Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I love my Nexstar

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I love my Nexstar

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 09:08 PM
MikeG4936
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I love my Nexstar

This being my first post on RCU, I'd like to say...

HELLO to everyone!!

Greetings aside, I'd like to share my first experience behind the sticks at my new plane.

After about a year of frustrations fooling around with cheap eBay park fliers, I finally bit the bullet, joined my local club, and purchased a brand new Nexstar select RTF. Let me tell anyone thinking about the plane.... The sim is worth its price in GOLD! After quite a while on the sim, I fired up the engine, and adjusted the needle valve. It was running great full power, but it had some trouble getting there. I figured the low end mix was set wrong (using the engine manual), so I leaned that a bit and the OS .46 FXi is purring beautifully now!

I took the plane to the field, met my instructor, and took to the sky. After transferring control to my buddy box, I did a few slow turns. The instructor said the sim must have paid off, and soon (same flight) he was asking me to do a loop. I did that, and proceeded to learn the roll, all on my first flight. I was having some serious fun at about this point, and decided to do another loop (with the instructor's permission). Suddenly, right after the loop another trainer (a new guy as well) appeared right under my plane. I sort of froze up at this point, and we collided.[:@] His plane flew away unscathed, but my Nexstar had its left horizontal stabilizer clipped off. The instructor too the plane in for a (rough) landing.

We found all the parts, and it looks like I might be able to do a repair with some balsa and Monokote. Apparently I (and the other guy) got off very luckily, it seems that mid-air collisions usually result in far worse situations.

I can't wait to be flying again!!!
Old 09-11-2005, 09:56 PM
nickj

Default RE: I love my Nexstar

Tower has the tail section for the Nexstar, for around 25-30 bucks, I think.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:09 PM
pressurerat
My Feedback: (1)

REBUILD! REBUILD!
Old 09-11-2005, 11:38 PM
Bruce Bennett

Check the Adverts! If your plane crashes within two months of purchase under the guidance of an AMA instructor,
Hanger 9 will REPLACE the plane. Check it out!

Bruce Bennett

P.S. And do keep flying :>)
Old 09-12-2005, 12:19 PM
MikeG4936

Hi everyone,

I have a tail on order, however, once I gave my fater a look, he said it would be done within the day (assuming we can find my store of balsa). I'll try to post pics.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:59 AM
RCRacer75

I took delivery of my Nexstar last week and have had it flying twice, as well as doing a lot of simulator work. It is a fun plane, and even one of my club instructors remarked at how well it flew, especially at slow speeds with the optional rookie flaps installed.
What surprised me in reading your post was that the club you are flying with allowed two rookies in the sky at the same time. At our fun fly the other day we had about 25 planes there, and there were three of us that were new. We took turns being up there, as the club has a three plane limit anyway. But we kept at a higher altitude than the old pros, and didn't once have an incident in six hours of contiuous flight. The only thing bad that happened to me was I forgot to bring my glasses so the lessons were more difficult then they needed to be! And on my last flight of the day, I had just handed control to my instructor when the plane went dead stick, out of fuel. But Roland showed why he is an instructor as well as a great R/C pilot, setting my baby down better than most of the others could have with power available.
Keep flying (I know I will! )
Old 09-13-2005, 08:17 PM
nexstar22

I love my nexstar...I think Im ready to take the trainer flaps off......
Old 10-04-2005, 12:21 AM
Air Jammer

I have flown the Nextstar with my flight instructor six-weekends now and it has not
failed us yet! A few dead sticks and hard landings, but the plane is holding-up real well.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:22 PM
MikeG4936

Same here, my father and I repaired (actually rebuilt - it was beyoned repair) the broken stab perfectly, and it is back in action. Now, if only I could get those bubbles out of the fuel line... other than that, the Nexstar is still serving me well. The simulator was priceless in cutting my learning curve! This christmas, G3 is on the way for me!
Old 10-04-2005, 06:43 PM
cotman
My Feedback: (10)

I agree with all...the NexStar is a great plane to start out with. Like all of you, I was on the Sim for a month or so before buying my NrexStar. Crashed it my 3rd flight..... let my clarify... my instructor crashed it. Sent it back to factory and they repleced the whole plane. Had it back several months now and flying well (without instructor I might add) Did crash it last week, but almost have it rebuilt now. I think thats really part of the fun of flying. Can't wait to get back out this weekend.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Dave trimmer

I've been flying the next star on the G3 for half an hour a day for 2 weeks (crashing it only once a day) and have not flown a plane in real life yet, do you or any one else viewing this message believes that if i buy the next star i will be succesful without an instructor? [sm=lol.gif]

And if you know, does the alpha trainer or c3 (or 3c can't remember the correct name[:'(]) work just as well.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:32 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Dave trimmer

do you or any one else viewing this message believes that if i buy the next star i will be succesful without an instructor? [sm=lol.gif]

And if you know, does the alpha trainer or c3 (or 3c can't remember the correct name[:'(]) work just as well.

Odds are that no matter what you buy, you will crash without an instructor. If you insist on doing it that way, the Nexstar is your best bet for survival.

Good luck.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:55 PM
compass1

I too learned on the Nexstar it was a great choice. I'm 9 months in and on my third plane. I took the radio equipment and engine from the Nexstar and placed it in a Bigstik 40, that was my second plane. And now I fly a U-CAN-DO-3D With a Magnum .91 and Hitec radio equipment. I also upgraded to a Futaba 9c radio. Whats next ? Who knows. I know I should have found this hobby 20yrs ago. Thanks to the Nexstar all has been a success. Theres no turning back for me.[sm=biggrin.gif]

P.S. Wheres all the Nexstar bashers ? Not one nasty post. Yet.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Dave trimmer

Did you get an insructur for your first flights thought? I'get one but im having trouble getting one, and not too keen on the n.a.a.c.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:59 PM
compass1

I did use a instructor. My instructor also said the sim must work. He let me solo after only three flights on the buddy box. I spent about 20 hours on the sim, before I even put the Nexstar together. I took the speed brakes and the wing cuffs off after about 6 flights, the Nexstar flys better without them, and I never used the co-pilot.