Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Take off and Landings!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Take off and Landings!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 01:38 PM
brocja01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Take off and Landings!!!!

Hey all, thought I would share my 1st experiences taking off and landing my planes. Last night while out with my plane and trainer, he got me up in the air and started to let me run through the landing approaches without having me actually land, we did that for about 10 minutes I would say and he then landed the plane and had me get used to taxing it and higher speeds to get used to actually taking the plane off the ground. I did that a couple times without actually taking off. I brought the plane back in front of us and my trainer said, alright, once you are ready, give her full throttle and 3/4 elevator and take the plane off, what a feeling seeing the plane take off for the 1st time with me in control. Absolutely amazing, I got the plane in the air and did some loops around the field and then it was time to start working on the landings.

My 1st couple of approaches for the landing were a little shaky and so the trainer had me throttle out of the landing and make another pass, the 3 approach was coming along very well, actually surprised my trainer I think, as I was approaching the landing strip he told me to go and head and bring it in, I almost came in a little short, it nicked the top of the tall grass and I brought it in for a very smooth 1st landing. My hands were shaking, 10 minutes of flying and 30 seconds of shier terror. I did a couple more take offs and another not so smooth landing, (hit the nose wheel first this time, bounced the plane high in the air, didn't hurt anything though) and then called it a night.

It was amazing, I'm hoping on getting out there tonight again if the weather holds out and do some more practicing.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:53 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: First Take off and Landings!!!!

Very nicely done and congrats. Now I have a few questions.

Are ya hooked yet

Have you stopped shaking yet

Are ya feeling like a little 10 yr old with his/her new toy [&:]

If you answer yes to any or all of the above, congratulations, you are now offically an addict to which there is NO known cure. Plan on a larger credit card, then bigger planes, then big things to haul all of the planes in, and on and on and on.

Oh yea, welcome to RCU and the glad to have you among the other "addicts" in here [sm=thumbup.gif]

Old 07-29-2005, 01:56 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations, not bad at all for a first day out. Nosewheel landings are common. You just need to get the plane in landing attitude sooner and then control the speed/altitude without changing the attitude if possible. It should just float in for a main wheel landing if done right.

3/4 up elevator, I'm guessing a grass runway as that seems like a lot for pavement. Keep the shakes, they will keep you from getting cocky and making mistakes. Calm down later.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:04 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just remember to practice, practice, practice......and CONGRATS!!!!!

Jerry