Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

MDS 68 idle shut down

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

MDS 68 idle shut down

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 02:04 PM
papadave
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MDS 68 idle shut down

Help! I have an MDS 68 in a Hog Bipe. Seems to be a good engine, good idle, quick to full throttle, but when I hit the throttle stop it goes into a slower idle and will not shut down. Watching the carb barrel I can see that the opening is closed down letting no more air in, but from the top of the barrel I can see another opening develope as the main opening is closed down. Just a sliver of opening, but enuff that I can't get the engine to quit. Any ideas? Any help would help. Thanks
Old 08-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Mr. Canadian

Default RE: MDS 68 idle shut down

just used the trim on your throttle to stop it from going so far or readjust the servo arm
Old 08-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Fastsky

First off, get the linkage adjusted properly! Then if you still have strouble getting it to stop you can hit the throttle and then back to idle with a fast stick movement. The extra fuel going in and then the carb closing so that it can't get enough air to match the fuel causes the engine to flood and quit. [8D]
Old 08-09-2005, 09:56 PM
papadave

Hey...All the linkage for the carb has been checked and rechecked. Barrel is for sure closing all the way, still runs. I just took the carb out, closed the barrel by hand, and blew into the carb and could feel air coming out the bottom! To me that just ain't right! A new carb purchase with my luck would just have the same result. so any ideas?

I will try the throttle burst tomorrow and see if it will shut down that way. Better than nothing, and alot better then sticking my finger over the carb while the prop is going. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:46 AM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's an MDS --- don't expect any more from it than it can give you. I have an MDS 78 that just won't quit -- literally -- I have to stop it by putting my finger over the muffler outlet.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:42 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HEY brit, That must burn. Don't ENJOY !!! RED
Old 08-11-2005, 10:47 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

read the instructions for the mds, don't they have a small air jet hole internally like the older carbs used to have but they were on the outside?i think a small amount of air is normal when the barrel is closed
Old 08-11-2005, 11:04 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

i have the mds 78 i herd that the 68 was better.the only problem i have with mine is the carburetor loads up some when I'm coming in for a landing and have it at idle,then do a touch and go it stutters then picks up.i have noticed on my 78 that the remote fuel mixture housing is wet all the time i cant get it to wet after i clean it on the ground and run the engine,i have replaced the copper washers and fuel lines even put ties on the lines going to it.other than that it runs pretty good not a powerhouse for it's size,i have it in a super stick it pulls that airplane pretty good but nothing to write home about.when i first got it i did have a problem with the carburetor oring,thats what it sounds like with the fast idling hope this helps some....happy flying
Old 08-11-2005, 11:21 PM
papadave

I have heard of other people having the shut down problem, and I have found out that mds now has an after original purchace C2 carb, the current carb sold on newer engines. I bought this thing 4 or 5 years ago, bench ran it till out of gas and stored it till recently when I put in on the Hog Bipe. Considering getting the newer carb, anyone know anything about the C2? Also, what do you 'spose the chances of Horizon springing for a new carb, since the first was messed up? Thanks for the replys.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:39 AM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My MDS 78 is new -- it has the updated carb -- it sucks hugely compared to my GMS 76's (which aren't exactly wonder motors themselves). I bought it new from it from a buddy (he is obviously a lot brighter than me) -- I couldn't resist the "bargain".