Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Sig LT-40 Build (maiden a success!!)

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Sig LT-40 Build (maiden a success!!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 01:12 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig LT-40 Build

Thanks again guys!

Tomorrow evening is the second evening of lessons with this plane - amped to get it off the ground again!

somegeek
Old 09-14-2005, 10:34 PM
somegeek

Got to fly my plane again last night! Flew again with Nick on the buddy box. Made me grin ear to ear to see that thing go up in the air again. Practiced doing some circles and figure eights. Nick showed me how the rudder influences turns and also how to do a loop. That was pretty cool to do my first loop!. Next we practiced some ~30ft passes over the runway and learned about speed, turning and avoiding stalls. Practiced low speed downwind/base/final legs. Downwind leg was higher than normal and only had two clicks of throttle. Was sweet to start to develop a pattern for lining up a final approach and also learning to throttle up to gain altitude and speed before turning for another attempt.

One habit I have from console games is to tap the stick and let go of it to center vs keeping my thumbs on at all times... breaking that habit though.

Nick said I was about 1/2 way to my solo flight. Pretty amped! Next Tuesday is the last training night for the year but he said he'd work with me on a buddy box if we set up some time. Pretty generous of him and his time I thought. [sm=thumbup.gif]

I needed a box for my stuff so I had a tackle box that fit the bill just fine! Had an old Calvin & Hobbes sticker in my drawer that fit this pretty well. The Tx and starter fit perfect up top and the tackle trays are perfect for all the small parts, tools, etc.

Also picked up a smaller tool box for my power stuff.

I cut the alligator clips off the charger unit and added some plugs so if needed, I could use the alligator clips to hook up to my car battery in a pinch.

Added some banana jacks to the side so I can easily hook up the charger or starter. Gonna make up a cigarette lighter to banana plug adapter so I can charge this 7Ah 12V battery on the way to the strip. 25 minutes should top it off nicely.

somegeek
Old 09-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Hog Head

somegeek,

Sounds like you are doing great. Nick always was pretty generous about making time to help out. The Calvin and Hobbes sticker is great. I built SIG's Mini Field Boss but I am quickly outgrowing it. I think I am going to end up building the Field Boss. It holds a gallon of fuel instead of a 1/2. Good idea keeping both thumbs on the sticks.

Gene

Old 09-15-2005, 05:23 AM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somegeek, First it's the just the plane. But then you have to have the field gear. Then it's "I just have to have that engine." But I need a plane for the engine too! And so it goes with no end in sight. Congrats on the finished plane, nice job[sm=lol.gif]
Old 09-15-2005, 07:20 AM
bruce88123

Just keep the credit card handy. You're making great progress, keep it up.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:44 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Love the sticker! Perfect!!!!
Old 09-16-2005, 12:26 AM
onlyb
Banned

Somegeek,
Glad to hear your training is going well. Have you thought about a second plane? Also do you have any pics of your plane in flight? Would love to see them if you do.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:52 AM
somegeek

onlyb,

For my second plane... on my xmas wish list - a Sig Hog-Bipe w/ an O.S. engine(not sure yet what size) and an Rx w/ servos. The LT-40 was my first kit build, but I was very happy with the overall quality of the kit. The Sig Hog-bipe is a really cool lookin plane and a Sig kit to boot.

Will try to get a pic while it's in the air when I fly again on Tuesday. [8D]

somegeek
Old 09-16-2005, 02:37 AM
ROBT4

Somegeek
When you start building your second plane I be looking for you in the kit building forum considering your success on the LT-40 build.
Good luck on your upcoming solo flight.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:06 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Somegeek,
The Hog Bipe is a great plane, I should know because I've had 3 of them. But not sure if it's going to be a good second plane for you. Maybe a third. But when you do build one, the perfect motor is the OS 91 Surpass 4-stroke. I think that this motor was made for the Hog Bipe. But the best thing about it is the sound!! A bipe just begs to have the sound of a 4-stroke on it!!!

Ken
Old 09-16-2005, 08:11 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Somegeek,
The Hog Bipe is a great plane, I should know because I've had 3 of them.

