Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Trainer for VT-49?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Trainer for VT-49?

Old 07-17-2005, 10:34 PM
Hellephant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trainer for VT-49?

My Father is retiring in 2 weeks and i managed to talk him into spending some of his new free-time doing R/C with me and my son. My son and i just started flying this year so I am by no means an expert. I just aquired (actually found) and old HP VT-49. Very dirty with alot of varnish, goop, and just general sticky stuff all over the inside...but very little wear. Turns out it only ran less than a dozen times, then was just sitting on a garage shelf for 20+ years. I'm looking for a ARF trainer to match this engine. I found that the VT-49 does not have the power that modern 4-cycles of this size do, so am looking for something that this engine can pull off a grass runway without too much of a problem.

Was leaning towards the LT-40 ARF, It's large wingspan and light weight seem to make this the logical choice. Any helpful comments would surely be welcome!!
Old 07-18-2005, 05:45 AM
jetmech05

Default RE: Trainer for VT-49?

i don't know what a vt-49 is. but the lt-40 is a great .40 size trainer. i have 2 students using it. i learned on it as did my then 9 yr old daughter.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:46 PM
gene2586
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Trainer for VT-49?

[8D] Hi, i have an HP VT-49 in my trainer and It's SUPER!! I have a Superstar ARF.
It weighs 5.5 lbs. I have a 10 oz. tank and get over 12 min. with a2-3 min reserve.
I fly at 2/3 throttle to maneuver and 1/2 throttle to do lazy 8's and racetrack ovals
around the pattern. If you adjust the balance properly so that you are barely nose down withan EMPTY fuel tank, you'll be right on! The easiest way to adjust balance fore and aft, is to move tha battery pack location. You can slide it under the fuel tank to get foreward wt. or behind the servo rails to shift wt. back. The engine in good shape can
fly any 40 size trainer on the market. The mailorder trainers start at $70 and go up.
V-Mar has several at less than $100. and they ALL fly well! You have a super engine treat it well, Fuel with 20 % oil. and a Tee in the exhaust line to feed oil to the cylinderhead are a Must. You can get all the info and an on-line manual to print out at
MECOA.com they also have parts and service. [email protected]