Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need quick Help on what engine to get For my trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need quick Help on what engine to get For my trainer

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 04:35 PM
mikeboyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need quick Help on what engine to get For my trainer

Once you learn the many great attributes of Super Tigres carbs, you won't slam them so hard. They can be adjusted three ways, not just two, so can be really tuned. The ST .51 is a punched out .45 and makes good power, for next to no money. You need to make sure the throttle retainer screw is tight. I usually put on blue locktite on mine from new and never have a problem. The fuel inlet nipple can be rotated slightly to sweeten the midrange. Almost all of mine work great when the nipple points to the rear engine mounting screw hole. This is a ringed engine, so lasts much longer than ABL or nickel plated non-ringed engines whene the thin plating wears off or fails.

I really love my OS's, but they are NOT the only good engine out there. Other good options not mentioned for this airplane are the .52 Magnum and the .46 Magnum. They both equal the power of their OS counterparts. All three of these engines require break-in. Follow the engine manual and you can't go wrong.

What one gent mentioned is very true of the lighter, trainer engines. You usually end up putting the battery pack under the tank and have to put a Higeby Heavy Hub on the front end to balance the plane with the light LA motor. The LA has an air bleed carb, instead of a twin needle and can get finicky in hot weather like our expert from Japan has never experienced (over 100 here in Texas). The .50 sized engines can be run richer and still put out enough power under hot conditions to enjoy flying your trainer. Also, you can transfer the hot .46 or .50 something to a nice second airplane and have the power you need for the next level, without buying another engine.

Have a safe and enjoyable Labor Day Weekend!!
Old 09-02-2005, 04:56 PM
yel914

My 2 cents. Same plane with an OS46AX on it. A great combination. I also like Super Tigres, a lot of bang for the buck. Britbrat-does that just roll off the tongue or do you have to think about it? Most excellent!
Old 09-02-2005, 05:14 PM
PlaneBoy576

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SO Mikeboyd do you think a G-51 Super Tigre would not be too powerful for my sig kadet LT-40 it is rated for a 40-46 size engine.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:58 PM
figment

I have an OS 46FX on mine and it is plenty of power, but I would say that a tad more would be nice for those huge loops and vertical lines. My vote would be to go for it, assuming the weight is in the right range.

Patrick
Old 09-02-2005, 06:20 PM
JC

The Lt 40 is a big plane for a 40 size model, so if you can squeeze out the extra few dollars for an OS 46AX, you won't be sorry. The 46AX will be able to pull you out of trouble if you need to.

JC
Old 09-03-2005, 12:42 PM
Sarges_heroes2003
My Feedback: (6)

tt pros are ok the gp line sucked, I had a gp-42 on a lt-40 and the plane just sailed throu the air. allmost no accrobatics possible just sail around the field and try to not pump into any one else in the air. it needs allmost a 50 to do any thing like a tower hobbies trainer w/ a .46 bb engine will do, and then you got to remember you got more than twice the weight up there being flung around so that cramps a lot of style too.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:51 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi i have a os46la engine in my 62"wingspan trainer and it flys beutifully they are great engines for a trainer!!BUT iwould say not powerfull enough for youre plane they arent powerhouses they are very reliable engines though!.id say try the thunder tiger as they are more powerfull and a little cheaper than the os la engines.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:14 AM
kevhunt
My Feedback: (4)

I have a Super Tigre .51 on my Kadet SR. I couldn't be happier. It will probably have that same engine when it goes to it's grave. Plenty of power to get you out of a jam, and very fuel efficient. Mine is not finicky as I've heard some say the Super Tigres are And I'm new to this hobby...Kevin
Old 09-04-2005, 03:51 PM
PlaneBoy576

Cool thanks alot for the help I figured since it's a a 70'' wingspan It could be able to handle a size .51 engine.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:34 PM
britbrat

ORIGINAL: Sarges_heroes2003

tt pros are ok the gp line sucked, I had a gp-42 on a lt-40 and the plane just sailed throu the air.
As I recall, you had a 10-9 prop (or something like that) on it. I'm surprised that it could actually fly with that set-up. I would take that as an endorsement of the GP 42.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:40 PM
thejetgod
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Planeboy,

I didn't see anyone ask you if you were flying off grass or not. If you are,it might be better to go for some extra power. You will find that the airplane likes a little bit larger engine. Not only is the LT-40 on the large side, but it is quite blunt too.

I speak from experience. I built an LT-40 this summer and we put an Irvine .53 on it. No problems with the CG. The .53 is essentially a .40 series engine with a longer stroke for greater displacement. I really enjoy the Irvine. It starts right up every flight with no trouble at all. I am running a 12x6 prop and it pulls the LT-40 quite well. It has plenty of power to do most anything you might want to try. Although not very good at it, I can get the airplane to hang on the prop for about 5 - 10 seconds before it falls out.

The Irvines are nice engines, but are relatively expensive due to the falling dollar. The guys talking about the .53 usually have nothing but good things to say about them. If you want to look at them do a search for Just Engines in the UK.

If you can afford it, go for a larger engine than the .46, and don't let the guys confuse you over what brand to buy. I'm sure you will be able to surf RCUniverse for threads on each of the engines that have been mentioned here. Find an engine with which the majority of the pilots really seem to be happy.

Happy hunting!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:08 PM
britbrat

planeboy's comments about extra power needed for flying off grass are right on the money. However, any good BB 40 or 46 will be enough from a grass field (OS 40 FX, OS 46 AX/FX/SF, TT 40/46 Pro, Magnum XL 40/46 etc).

The entry level engines (OS 40 LA , OS 46 LA, TT 42 GP) are just fine for standard traines operating from paved runways, or good short grass, but are marginal off longish grass &/or rough fields.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:00 PM
PlaneBoy576

I will be taking off of a grass field that is cut pretty low.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:17 PM
britbrat

A TT 42 GP would do it, as would an OS 46 LA, but a better choice would be one of the BB sport engines in the 40/46 class. -- LEO 46 Pro, TT 46 Pro, Mecoa 46 Tomcat, OS 46 AX etc. The 40 sizes are also good in the BB sport engines, particularly the TT 40 Pro, the Magnum XL 40, Super Tigre GS 40 & Enya 40 SS BB.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:34 PM
PlaneBoy576

Thanks I am considering a TT pro .46 I think it would pretty reliable