Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

P 51 Mustang pts Hanger 9

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

P 51 Mustang pts Hanger 9

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 10:25 PM
rolandh21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P 51 Mustang pts Hanger 9

Does anyone know if this is a good plane to start with and also it says not yet available on horizon's site, when will it be available. Or suggest a good plane to start with that will also not be outdated when i learn to fly. thanks
Old 07-27-2005, 11:27 PM
rolandh21

Default RE: P 51 Mustang pts Hanger 9

Update just ordered one from red rocket, hopefully it is in stock and will ship tomorrow, still give me some feedback on this plane. Its mine now so i might as well listen to what yall think of it...
Old 07-28-2005, 10:07 AM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

There has been a discussion of the Hangar 9 P-51 PTS but apparently nobody here has flown it yet. Check out this thread:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3106700/anchors_3106700/mpage_1/key_hangar%252Cpts/anchor/tm.htm#3106700]Learn to Fly with a P-51 Mustang Thanks H9[/link]
Old 07-28-2005, 10:37 AM
rolandh21

I know sorry, i must have typed something wrong on my first search i did before posting. i got no results then after i posted i searched again and found a few threads. Sorry for a repost.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:39 AM
redfox435cat

there not available until mid august. been delayed again. Foot in mount
As far as a trainer beeing outdated. depends on how you look at. I have planes 15 years old that I don't concider them outdated since I put updated stuff inside. I keep mine for demonstration purposes to new pilots. Your trainer you'll get board with, it's just the nature of the beast but you need to start with one, you can try flying a warbird your first plane no one will stop you but don't come cryin when you crash it. I don't recommend this model as a trainer. I'm selling it as a trainer but at the same time I'm also to be their instructor so I'll see how it goes.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:47 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Trainers are only outdated if you let them get that way. I've been flying for 9 years and I still have my trainer. I take it to the field every now and then to fly it. Trust me, a trainer can be a blast to fly after you've moved on to bigger and better. It's fun to fly the aerobatic maneuvers you learned on other planes with your trainer. One thing that always gets me is this - when you're learning to fly you think that your trainer is moving so dang fast, and when you come back to your trainer after flying other planes you wonder how a plane can fly so slllllooooowwwww!

Plus, there have been a couple of times that my trainer was the only plane I had left flying. It was either go without flying or put the trainer in the air, I choose the trainer!!

Ken
Old 07-28-2005, 03:17 PM
mrbass111

actually the p 51 from horizon that is comming in august is a RTF kit complete with tx. and there billing it as the new alternative on how to learn to fly.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:56 PM
wyoflyboy_p51d

Is it a good plane to learn on for a rookie?
Old 07-29-2005, 08:47 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't recommend it, yet you're selling it?

THAT must be an interesting sales pitch...

Perhaps you missed the part where this model has been specifically designed for docile flight characteristics. Jeff Troy, a VERY experienced r/c pilot, has flown this thing and says it delivers on its claims. None of the rest of us (including you, right?) have even seen one, so I think its a bit early to be dismissing the idea out of hand.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:07 PM
redfox435cat

a guy who competes on a perfesional level and has been flying for years is of course going to say its a peice of cake to fly. I say that about all my planes. I know how to fly them and at times forget what it was to learn. If it is in close trim and can be trimmed to fly straight I know damn well I can fly it, so a pro coming out saying it flies great to a rookie is sorta scewed from my point of view, but that is my point of veiw and take for what its worth, probably not much.
To the dude that trying to discredit me for saling a plane that I don't recommend to learn on. Busness is business and I'm not gonna turn away money, I make a recommendation and they don't take my advice that their problem. I guess I'm a bad person for it. The fact of the matter is once someone make up there mind on something you can't steer em right with a bassball bat. So I'll let em crash it then they can come back and get a real trainer. I did mention before The trainers I sell including this one I will be the training them. If I can't I find someone who will. If they don't want a trainer then I don't sell it to them. It might just work, I don't expect it to. Hell I learned to fly on a morris the knife, will a rossi 45, no simulator time or anything, no crashing. I did get a trainer as a second plane
Old 07-29-2005, 09:18 PM
LSP972

Trying to discredit you? No; you can do that on your own.

