Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Nexstar questions

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Nexstar questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 04:17 PM
woosh
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nexstar questions

I am new to airplanes and I just got my Nexstar put together but I have a question about my controls. I have all the control rods installed (minus the servos) and I don't see how my servos could operate the elevator, tail rudder, and ailerons because there is so much friction in linkage. Is this a build problem or is there supposed to be friction in the control linkage.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:01 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Nexstar questions

ORIGINAL: woosh

I am new to airplanes and I just got my Nexstar put together but I have a question about my controls. I have all the control rods installed (minus the servos) and I don't see how my servos could operate the elevator, tail rudder, and ailerons because there is so much friction in linkage. Is this a build problem or is there supposed to be friction in the control linkage.
Exactly how much friction is there. It should be nice and smooth in motion. Keep the rods in the correct plain when moving the push rods also. Keep them in the same location as if a servo is pushing or pulling on it. You can remove the rods to make sure that there is no bow in the rods and if so, use your abdomin to straigthen. Don't use your fingers as most would be tempted to. Surface area is too small. You stomach/chest area provides a better area to keep it straight. If you have to bend small sections, then your fingers can be used. The rods should be normally straight for the most part on this plane. I have taught many on the NextStar and never can across that problem. The most common problem is a lose motor mount and motor attachment.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:54 PM
captain_crash

woosh, a give away was when you said alerons, since there is no tubes there, I have to ask you if you glued in the hinges yourself (ARF) or did they come pre installed(RTF)..... if you did it yourself, I have to ask if the control surfaces move freely without any control rods attached???????? Captain Crash...
Old 07-10-2005, 10:42 PM
woosh

I'm sorry my ailerons are connected directly to the servo so there is no plastic tubing involved. I took everything appart and tried working the likage to try and free it. I don't know if it should move as free as the linkage going to the throttle or the nose gear. I think it's binding in the plastic tubing that goes from the servo compartment back to the tail and elevator, or the exit hole at the tail of the airplane. My Raptor 50 heli has none of this because all of the linkage is so close together that a binding in the plastic tubing can not happen . I was just wondering if I had to start bending control rods or this is a common problem with ARF planes. Captain Crash, no I did not glue the hinges myself. My plane is a Nexstar ARF. It has all the major componets pre-installed, all I have to do is install the servos and put the wings toghether and so on.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:17 AM
captain_crash

woosh....... howdy........ well since everything was pre installed( no globs of glue in the hinges) then DTB is right in line with his suggestions........ but his question is still unanswered, How much friction is there in the lines??? Since you previously ran Helis, you just might be experiencing "normal" drag in the control lines, expecting less drag... They should be smooth but not sticky...... Happy Trails........ Captain Crash...
Old 07-12-2005, 10:12 PM
woosh

I think it is just from the tubing that holds the control rods. like I said I never assembled a airplane before so maybe I am just getting upset over nothing. I will install the servos and go from there. Thanks guys.