Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

getting back into the hobby

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

getting back into the hobby

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 04:40 AM
flynlr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting back into the hobby

little bit of history for you .

back in 94 i flew my first RC aircraft which was a trainer with an old futaba FM 4 channel radio had a grand old time at the flying field at the sepulvida basin in LA>

within a couple years I had moved up to a global American Flyer ARF that I custom covered with a TT pro 46. then moved on to a Global Avanger using the same engine but this model had retracts by this time I had bought a Futaba T6XA computer radio. I flew the American Flyer and avenger of and on till 2000 then ran into family problems and had to quit abruptly. now FF to today i only have the American Flyer plane with the T6XA radio. a worn out flight box as all these items had been in storage since 2000. I today took the TT pro .46 complety apart as the old prop on it wouldn't hardly turn gave it a soak in MEk, put it back together using liberal amounts of afterrun oil and wow its like new now as far as being able to spin freely etc. now here comes the questions. apart from doing the cleaning of the engine the old radio has its original battery which seems to work fine. I do not have a battery for the aircraft but will get one soon. looking at my old Topflight flight box I need a new power panel as the old one had problems when i last used it in 2000. ,my starter works great hooked up to the car so its still good. I need a new glow plug battery. i obviously need a gallon of fuel. (I'm getting to the question ) I did a check of the plane and even though it has a bit of wear and tear i hit it with the IRon and smoothed out the loose bits on the covering. checked all the bolts etc. so no prob. ok the question. assuming I get all the needed items to get this plane into the air. though I have years of flying exp should I do a first flight with a trainer or just go for it. on a related note do I need to re enlist in the AMA or take my chances on a first flight then get back into it. . family problems are all gone now and I really want to get back into the hobby. thanks.
Nathan.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:28 AM
The Ghost

Default RE: getting back into the hobby

Nathan,
First of all welcome back. If there is a club around, check them out as they may have a club trainer that you may be able to get checked out on with a buddy box, then you will be able to judge weather you will need to buy a new trainer. With the TX battery I would swap it out for a new one as it's been sitting for a few years now.

Cheers.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Liberator

Nathan,

My story has been like yours to a degree, but the bottom line is that a little stick time is a good thing. I live in Sandy not far from you and you should take a trip down to SOme Dude's Hobby Shop in Midvale. He is on State and roughly 80th south.

Pat is the owner and they are great about helping guys out. I have a slow V that I am selling if you want a small electric to practice on. I will let it go pretty cheap ($80) includes the radio, plane, charger. It's slow, but it gets things going again for ya. Pat has them for $139.00 new I think if you would rather have a new one. Send me a PM if I can help ya at all.

Tom
Old 08-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Fastsky

I would use a bit of caution here. It probably wouldn't take long for you to get your "thumbs" back but it would be a shame if you wrecked a plane because your thumbs are too rusty. I would find out where the nearest club is and see if someone the club has a trainer that you can try on the buddy box. It would only take a few flights to see just how "good" or how "bad" you need buddy box time. It might only take few flights to get you back up to speed but best to do it safely. Its also much less risky on the plane. [8D]
Old 08-08-2005, 02:01 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That Trans. battery should be replaced for sure and getting a couple buddy box flights just adds a little frosting to the cake. Welcome back and remember: EGO"S break planes and spirits. ENJOY !!!! RED
Old 08-08-2005, 05:49 PM
flynlr

probably a good idea to get a flight or two with the buddy box thanks for the tips everyone and I do have to check out that hobby shop on state street in town. I have an older version of realflight that i played with this weekend and had no problems flying that way. I will replace all the batteries better safe then sorry.