I was just curious; and you answered my question...
Old 07-30-2005, 06:14 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No, redfox is right. You can only ADVISE people as to what's good and not good - IT's up to THEM what they eventually buy. If you refuse to sell it to them, they will just take their money elsewhere and never come back out of spite.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with selling them as an ADVANCED trainer. THERE'S where that plane belongs IMHO

Redfox is also correct in saying that anyone who is a competent pilot will think that any docile plane may work as a good trainer, but they tend to forget the fact that they already KNOW how to fly.

Now, I'm not saying that this plane would be BAD to train on, in fact, I often train my students on advanced trainers, but most advanced trainers have a long tail moment which adds stabillity. So even when recommending an advanced trainer, I would put this lower on the list. Maybe if I flew one my opinion would change, but this is so unconventional, it's not going to sit well with a lot of instructors.

Another thing I don't like is that it is RTF. MAybe this is just a personal thing, but I don't like the idea of a novice starting out with something he doesn't have a clue about. I mean, I've actually heard comments like "How do I take the servo out?". Sorry, but I feel that if you're going to be a part of this sport, you should at least have a hint of an idea of what you are doing.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:41 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Well...redfox 'discrediting himself' or not aside, one thing DOES strike me...

There seems to be quite a few people, here and out in the big blue room, that are already discounting this aircraft as either 'not a trainer', or 'well, maybe, but not one I'd reccomend', or 'perhaps an ADVANCED trainer' etc etc.

This seems to me to be a bit unfair at best, since, as far as I know so far, every single comment I've heard and/or read about this plane has come from people who haven't even SEEN one, much less flown it or trained a newbie with it.

*shrug*

"If you don't have a consensus that it's nonsense, you don't have a breakthrough. " - Burt Rutan
Old 07-30-2005, 08:10 PM
LSP972

Mike,

Jeff Troy reviewed the airplane for an industry magazine, with an eye as to how it flew (stability, etc.,) and its suitability as a basic trainer. Give the guy some credit; he's not an industry hack.

A link to the article can be found in the other thread on this airplane; cannot remember if that thread is here or in the ARF forum. There, I think.

<<...its not going to sit well with a lot of instructors.>>

And that is the airplane's fault? A lot of experienced modelers of a past era said the same thing about ailerons. I realize that we are, in general, a conservative lot. But this concept isn't THAT far "out of the box".

I say give it a chance before condemning it.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:25 PM
Lightfoot

I agree but I am skeptical. The only thing that concerns me is the apparently high wing loading. Actually, if it does work, it will be a boon to modeling because the concept can be incorporated into other models that serve as second planes and reduce the cost for beginning modelers.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:02 AM
aviation421
My Feedback: (68)

hello,
anybody shopped at www.wholesaletrains.com yet?
do you recommed?
they have the Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang PTS wiht free shipping
Old 08-29-2005, 08:00 AM
andzman

I'm getting one today...
Old 08-31-2005, 08:45 AM
andzman

Well I got one. I have not flown it yet but it is sure satisfying getting back to gas after flying all of those electrics....
Old 09-08-2005, 11:54 AM
tranker

I have purchased a lot of rc plane stuff from wholesaletrains. Their prices are very good and even better once you become a "member" which doesn't cost you anything. Your order make take 2 or 3 days sometimes before it is processed, but their overall response is great! I had purchased an ARF from them a couple months ago and the wings were smashed due to bad packaging by the manufacturer. I emailed the problem to their customer support and they shipped out a new set a wings to me right away. I have ordered from them 5 times now and I plan on ordering from them in the future.