorientation. Thought she was still going away on the first turn at relatively low altitude and I just lawn darted her. Still make me sick to think about.

I was puzzled to find there is nothing in the instructions about break in.

What recommendations do you all have for breaking in an Evolution or any engine for that matter.

I replaced the nexstar with a cheapie ARF - Sky Raider and want to get her up this weekend, but want to break in the engine appropriately.

Old 07-08-2005, 04:19 PM
warhead13

Default RE: Evolution 46 Break In

I have an Evo .40... Supposedly the Evolution line is already broken in from the factory and doesn't require your typical break in procedures. AT least thats what the little bit of info that came with my Evo says... But Who knows?
Old 07-08-2005, 04:57 PM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

yea the engine is already broken in but that doesn't mean you won't have to to tweak the needles
Old 07-08-2005, 05:08 PM
LuckyArmpit

I had bought my Evo .46 last year for use in a Twist. Its now in a Sig Kougar. However, for what they say, they are full of BS.
If my Evo was broke in from factory, why was the low end needle screwed completely shut? In any event, I'd run a tank or two thru it and then adjust your needles. And, take off those silly limiter things on both needle valves. Mine took awhile to run half decent. I've been running 15% Coolpower lately and the Evo seems to me to run a bit better.

Dave...
Old 07-09-2005, 07:55 AM
Backwing
My Feedback: (3)

Mine ran sweet out of the box, but just to be certain, I've been running it a couple clicks rich on the high end.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:31 AM
Fastsky

The EVO engines seem to be a mixed bag. I have seen some show up at the field and run great out of the box. I bought the 60 size based on that and am still trying to get it to run properly. I read where the baffel plate in the muffler has small notches that aren't up enough. I removed mine and yes, they were barely open enough to let any exhaust get past. I opened them up but haven't had a chance to try the engine again to see if that solves the problem. Good luck with yours! [8D]
Old 07-09-2005, 08:39 AM
LuckyArmpit

Fastsky, you are correct. There have been a few Evo's at the field where some have run good from the get-go and others, like crap.
Mine was like crap but it runs pretty good now.
Boy, you have a nice list of warbirds. I have a couple but they are of the electric variety.

Dave...
Old 07-10-2005, 09:37 AM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

The Evo engines ARE NOT, I repeat, ARE NOT broken in at the factory! They are "run in", supposedly to set the carb. But, those settings are not going to be accurate for every region of the country. I've read so many posts about "my Evo ran like crap out of the box, yadda, yadda, yadda". Well, if I am flying at 760 ft above sea level, and you are flying at 3700 ft above sea level, OF COURSE your engine is not going to run like mine does, and your setting are going to be way different than mine! People, it's not hard to figure out that one setting won't work for every engine out there. That's exactly why the needle stops on the Evo engines are made so that the user can re-adjust them to get more adjustment range. If one setting worked on every engine they made, they wouldnt need to have adjustable needle valves and idle screws in the first place, now would they? As far as break in, I personally broke in my Evo .46 (and now my Evo .61) just like any other ABC type engine. I ran 5 tanks of fuel through the .46 before I ever mounted it on the plane. When I mounted it, I set the needle valves (yes, I had to move the stops to get the perfect setting), and the engine ran perfectly. The engine has only quit in flight twice, and that was because I had the throttle trim set incorrectly on the radio. Regardless of what the factory says, a good break in goes a long way!