Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Engine for 2nd Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Engine for 2nd Plane

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 07:15 AM
BlackRider
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine for 2nd Plane

I'm just moving into my 2nd plane from my Nexstar trainer and I need some advice. I've decided to purchase the Futaba 9C radio for it as it will give me plenty of room to grow. But, I'm unsure of which engine to purchase. From advice at the airfield I'm looking at the Great Planes U Can Do .60 ARF. The engines that I'm looking at are the OS .61 FX, .91FX or the FS-91 II Surpass. Obviously as I'm still relatively new to the sport I'm not going to be doing to many stunts to begin with. I'm more interested in the slow flying characteristics now but will probably be looking to do stunts in the future. Should I begin with the .61FX or .91FX to begin with and save money? I'm also afraid to have to much engine for my overall skill level. When I'm ready I'll upgrade the engine in a year or so. Or would it be better to purchase the Surpass now? That way I know the engine won't be underpowered for the plane and I will have an engine that will last as long as the plane.

Any Advice you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks!
BR
Old 08-02-2005, 09:37 AM
plane_freek

Default RE: Engine for 2nd Plane

are you sure u wanta UCD 60 for your second plane? if you go backafew pages, there is a post on the UCD 6- as a second plane. Most people did not recommend it as a 2nd. If u want a nice second plane, the Goldberg Tiger 2 or Tiger 60 are good choices. I have the tiger 2 and i love it. It does rolls and loops nicely.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:44 AM
plane_freek

check on page 4 i believe, for the UCD post
Old 08-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blackrider,

You can definitely set up the UCD for easy flying, but Plane_Freak does have a point.

Since you were just flying a NextStar, I'll have to assume you are a typical relatively new flier.

-The controls on the UCD are large so if you over do the movements, even a little, you can get yourself into trouble without the skill to recover in time.
-The UCD is designed for performance and is lightly built. It will land very slowly, probably slower than your trainer, if you have the skill to hold the plane off that long, but it will not take hard landings. The manufacturer assumes a skillful, fairly expert pilot. One hard landing can easily knock the gear out.
-It has an inverted engine. If you had any trouble starting and running your trainer engine, this will be multiplied by several factors as you try to run, and get the idle correct, on an inverted engine.
-Due to its large controls, it can not fly fast without a great chance of flutter which will destroy the plane. Every time you put the nose down, you need to throttle back. An expert pilot can get a feel for what speed a plane will take, but a newer pilot won't be able to do this. This plane was meant for 3D, hovering, etc. It was not designed for chasing your buddies around or for touch and goes.
-It is also a large plane and prone to hangar rash.

I would recommend you try a plane that has a wider speed range, low passes are fun and so are touch and goes. The Tiger 2, already mentioned, or the Tiger 60 is a good one. There is also and of the Sticks. An Ultra Stick 60 with any of the engines you mentioned would be excellent and it will do nearly everything. Others are the 4-Stars, 40 & 60, Big Sticks, Sportsters and several others.

If you insist on a plane that will do 3D, the Hangar 9 Twist for a .46 or .72 4-stroke, has a much wider speed range, at least compared to the UCDs.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

If you do get the UCD, get the 91FX instead of the 61fx, it has more power and is lighter, just have to prop it correctly so it doesn't go to fast.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:02 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pilot Chad

If you do get the UCD, get the 91FX instead of the 61fx, it has more power and is lighter, just have to prop it correctly so it doesn't go to fast.
You may want to check you facts and possibly rephrase your advice. The 91 FX IS NOT lighter than the 61 FX. In fact, they are the same exact weight. Go to OS engines website [link=http://www.osengines.com/engines/power-chart.html]OS engines power chart[/link] both weigh 19.42 oz. The 91 FX does have more power, but it weighs the same as the 61 FX.

Ken
Old 08-02-2005, 12:13 PM
bruce88123

You should definately choose a different second plane. This is going to be a handful for you.

Even more important, you need to ignore posters, like in post #5, who speak with NO experience and just post to boost their post counts.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:25 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have several questions for you. I'm not picking on you but trying to be realistic so please do not read anything into it.

Can you grease pretty much every landing?

Can you fly your trainer inverted for at least 3 patterns around your field and be completely comfortable doing it? (RCKens's favorite thing and it works)

Can you put your trainer EXACTLY where you want it?

If you answer yes to all of the above then go with the UCD. If you answer no to any of the above stay away from the UCD. Yes they fly nice a slow, and as I have said time and again, easy to fly is a relative term. Since you mention that the people at your field say to get one, that's a pretty good indication that someone has one. If so ask to buddy box with them.

UCD's cannot be manhandled both in the air and on the ground. One good hard bounce and you will be walking out to pick up the landing gear and plane. They are a true 3D plane and as such are built very light and cannot take allot of new pilot punishment.

I am not trying to discourage you, I am simply stating the fact as the plane stands out of the box. You can reinforce the plane to make it stronger but weight is the enemy for 3D.

Now as far as the 61FX versus the 91FX, the 91 will fly the snot out of that plane. Pin the firewall if you go with the 91 2 stroke. A 91 4-stroke will fly it well but it will not be a 3D monster although it will fly 3D decently.

Chad, since you appear to have great knowledge of both the 61fx and 91fx what prop would you recommend for 3D flight that will give great vertical on the 91?

Old 08-02-2005, 12:29 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

choice of planes aside, have you considered anything BESIDES an OS engine? Check out the Magnum XLS line (Hobby People) They're reliable, easy to start, very powerful and cost considerably less than the comprable OS. In fact, the Magnum .91XLS costs less than the OS.61FX. Just a suggestion.

papermache
Old 08-02-2005, 02:27 PM
BlackRider
My Feedback: (2)

Wow....thanks for all the responses. I should have clarified one point about the purchase. There is probably a really good chance that I won't be flying it this year. I was just looking to make the purchase in the next couple of months so I could have plenty of time to get it put together for next year. I bought my Nexstar used and already 100% built so this would be my first experience with putting a plane together. Right now I don't have my trainer "mastered" but I should be fairly close by the end of the year. The trainer has promised to help me out so next year I will be able to use a buddy box and get a little extra training. Hopefully that will be enough to get me over the hump. If not....I'll post next year how I crashed my plane and everybody can tell me "I told you so". (I think I will take a look at the Twist too to see how that compares.) Anyway, from the messages it looks like the .91 will be best for me. Now I just have to decide between the FX and the Surpass.

Papermache - The instructor with the UCD actually has the Magnum in his plane and loves it. He said he hasn't had to touch it for 3 years. But most everybody else I talked to in my group isn't a big fan of it. I've also read mixed reviews on here. So I've been hesitant to consider it. But at the price I would definitely consider it.

Thanks again everybody!
BR