Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

small plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

small plane

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 06:02 PM
txaggie08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small plane

i have little plane i was givin, and i dont know what to do with it.

Its a wing with a stick for a fuse and tailfeather in essence lol. fully symetrical airfoil, look to be big enough i might could get away with full size electronics. 37" wing span. i beleive it was called an aerobat or something like it.

Basicaly my question is, what should i do as far as electronics? should i go electric motor or a small gas motor?what sizes(of each) should i look into for it? illd like to be able to fly in small fields with this(maybe a largish school yard. just curious thanks for any help
Old 07-10-2005, 07:50 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: small plane

ORIGINAL: txaggie08

i have little plane i was givin, and i dont know what to do with it.

Its a wing with a stick for a fuse and tailfeather in essence lol. fully symetrical airfoil, look to be big enough i might could get away with full size electronics. 37" wing span. i beleive it was called an aerobat or something like it.

Basicaly my question is, what should i do as far as electronics? should i go electric motor or a small gas motor?what sizes(of each) should i look into for it? illd like to be able to fly in small fields with this(maybe a largish school yard. just curious thanks for any help
I think I know what you are talking about. It looks something like a Magic except there is a CF or FG rod for the fuse correct. What is the total weight of the plane. If it is what I think it is, you will probably have to go glow because it is heavy to be small.

Old 07-10-2005, 08:55 PM
txaggie08

this plane is actualy made out of foam core board. it looks alot liek that though, but it has two small blasa spars(3/16 square maple i beleive) and small sections of wing rib in the front. The other difference, the fuse is literaly a stick. its one long piece of solid balsa maybe 2fott be 1inc by 3/4 inch. ill tfry to get a weight.

If its similar to what your thinking, what size motor would i be needing? would the little plane be flyable in a smallish area(theres a field across the way from my apartments i could fly in........) and how loud are those little motors(only sub .40 size ive ever heard had no muffler.)
Old 07-10-2005, 09:12 PM
DTB

this plane is actualy made out of foam core board. it looks alot liek that though, but it has two small blasa spars(3/16 square maple i beleive) and small sections of wing rib in the front. The other difference, the fuse is literaly a stick. its one long piece of solid balsa maybe 2fott be 1inc by 3/4 inch. ill tfry to get a weight.

If its similar to what your thinking, what size motor would i be needing? would the little plane be flyable in a smallish area(theres a field across the way from my apartments i could fly in........) and how loud are those little motors(only sub .40 size ive ever heard had no muffler.)

The weight of that plane is needed first before any engine recommendations can be given and what type of flying do you want to do with it.

Can you take any photos?

Old 07-10-2005, 09:14 PM
txaggie08

yeah lemme work on it. how do you post pics on here?
Old 07-10-2005, 09:25 PM
txaggie08

it ways little enough my bathroom scale wont measure it lol. ill see if i still have my flyweight scale.....

lemme try the pick thing

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70825.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	295835  
Old 07-10-2005, 09:29 PM
DTB

yeah lemme work on it. how do you post pics on here?
During the posting click on the "Click here to upload" located in the lower left hand corner and then select where the image is and highlight it and click "open", then click "ok". I think that is how it is done from memory.

Old 07-10-2005, 09:32 PM
DTB

That is exactly the plane I was thinking of. I think my club member had a .40 2-strk on it, but if it is 3 lbs or less, you could use a .25FX or a .32.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:42 PM
txaggie08

a .40 on something this size? i dont think i could fit a fourty between the front forks

would a little motor like a .25 make for a nice slowflying model?
Old 07-10-2005, 10:07 PM
DTB

a .40 on something this size? i dont think i could fit a fourty between the front forks

would a little motor like a .25 make for a nice slowflying model?
It is hard to tell exactly how big/small that plane is. From what I've seen it looks like a .25 would fly it nicely. A .15 may do it. Just not sure about the size. It all depends on the weight to determine what motor is needed. I've got a Fat Free Taco which is a .25 size profile that weighs 3 pounds. I have a Saito 40 on it now but had a .25FZ which flew it fine also. I wanted more low end torque for 3D. My WS is 36". Your plane should weigh less than mine, so a .25 would work great and a .15 should work. The version my club member had was larger. He had a .40 2-strk on his, but his was larger than my Fat Free Taco, so you must have a smaller version of the same plane.

I am using 5 micro servos HS-85MG instead of standard servo. 2 HS-85 = 1 standardservo in weight.

Name:	Us17015.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	295856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71694.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	295857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36631.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	295858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93456.jpg
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	295859  
Old 07-10-2005, 10:18 PM
txaggie08

ah ic, this plane is about a foot long on the fuse and the three foot wing. i think ill try the .25 or the .15, because i want something slow enough i wouldnt have to go to the r/c field to use it.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:27 PM
DTB

ah ic, this plane is about a foot long on the fuse and the three foot wing. i think ill try the .25 or the .15, because i want something slow enough i wouldnt have to go to the r/c field to use it.
That depends on the characteristic of the plane. I don't think it is going to float like a foamy, but you may be able to fly it around at a soccer field or baseball field at a park. My Taco can be flown at a small field, but still needs a good setup to land unless I am doing a harrier landing then little space is needed to land. It drops out of the sky like a rock when the power is cut/lost. Glide radio is terrible on the Taco.

Out of curiosity, please let me know the weight of your plane before you add a motor.

