Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Watch the prop

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Watch the prop

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 05:30 PM
Liberator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watch the prop

Folks, I know that there have more than likely been numerous threads about prop safety. The reason I bring this up is because I just ran into a guy that has experienced about as devastating an injury due to a prop strike that I have ever seen. I hope it's not out of line to post it here, but I figured that perhaps someone new into the sport can avoid this mistake and stay safe.

I was at a trade show today and had an R.C. magazine for company. The first day of the shows are always a little slow. A gentleman walked up and we talked about my products and then he noticed the magazine. He asked if I was just getting started or if I had been flying for awhile.

We chatted for a bit and then he lifts his shirt sleeve up and shows me his forearm. He has a scar that runs from just below his wrist to almost his elbow on his left arm and says, watch the props they can get ya. He also had a scar that ran completely around his arm about half way between his wrist and elbow. He goes on to explain that he was getting his plane running and ready to go. He had his radio under the wing with the antenna pointed to the tail of the plane. He lifted the radio after a run up and turned to ask the guys behind him if they would hold the plane. When he did this the throttle stick touched the bottom of the wing and pushed the throttle full open. The prop strike was so bad that it essentially severed this man's arm. I asked him if he was able to use it and he told me no and then left soon after.

He told me it was a .91 size motor, (no need to mention the brand), but I was amazed because I thought it would need to be a big gasser to do this much damage.

A moments mistake has cost him very dearly indeed.

Anyway, think first, have fun, be careful.

Tom
Old 08-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: Watch the prop

He should have asked the guys to hold the plane BEFORE he started the engine.

Dr.1
Old 08-12-2005, 10:53 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My pal a LHS owner was tuning up a ST51, we don't know why but he just put his hand through the prop to tune the engine. Must have been some lag in his brain. One finger for cut bad and cost him $1,250 to sort out. Its very dangerous ... for me I have been cut quite a few times by props but (PLEASE don't laugh) it has always been a stationary prop! I have bled too!!!
Old 08-13-2005, 01:17 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

ORIGINAL: tIANci

My pal a LHS owner was tuning up a ST51, we don't know why but he just put his hand through the prop to tune the engine. Must have been some lag in his brain. One finger for cut bad and cost him $1,250 to sort out. Its very dangerous ... for me I have been cut quite a few times by props but (PLEASE don't laugh) it has always been a stationary prop! I have bled too!!!
I will laugh WITH you though. Watch where and how you store APC props. I knocked a large one off a shelf and it fell on my bare foot. As Murphy dictated, the prop came down pointy end first. [>:] Lotsa red hydraulics.

I still amazes me that so many people don't treat props with respect. I always make sure that I will have a flying buddy available to restrain aircraft when starting etc. We also safety pilot for each other. Can't be too careful.

Safe Flying!
Old 08-13-2005, 01:43 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blik - yours is FUNNIER than mine, like something out of Road Runner or Home Alone! Hehehehe ...
Old 08-13-2005, 04:50 AM
Blue_Moon_

I know the graveness in this with prop saftey. Im always showing a running engine big respect, but early this year i was VERY close to lose my face and eyes. Perhaps i havent been here today as well.

I was breaking in my brand new saito 100 with a 13x6 prop. The engine was mounted with saito original engine mount. The mount was screwed into a large log. I started the engine and after a couple of tanks i started to admire the wonderful engine while it was running @ full throttle. I watched it from behind, from the side, and from the front. I sat down on my heels infront of the engine, a couple of feets away. "Mmm.. this really is a nice engine"- i said to myself..
After been infront of the engine for around one minute or so, i stod up and (at random) walked about two steps to the side. This saved my life. The engine mounting block came loose, evrything went very fast. The engine flew stright away and landed in the mud around 30fts away from the log.

I dont even want to think about what would had happend to me if i had sat right infront of it when it came lose. Anyone whose been running a large four stroker know that its not that healty to put your face into.

The reason why the engine came loose was that the metal in the screwheads became "exhausted" of all the vibrations from the engine. It was a very unrealistic senario because all of the srewheads came lose all at the same time.

I will never stand infront of a running engine again, i can promise you that. I hope someone learnt something from my story.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:40 AM
Dr1Driver

Good story, and a VERY good lesson in NOT staying in front of the engine for ANY reason, and for using a proper engine test stand with the engine properly mounted.

Dr.1
Old 08-13-2005, 08:56 AM
smokingcrater

The reason why the engine came loose was that the metal in the screwheads became "exhausted" of all the vibrations from the engine. It was a very unrealistic senario because all of the srewheads came lose all at the same time.

not unrealistic at all, that happens surprisingly often in ready to fly planes. not always the screws, sometimes the firwall itself... I ALMOST had it happen to my 25cc gasser. I brought it back to refuel and put another flight on, when I noticed the engine wasn't quite as tight as it should have been. turns out most of the firewall had ripped free, and the rest was barely hanging on.

moral of the story is do NOTHING in front of the engine beside start the thing. don't ever reach over to remove the glow plug, that is probably the worst thing to do ever. You have to end up behind it anyway, just wait a couple more seconds to walk around and then remove it.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:59 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

But how did the log fly?

All good points here. I've caught myself getting a little too comfortable around these little whirling razor blades from time to time... And have several bad scars as a reminder.
APCs are dangerous if you just look at them wrong - I dull the edges somewhat with fine sandpaper as soon as I get them. Funny about the prop tip, foot, and hydraulics! Been there myself. ouch!
Old 08-13-2005, 02:36 PM
Blue_Moon_

ORIGINAL: cwrr5

But how did the log fly?
I think my eyes had flied better