Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Radio question FM/PCM

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Radio question FM/PCM

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 01:45 PM
gstanfield

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio question FM/PCM

I am building my first kit plane and it is a SIG 1/5th Cub. Things are going rgeat so far and I am nearing the point of needing to buy my electrinics. I was wondering what is the difference in FM and PCM, what does PCM stand for and which should I run in this plane. The club trainer has FM as well as the only planes I've ewver run and I'll admit to not doing much research on this but thought maybe someone could point me in the right direction here.

Thanks,
George
Old 07-09-2005, 03:36 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Radio question FM/PCM

PCM is also FM, but is a digitized signal, stands for Pulse Code Modulation. It's greatest advantage is that it is less susceptible to RF interference, crosstalk from adjacent channels , and such. It's not absolutely necessary, but if your budget allows, go with the PCM receiver. HOWEVER---this requires a PCM transmitter, and most of the newer computer radios are PCM / FM capable. I have the 149DP Rx in my 1/5 Sig L-4, and use the Futaba 9C transmitter. It is PCM as well as FM, you just change the parameter when you select a particular plane on its menu (you can hold 12 different planes in the memory)

BTW, you're gonna LOVE the Cub, it's a great build and a great flying plane. I've got a .65 Saito in mine, what's in yours?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31675.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	295301  
Old 07-09-2005, 04:50 PM
gstanfield

I still haven't decided on the powerplant yet, but will be using a 4 stroke, just not sure what size as i am wanting scale flight out of it, not the ability to take off using 1/3 throttle. I will probably end up a little underpowered, but as I said, I still havn't decided for sure yet. Currenttle the plane is about 20-30% finished as for the woodwork, so I still have a long way to go, just trying to plan out things.

Thanks,
George
Old 07-09-2005, 09:52 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thing about this Cub is that it won't take much to fly it, power-wise, but you might want a little extra for those aborted approaches, crosswind takeoffs where the plane "weathervanes" in a gust, etc. A .56 will be just fine to fly it with a little reserve, not much; the .65 is perfect, for mine anyway, because I built it a bit on the heavy side (10 pounds), and the .65 turns a scale 14 inch prop, if that is important to you. Do you plan on "paper or plastic" for your cover (fabric or MonoCote). Happy building, Ken
Old 07-09-2005, 09:55 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

slightly off but...you mentioned it is your first kit....and based on the other questions....

is it your first plane?
Old 07-10-2005, 01:02 PM
gstanfield

To answer your question, yes this is my first kit as well as muy first plane, but not the first I've flown, just the first that is mine. Our club has a trainer and so I didn't see the need of buying a trainer as I have access to the club trainer pretty much anytime. I am making progress on the building of it, but it is going slowly, but I am home as I as in an explosion at work and so I now have some time at home with nothing to do but heal (burns suck!!) I welcome any and all advice in the buildup of this project and thank you for the help so far.

George

EDIT: To answer the other question I will be covering it with monocote (at least this is my plan at this point)