Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Cowling Repair?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Cowling Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 09:11 PM
Piddler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cowling Repair?

I am new to the RC hobby and I have recently built a Piper Cherokee 40. I had an old 0S Max .40 FSR that I had side mounted on it. I took it to the flying field and determined it was not enough engine for the plane, this may have been due to the age of the engine. The plane wouldn't even think about taking off. Since then I have purchased a Thunder Tiger Pro 61 with a Pitts muffler included. The Pitts muffler is for an inverted mount. I could just side mount it also, enlarging the hole in the cowling and running the exhaust straight out the side, but I don't think It would look very good. I'm looking for suggestions for repairing the plastic cowling from the side mount. What should I use for backing? I have the plastic putty for filling, which was used for the original filling of the 2 piece cowling. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10305.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	302476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41759.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	302477  
Old 07-27-2005, 10:07 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Cowling Repair?

go to your lhs one that sell's train parts supply's.they sell the plastic sheeting for about a buck or so for a few sheets use that for backing.or if you are adventurous you can use the mesh fiberglass and plastic filler.i use the plastic sheeting and glue it with what ever glue you like i used ca it stuck pretty good.i used it to make ducting for airflow in my cowls.you could use epoxy but i think i would roughen up the edges,then just some bondo to smooth it all out.if you were planning on recutting the hole i would use the fiberglass mesh and resin as a filler.this works on some plastics you could get by with using the plastic glues they have also,my rule....do what works
Old 07-28-2005, 06:13 AM
rlipsett

now for the totally stupid suggestion. Go to your lhs where you bought it and order a replacement cowl. probably only about 15 dollars. save to other cowl in case you change back to an engine that mounts that way
Old 07-28-2005, 10:01 AM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use HDPE material, scavenged from of fuel bottles. If you roughen the surface, it can be glued on very nicely with Probond and the hollows filled out with microballoons, hardened with thin CA, or with body putty or spot filler.

Better to buy a new cowling
Old 07-29-2005, 09:38 AM
Piddler

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Midwest Piper Cherokee has been discontinued and I don't think the cowling replacement exist. I have completed the repair with horace315's suggestion of the fiberglass mesh, resin and filler. It worked nice.

Thanks,

The Piddler

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82300.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	302976