Good luck.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:29 PM
txaggie08

i will. ill finish building it and get a weight soon
Old 07-12-2005, 08:40 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi mate dont put a 25 on it!!,that plane looks ideal for a size 10!!.even a 15 would make it verry fast ,i have a mustang with a 40 "wingspan a scratch build that weighs 2 lb 12 ounces and has a size 10 in it.its plenty of engine so im sure a 10 would be a great choice for yours too.lmao at a size 40 been suggested my god a size 40 would be way too big for it!!.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:46 PM
txaggie08

well i took it out to the field today. i managed to get it knocked off the table and broken by a storm(its fixable). I also found out the plane was rated for a fifteen, but doesnt fly well with it(instructor actualy had one before he got pissed and stompe on it lol). he said a little .25 he had made it work better. He also told me i need to shelf it for a bit, as its an extremely titchy little plane that i will slam into the ground pretty fast. i think ill set it back and work on a spad of some kind to fly around
Old 07-12-2005, 06:01 PM
DTB

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

hi mate dont put a 25 on it!!,that plane looks ideal for a size 10!!.even a 15 would make it verry fast ,i have a mustang with a 40 "wingspan a scratch build that weighs 2 lb 12 ounces and has a size 10 in it.its plenty of engine so im sure a 10 would be a great choice for yours too.lmao at a size 40 been suggested my god a size 40 would be way too big for it!!.
It's really all about what you want. A .40 would fly that plane with no problem, the problem would be balancing it. I personally overpower all my planes. Heck, my 40 size trainer (Superstar 40) has a Saito .72 spinning an APC 13x8. Many say oh my gosh, what are you thinking? However, when they see a trainer hovering and starting to torque roll 30 feet from the deck, it changes all that thinking quickly. Does the plane need that much to fly? Ofcourse not, but does it make it more interesting? You better believe it will.

Here are 2 videos of a Funtana 40 with a Saito 100. It's a perfect match in my eyes.

Funtana40 Freestyle Video

Funtana Vs. U-Can-Do Vertical Race

Old 07-13-2005, 02:20 AM
martno1fan

my point exactly mate ,it seems many people over power theyre planes .remember though this guy is a beginner so a 40 would be way too fast!! i stand by my 1st post i think a 10 would be plenty of engine to fly that plane for a beginner!.when hes used to it id say maybe a 25 but i wouldnt go any higher than that on that small plane.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:56 AM
RVator
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plane you have is a Fun-Bat from J&C Hobbies in Pittsburg,Pa. It is a .15 size combat plane. I have a new one in the box.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:59 AM
DTB

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

my point exactly mate ,it seems many people over power theyre planes .remember though this guy is a beginner so a 40 would be way too fast!! i stand by my 1st post i think a 10 would be plenty of engine to fly that plane for a beginner!.when hes used to it id say maybe a 25 but i wouldnt go any higher than that on that small plane.
Martno1fan, I stand correct. I forgot what section of the forum I was in. A beginner would have more difficulty than an established pilot with an over powered plane. A .25 could be used, but not sure if the throttle management capability would be there just yet and as you know, with over powered planes, that is a must to have. This is where the pilot would have to decide if he/she is capable of it and be honest with themselves.

Old 07-13-2005, 09:02 PM
txaggie08

I was learning on a .25 tiger with a .46 TT pro on it for a while......overpowered planes are neat to fly LOL.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

txaggie,
I reccomend a BUHOR, They are good and a little harder to fly than your trainer, yet they will be fun too. And a quick build. PM me for more details.

Back on track,
That is a neat plane.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:37 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

tx,

I'm not much of a SPAD person but take a look at [link=http://www.spadtothebone.com]spadtothebone[/link]. There are free plans for all sorts of SPAD's there from trainers on up. I would stay away from anything overpowered at this point. I'm definitely not trying to hold you back, but you need to gain a little more experience before moving up to something a little more aerobatic.

Fly the snot out of your trainer. You'll be amazed at what a trainer can actually do. It won't be pretty but you'll learn allot. If you really want a park flyer type plane then the [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=PKZ1300]Slo-V from Parkzone [/link] is a cool one to play with. A bunch of us have them to fly out in the parking lot at the LHS I work part time for. We have the combat modules on them and have a blast. Our LHS sells a ton of them since people see us flying them.

There are many many others in the category, so dig around a little bit and you'll be surprised at what you can find.

So you can see the size of our lot here is a couple of pics. It is taken form the far left hand corner if you were standing at the front door looking out towards the parking lot. As you can see we are talking maybe 75 feet at the most straight out and to the left. We very rarely get over the grass with these planes.

Name:	Tr51332.jpg
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	297117   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43790.jpg
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	297118  
Old 07-14-2005, 01:02 PM
txaggie08

i knew about spadtothebone, i actualy thought i was going to have to build a spadet when my first plane went south at full throttle, but thanks. Whatever i build, im going to try to stay away from nitro, and im going to try to stay away from anything more than a semi symetrical airfoil, as thats what my trainer is. i realy am not looking for a "second plane" or anything(i want to stay away from nitro if possible), i just want something to fly in a smaller area. its going to be very VERY hard for me to get to the field to fly while im at college station becasue of school(15 credit hours can cause that), and i would like something to take out in the largish fields around my apartment complex and practice on. the little plane i had, i didnt realise was going to be as advanced of plane as it was. i actualy might build a flat-bottomed airfoil version of it(even smaller) and try this 540 can on it.