Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Midwest Extra 300xs Build

Looks for more progress and dont see none*L*
    I got my ignition and servos ,its all set up and ready to go,just need the weather to cooperate and some time to get the engine dialed in.Thats a slick set up on the ignition C&H has came up with .I know it works when setting the timing I got my socks knocked off a couple times .
    If you can\'\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'\'ve got an electrical problem.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have done a little more on the build, not much though, that work thing again keeps getting in the way. So I guess in a way it's hidden progress. I have the tail glued in and getting ready to hinge everything and start putting all the gear in for a weight test to determine the covering I'll end up with. I have also been working a little on my Katana trying to get it flight worthy in the next week or so. I'll post up some more pictures sometime this week hopefully when I get back in the swing of things.

\"For those that believe, no explanation is necessary; for those that don\'t, none will suffice\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are some pics of the plane, it weights 17 with a DA-50.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn36741.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	431825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hc94093.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	431826   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sx62412.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	431827   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki19385.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	431828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh20651.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	431829  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fk17014.jpg 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	431830  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice looking plane Bar ,did you use Ulcracoat or monokote ? Tell us when you have a flight report ,mine weighs in at 16 3/4 with a G-62 so they fly close to the same as far as wing load goes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That looks great bar98. Nice color choice. I wish I was that far along. I just need to keep plugin when I get a chance, I'll get there sooner or later, hopefully sooner.
    \"For those that believe, no explanation is necessary; for those that don\'t, none will suffice\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used Ultracote. I have to run the Engine first and do final check at the field. My scale is not very good meaning is around 17.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good luck on the maiden, looking forward to your flight report.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well the wife decided I needed another project to work on while im off *L* I must get on her nerves being house bound .Anyway she got me a Extra 300S great planes kit to build .I flew one of there 40 sized for yrs and it was a nice little plane .I do like my extras no matter what size they all seem to fly well.
    I will check back and see how your doing and look for Bars flight report.
    Happy Landings.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great Plane makes a great Kit. The first one I did was the extra 300s 40 size. This was also my first kit build and built it almost before I knew how to fly. This is a pic from the other day at the field. I almost regret not building the 60 because the 40 is very small in the air and my eye's are not what they used to be.

Name:	Hf98058.jpg 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	438369  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a few other pics that have not been posted yet on the 300XS build. Havn't had/made much time lately to do any more on the extra but I have been purchasing the remaining parts needed. I have all my servo's, radio gear ,linkages, spinner , prop, batteries and switches, tail gear and wheel, even have a fuel can ready. What remains to be purchased is the covering and maybe an item or two. I will list details of the components used as I get started finishing up this plane.

These pics are of setting the stab incidence before gluing in place and checking the wing incidence as well. Also checking for the lateral alignment to the wing.

Name:	Ay75360.jpg 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	438377   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rm38157.jpg 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	438378   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge95968.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	438379  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

These pics are after gluing and shows filling the gap around the stab and the fuse. Boy did I make a mess with that I'll have to clean up. The last is the support added to the fin for applying covering, again another mess. Looks like lots of sanding in my near future.

The next step in this build is tapering the trailing edge of the stab and drilling for hinge pins. After that it's time to install the rest of the components for balance check before covering.

Name:	Nl28953.jpg 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	438389   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rm36882.jpg 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	438390   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk27129.jpg 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	438391  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks really nice. I am in the process of rebuilding a 300s that I purchased off eBay. My close friend and I shaved almost 2lbs off the plane to date and I am excited to get it covered and in the air. Power is coming from a BME 44. Should do nice with the lightened plane. A few other modifications are being done to the rudder and elevators. This is my first "gasser" so I am a bit nervous.....

Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know how you feel, I'm in the same boat. First gasser. I am looking forward to a maiden flight sometime "this" spring/summer. Don't know where the weight is yet but hopefully in the next couple days I will get back at it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It,s been a few weeks since I posted on this build. I have completed a few other items and will try and catch up posting.

In the first pic you can see where the center line of the trailing edge of the stab is marked. I used this mark as a guide to center the hinge holes on the surface. After drilling in steps to the right size, I carved the bevels top and bottom with a hobby knife and sanded smooth with a sanding bar. Repeated the other side in the same manner.

Name:	Ay76173.jpg 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	447976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cz79848.jpg 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	447977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd91695.jpg 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	447978  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After checking for a good fit and travel on the elevator hinges, I moved to the drill press and drilled the hole for the control horn. Used left over aileron stock I had in the scrap bucket to shim, this made it easy to adjust the elevator for the proper angle. After drilling I had to chamfer a 1/2" round spot flat on the bottom so the aluminum block would sit flat against the surface.

Name:	Pn37871.jpg 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	447983   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni23366.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	447984   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ol31531.jpg 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	447985   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf97742.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	447986  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Next, I marked and drilled for the rudder hinge pins about the same way as the the other surfaces except this time I did one hole at a time and tested for alignment then the next. I found this way to be more accurate with alignment of the hinge holes. Don't know why I didn't do this on the others, it was so much easier. Live and learn. This rudder looks much bigger mounted on the plane.