Ken
"Had 3" Why Ken, that is past tense. [:@] Did you sell them?
Old 09-16-2005, 08:30 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Bruce,
Crashed one, sold one, and still flying the 3rd!! [8D]

Ken
Old 09-16-2005, 09:32 AM
Connery

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Ken, although you seem to be doing well, I wouldn't go with ANY bipe for your second plane. The Sig 4 Star series is a good second plane. The low wing with some dihedral flys almost like your trainer but is very aerobatic. Another choice is the Sig Something Extra. It is a mid wing design with a straight, symetrical airfoil which isn't as forgiving as the 4*, but still an easy flier. Both come as ARF's or kits, and the kits are very easy and straight forward builds.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72224.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	324754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38485.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	324755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79452.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	324756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11168.jpg
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	324757  
Old 09-16-2005, 06:58 PM
somegeek

Thanks for the advice guys. Guess I'll put the Hog-bipe on the back burner and maybe put an SSE on the wish list. Thinkin an OS .46 AX would pull this plane nicely?

somegeek
Old 09-16-2005, 07:46 PM
onlyb
Banned

Somegeek,
I think you are right putting the bipe on the back burner. I built a Great Planes Cub as a second plane, An instructor at my club has flown it, and I have on a buddy box. My attempt at takeoff ended up crashing in the weeds (minor dammage). I'm building a 4* 60 now. Having a blast. What I can gather from just about everyone this is an excelent second plane. Have fun.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:13 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

somegeek,
I agree with the others... wait on (flying)the bipe - but nothing says you can't go ahead and get it....
The .46AX is a great engine, and would work nicely on a SSE I think. 4*'s are nice, along with the goldberg tiggers.

Going to be out of touch for a while.... found out that I get to go home a little earlier than expected.
I'll check back in about a week or so. Good luck, and keep up the good job with the LT! (pictures!)
Old 09-17-2005, 12:31 PM
somegeek

Thanks, cwrr5. I'll check out the Goldberg Tiger.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:00 AM
somegeek

I replaced the servo mounting screws with Dubro hex head servo mounting screws. Easier to work with than the stock futaba phillips screws.

After removing the servos, I used one of the hex head screws to tap each hole since the hex head screws are slightly larger than the stock servo screws. I then applied a drop of CA to each hole to strengthen them. Had to poke a few of them with a toothpick to break the CA in the middle of the hole so it was open. After they dried, I reinstalled the servos with the hex head screws. Sure like working with them vs the shallow headed phillips servo screws that came with the servos. No worries about stripping the hex heads.

Also read a tip a while back about putting a clip on the Rx switch to keep it from accidentally switching on while in transit and such. Mine is setup so out is off and in is on so this worked great - plastic clothes pin fit perfect...

somegeek
Old 09-18-2005, 07:30 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Somegeek,
I don't want to come off as being overcritical because you have done such a great job on this plane, but by looking at your pictures I can see that you may have overtightened the screws mounting the servos in. I can see the rubber grommets "puckered" in. You want to screw them in to just the top of the rubber, when you over tighten them the screw pushes down to the metal insert. When that happens it bypasses the rubber material and vibrations will pass directly to the servos which can destroy a servo. You want the rubber material to absorb vibrations. Take a look at the attached diagram.

Hope this helps

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99891.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	325550  
Old 09-18-2005, 01:05 PM
somegeek

Thanks, Ken. Adjusted those screws.

somegeek
Old 09-19-2005, 07:22 AM
bruce88123

Those little hex screws are great. I buy them is bulk from Microfasteners. They have a great product line in stainless steel and some nice storage boxes/tools too.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:02 PM
ROBT4

Somegeek
You should take a look at the great planes "easy sport" kit as your second plane.I just finished building it last winter and found it as a great plane to build and fly.I also built the sig 4* and personally like the easy sport.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:20 PM
somegeek

Flew tonight for the third session of flights. It was pretty windy - about 10mph on the ground so who knows what 50ft - 100ft up.

Practiced again with Nick on the buddy box. Practiced some circles, figure eights, landing approaches, idle engine glide in approaches and fly/glide bys. I felt more comfortable with some of my idle speed glide bys than some of my 1/10th throttle fly bys over the strip. Since it was as windy as it was I didn't get to land or take off today but did get to learn how to do a barrel roll and some cuban loops/rolls for fun. Getting a little more comfortable flying and knowing how to react to normal/level my plane, but still shy with cutting the throttle back and such on approach. 2-3 clicks up works for landings but I forget to bring the stick all the way down and count up. Guess that will come with time. Enjoying doing approaches. To mix it up I tried a landing approach from the other end of the strip - did okay but talk about feeling odd.

8 flights and the plane is doin well! [8D]

Got some nice compliments on my kit build tonight. Made me feel good about the build.

somegeek
Old 09-21-2005, 07:39 AM
bruce88123

Sorry but 10 mph isn't all that windy. Yeah I know, you're just learning but it will get easier.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:47 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

Sorry but 10 mph isn't all that windy. Yeah I know, you're just learning but it will get easier.
I was going to say the same thing. Here in Oklahoma (yes, the wind does actually come sweeping down the plains) 10 mph is a normal flying day. 25+ is where we start thinking about not flying anymore. [8D]

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.