Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

FLYING IN THE WIND

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

FLYING IN THE WIND

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 02:03 PM
mrbass111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLYING IN THE WIND

in the wake of tropical depression 16 i went to our field yesterday to see if i could squeeze in a flight. it was very windy over 20. and i decided not to fly. a freind of mine show up for the first time wanting to see me fly. against my better judgement i went for it. and wow was that a new experiance for me. i was flying my uproar. and when you would bank away from the wind it would almost just flip over. i flew the whole tank and actually had fun with it seeing how slow i could go etc...and the real funny thing was i greased the landing. my freind was impressed. but i know it was a stupid thing to try and dont reccomend it to anyone. but, it was a hell of a rush.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: FLYING IN THE WIND

I always land better with a good headwind. Think about it. Say the plane's landing speed at idle is 15 mph. With a 10 mph headwind that means it's happening in front of you at a relative 5 mph over ground. With a 15 mph headwind most models can drop in at a near enough hover.

Takeoffs into a good wind are easier, too. The plane has lift out the giggie.

Now, a 15 mph crosswind can make for a fun time when the rubber meets the runway.

The thing to watch out for are low level and/or low speed turns to downwind. Gusts are also a bummer at times, especially with flat-bottomed wings.

One of my planes is a taildragger with a huge vert strab & rudder and that forces me to either taxi fast or "blip" lots of throttle to swing the tail around. I've have had winter days on skis when I'd set it up, only to have it skid sideways and weathervane all on it's own.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Spitfire222

As the Confucious of R/C flying says:

"To learn to fly in wind, one must fly in wind!"

On a more serious note, congrats on successfully completing a flight in wind. I myself am finally getting comfortable flying in it also. I think the most important things are to have the right plane to learn, and use your rudder! Keep practicing, obviously going from slow wind and working your way up, and soon you'll be able to safely fly in any kind of wind.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:38 PM
rjm1982

Thats why i dont like how most trainers are made...big wings + low rudder authority means your grounded in the wind, and never get to really learn how to handle the wind untill you get in a quciker more responsive plane...
Old 09-06-2005, 02:48 PM
bigox 25

i love to fly in the wind, and also like my instructor always says "If you're gonna fly in Texas you're gonna have to fly in the wind"
Old 09-06-2005, 03:03 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love to fly in the wind also and I fly a lot of trainers, no big deal. I also teach my students to fly in the wind and like it. Kiting a plane can be a ball. Enjoy the wind, it's always going to be around. ENJOY !!! RED

JUST REMEMBER to not get very far down wind, I hate those long walks because I didn't make it back to the field. ( STUPID )
Old 09-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Ever since flying at a contest in Americus Georgia with 25 mph winds gusting to 45 mph, I have starting going out when it is windy. It is fun but you learn a lot about wind correction when flying and landing. After flairing my plane for 300 feet yesterday, I was asked to teach wind correction and rudder use to some of the members. I think this would be fun. Try to do a cuban 8 over the runway with a 15mph crosswind. It takes a lot of work to change rudder when rightsde up or upside down. Even the 180 degree roll has to be done with elevator to correct for wind.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:54 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Wind, what wind? 20 mph is a calm day in Wyoming. Like bigbox 25's instructor, I tell my students the same thing. If you don't learn to fly in the wind, you won't get to fly much. A Kadet LT-40 with a good OS .46 AX is a great choice. You know it's too windy when it starts backing up. Now a gas powered Road Runner is good to about 45 mph.

Rich

---------------------------------------

Wyoming Wind Festival Jan 1 to Dec 31

Old 09-06-2005, 08:38 PM
onlyb
Banned

I first learned to fly in Washington State off the Puget Sound. We would get 20 knot winds all the time. Learned to fly in them. I'm now in Maine and we don't get winds that strong as often. Some people I fly with complain when the wind is up, but I enjoy flying in it. I also fly an LT-40 and have been flipped by the wind, no big deal, the plane is easy to recover. It's also kinda neat to see a trainer do a knife edge turn in a stiff wind.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:02 AM
SoonerAce
My Feedback: (1)

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH Klahoma! 20 MPH is a fair day here. But if your not used to it, it can give you a pucker! My uproar will hover great and Harrier land with grace(incredible ,considerin my typical landings). Have fun with the breeze, but just remember with out it, your landings will be considerably hotter and steeper,,,,,,,,,,Yehaaa
Old 09-07-2005, 07:42 AM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flying in the wind is part of flying. It is also an absolute blast.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:06 PM
mrbass111

well i guess it was not that great of a feat since everyone is doing it. but i guess being a newbie it was fun and wont be so afraid to try it again.. the landing was cool cuz it was almost like landing a heli. but im spoiled here in florida because there are alot of days when we have no wind, even in the winter.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:31 AM
SoonerAce
My Feedback: (1)

Whats even wilder is after you adjust to flying in winds, and you have a rare no wind day! [X(]Thats usually when you grease one in, and fold the landing gear back, Mainly because you dont have the cushion of air to float down on, in an approach. Just something to remember.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:38 PM
red head

onlyb ---- Are you flying out South of Topsham?? ENJOY !!! RED
Old 09-09-2005, 12:37 PM
onlyb
Banned

Red Head, hmmmmmmmmm. I think the BAM field is actually kinda northwest of Topsham, but if we are thinking of the same field, yea
Old 09-09-2005, 03:50 PM
red head

Now that I think about it, it was NW. It's been awhile. ENJOY !!!! RED
Old 09-09-2005, 04:54 PM
onlyb
Banned

Red, I get confused myself about direction up here. The saying, "ya caant gat thaer from heeaar" is the truth.