Name:	Fd92010.jpg 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	447996   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb88722.jpg 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	447997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh16242.jpg 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	447998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt60973.jpg 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	447999  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Next, I need to prepare for installing the tail gear and wheel. The gear that I bought is made by RCblimp. It is titanium and much more suitable for this plane than the one that came in the kit. It might have cost a little more but if it ever breaks I will get another at no cost.
    RCblimp Tail gear

First thing I did was to cut the bottom stringers short enough to have room to mount the needed plywood base. I know this will add weight but it won't be that much and I prefer something strong to hold up to abuse. Next I cut one piece of plywood to fit just under the tips of the cut stringers and flush to the rear. I then cut another piece of plywood to fit in front of the stringers and wrap around the rear 3/8"post in the fuse. I glued this in place with 30 min epoxy and banded to dry.

Name:	Tr49834.jpg 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	448003   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om32272.jpg 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	448004   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez81607.jpg 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	448005   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vs55522.jpg 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	448006  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When the epoxy dried, somewhat, I drilled the mounting hole and set screw holes and mounted the tail gear. Will harden the holes after the epoxy has cured.

The last pic is of another small project I have been working on in my spare time the last few weeks. All I need o do on this one is cut out the cowl and mount. Of course the usual setup and re-tighten everything and maiden.

Name:	Rp43730.jpg 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	448042   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nj25761.jpg 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	448043   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nk28226.jpg 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	448044  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I started adding servo's an all today to check the CG for placement of batteries and to determine if I can get away with using a pull-pull rudder servo. Looks like it will be close. I thought it would be really tail heavy, to my surprise with rudder servo in the front it damn near balanced @5-7/8" back, which is what is recommended to start. All of the parts were in the general location of where they would be mounted. I also roughly cut and placed the damaged canopy on the fuse and am a little concerned about the attachment to the front deck. As it stands, the cut edge is all there is to attach on the deck. I may have to add something to the deck to have something to glue to.

Cyberwolf, you hit the nail right on the head here. I will add 1/4 to the rails in the canopy area. Couldn't tell by your pictures but in one of them it looks like you added something to the front deck area where the canopy attaches.
    You may want to check the canopy for fit before you cover,the 1/4 inch rails wasn't really enough it just barely made it on my plane.I wished I have of used 1/2x1/4.

Name:	Hf98972.jpg 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	449717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni22509.jpg 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	449718  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey digger things are looking up there ,wont be long now .If the wind dosent blow and the creek don't rise Mine is going in the air tomorrow .I had some glitch probs but thats all fixed now so things are a go if the weather is .I will let you know how it went .were doing two big birds in the AM and hopfully all will go fine .Since I last posted here I have completed two more planes My 60 size extra and a Tsunami.Here a pic of the extra .
    Oh and yes they was a little on the stingy side withy the canopy but the 1/4 railing works great .

Name:	Li20900.jpg 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	456587   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw72116.jpg 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	456588  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yea, it's coming along but slowly. I have been so busy lately I just can't seem to get any sort of pace going. I still enjoy it though. I won't be too much longer on this one. That 60 extra looks good. Man you really flew through some kits this winter. I lost count a while back,LOL. Good luck with the maiden.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have done a little more work on the servo's and linkages. I am trying to get all the lengths worked out so I can order the correct size arms the first time and not have to change later. Looks like the elevator servo arms will be 1". Planned on using the SWB arms and for linkage I have the Dubro HD 4-40 and .188 carbon fiber rods. These turned out to be a pretty solid combination. Had to put them in the vice after gluing with JB Weld to keep the internal air from moving the tips away from each other on the shaft.

Name:	Cz79908.jpg 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	456678   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig11336.jpg 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	456679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge96290.jpg 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	456680  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Meant to put this in the last post. The carbon fiber rod and tips were purchased at Abell Hobby. I am thinking that 1" servo arms will work all the way around. I installed the rudder servo in the forward position for now to test the setup on the pull-pull. If the weight works out I will leave it there. The current setup with the supplied wire is for testing the setup as I planned on using Kevlar cable. Looks like the 2-1/2" double arm will work out good.

Name:	Ki20521.jpg 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	456681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq46733.jpg 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	456682  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

.What a day ,first off the wind didn't do what they said it was going to do ,so we sat around and decided 10-15 MPH wind wasn't to much ,so after some more range checks and throw adjusts ,it was that time .I pulled it out on the runway and taxied it up and down a couple of times to make sure the plane was going to track good.(not a prob) I lined up and fed in some throttle and away we went .All I can say is this What a nice flying plane 2 clicks of elevator and it was hands off .KE was rudder only Loops was tight, rolls was fast but they can be faster with more throw.I didn't wring it out but I did some more advanced basic maneuvers and it did them all quite well. Oh the G-62 was at around half throttle during all of this .Landing was a breeze just floats in so nice with a little head wind .All I can say is its a keeper in my book.
    My buddy Maiden's his H-9 260 today also both planes flew well with no mishap's.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thats great, sounds like you had a great time . I can't wait to maiden mine. I ended up ordering the 1-1/4" the servo arms today along with 3-1/2" wheels and a few other things. Should have evrything in the plane uncovered this week. Will use the 1" position and if needed later can have a little more throw. Don't think I will need it though. I can get almost 40^ with the one inch.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast