Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Midwest Extra 300xs Build

Well, I Worked on the aileron control rods today. Had to rubber band them together while the JB weld dried, they were longer than the small vice opening that I used on the elevator linkage. These linkages are pretty close to the final lengths but some adjustments will most likely be made during final setup. All depends on how well the hinge gluing goes. The last pic shows the finished product installed.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu61341.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	457663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw66395.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	457664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp43180.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	457665  
    \"For those that believe, no explanation is necessary; for those that don\'t, none will suffice\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, I'm gonna list the component choices I have made for this plane in the hopes that if I have made a mistake on any of the choices that someone here will speak up and say so. I have done quite a bit of research on RCU forums as well as others. In fact it was on RCU that I found out that my first choice for servo's on this plane was a poor one at best (earlier in the thread). Even though I have done lots of research, I am still and will always be capable of poor decisions, given that I am still somewhat a beginner. Keep in mind that this is my first gas plane and I did this setup with a prideful mind (really want to get this right). Some of it is overkill I know, but keeping safety in mind maybe not.

The final decision that I have to make on this build is weight dependent, and that would be to use Koverall for the skin and do an airbrush paint job. I have not made that one yet but will soon as I get the total weight without covering. I am trying to keep the weight below 16#'s. If It's possible to put the plane on a diet to make it work, then I will. If not then I will proceed with Ultracoat. I am in no great hurry as I have already spent the better part of 6 months building this plane. One other thing I need to decide and that is weather or not to install a choke servo.

With all that being said, heres the list:

Brison 3.2
    MSC 22 x 8 prop
    Dave Brown 3-1/4" spinner

Futaba R319 DPS PCM receiver
    HS5945 -
    (2) elevator
    (2) ailerons
    (1) rudder
    HS925- throttle
    SWB 1-1/4" servo arms all except rudder
    SWB 3" Double arm for rudder
    (3) Cermark DSC Superswitch
    SmartFly optical ignition cutoff
    (2) NOBS NIMH 1950 6V receiver battery
    (1) NOBS NIMH 1100 6V ignition battery
    Dubro 20 oz fuel tank w/PSP tank cap
    Kavan 3-1/2" wheels
    Stans Fiber Tech Cowl and wheel pants

\"For those that believe, no explanation is necessary; for those that don\'t, none will suffice\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I started working on parts placement today, starting with the fuel tank. The first pic shows the planned location over the CG. The shape of this tank makes me want to turn it around and have the tabs facing the rear. The location in the second is just a little aft of the recommended CG. The left side of the torpedo is the approximate recommended CG. I plan on using good Velcro straps through two pieces of lite ply screwed to the deck in the fuse. about the location of the two rules in the pic.

Name:	Li20852.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	458359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec89990.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	458360  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Next is the receiver switches. Two switches in the left side of the fuse toward the rear. I will have to create some better mounts but as you can see it's already half done. The ignition switch is on the right side away from receiver batteries and servo's. The only problem with this switch location is the fact that I have to mount the switch up-side down in order to maintain the on position to the rear, unless there is a better way. Any ideas??

Name:	Vs55456.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	458363   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx70383.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	458364  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The next item up is the receiver. I am going to try to make a mount under the fuel tank, actually would be in the front deck above the fuel tank when the plane is upright. I will be able to get to the receiver by removing the four screws that will hold the fuel tank brackets in place. The adjustments for the frequency will be exposed in this setup as you can see in the pic.

For the throttle servo I want to try the position in the fuse next to the rudder servo. I know a lot of people put them in the front as close to the throttle arm as possible but I wanted to avoid as much weight up front as I could. I will be using a 4-40 splined nylon nyrod attached to a ball snap for the throttle arm. The second pic shows the straight shot from the servo (bottom) to the firewall, and the throttle arm.

Name:	Hf99619.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	458376   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf98975.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	458377  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Digger, I see you are still at it and doing a fine job. Keep up the good work. Your patience will pay off. Joe
    Stranger in a strange place.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

AcroJo, Patience is the one thing I have plenty of. I'm just picking away at it little at a time. I'll get there, probably sooner than I think. I am hoping I will be able to paint this bird. I have a friend lined up already with an air-brush. Thinking 60's scheme, muscle cars, and a Blondie pinup across the wing span. That would be different!!

How's the rebuild on the extra 300S coming? Last time I looked you had the tail built up. I am considering some of the diet pills you put your friends extra on. Maybe even spring for a fiber landing gear.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We are hinged and ready to cover. The scheme is finalized and just need a break to get jiggy with it. Patience is the only thing that pays off in this hobby. You can always pic out the plane that was put together in a hurry.

Your ideas on paint sound cool. Paint jobs have a certian appeal to them and I really like it, but......................if it gets damaged your kinda stuck on the repair. Stay on good terms with the artist and wish him good health. Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LOL That would be the plan!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was just reading here ,I don't know if your aware of this but its not recomended to put both the IGN and Rec switch on the same side of the plane .Also keep the batterys seperated too I put mine right up front with the Ign box .BTW the build looks good ,you will like this plane ALOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not sure about this weekend I have several to Maiden yet ,so the Extra might not get flown .Thats what I get for building so dang many planes huh *LOL*
    If you can\'\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'\'ve got an electrical problem.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, the ignition switch is going on the opposite side of the fuse from the receiver switches(2). The picture in one of the last post might not have made that to clear though. I originally placed it in the most forward engine bay but have decided to move it back one bay more into the fuse area above the wing where I can get to it after covering is applied. First pic shows the original location. The second pic shows the location of the two receiver switches mounted. Ignition battery will be mounted on the engine box left side and the ignition itself mounted on the right.

I received the servo arms from SWB and I will have to lift the aileron servo's up in the tray a little to have clearance between the nylock and the wing surface. Third pic shows what I mean, too close for comfort.

Pictures posting HUGE!!, will try again in a while.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pics for previous post.

Name:	Yv65896.jpg 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	460554   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf10273.jpg 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	460555   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt56548.jpg 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	460556  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Few more updates,,

I fashioned a fuel tank bracket that is removable later on if needed. The tank is strapped to the bracket via velcro and will be position adjustable forward and aft. I will be able to set it directly on the CG this way. The velcro was attached to the tank with hot glue.
    Dang pictures showing up huge again!! Will post later.

Name:	He97316.jpg 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	461248   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nk27733.jpg 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	461249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr49901.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	461250  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Next I made a steering tiller arm to attatch to the bottom of the rudder. Found a scrap piece of aluminum that fit the bill.

Name:	Ec87748.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	461367  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was going to mount the ignition module and battery on the engine box but found I had room in the lower fuse just below the engine box. This places the parts about 2" further toward the rear. They fit perfectly and I strapped them in. I can move them later if needed. Just drilled holes in the bottom plate for the tie wraps.

Name:	Ge94949.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	461368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om32134.jpg 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	461369  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I added the throttle linkage and supported the length with three straps. I will get the other half of this picture next time.

With all this stuff being added I decided it was time to weigh in. The cowl, batteries, receiver, and spinner were placed on the fuse with wing mounted. This is everything except maybe a few small items like fuel tubing,fuel dot, I'm not sure what else was missing, Oh yea, the covering. 15 lbs. 12oz. Not quite what I expected. The covering will surely be at least 1lb or more. My goal is 16 lbs. or less RTF ,so I guess it's on a diet. I weighed the landing gear by itself and found all the info here on fat landing gear is correct. 1.1 lbs. with ultra light tires and steel axles. I will surely lighten this up but first think I will check balance and see where I can afford to loose weight.

Name:	Qn38393.jpg 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	461378  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Digger, here is a save. 8.6oz. total weight.

Now this mill job is perfection as it was done on a CNC milling machine. You could give it a go yourself and save but will be a tough job to look this good by hand. Joe

Name:	Ki19179.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	461402  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I don't have a CNC but a drill Press I do. I think I can get something similar, probably not as pretty but half the weight anyway. Thanks for the suggestion, I will try this tomorrow and if all else fails, Carbon Fiber it is. I will also have to shave some weight off the rest of the fuse.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The CF gear for this model weigh 7 oz. from GraphTec. Loseing weight is expensive. Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finally have the landing gear drilled but still have a little shaping/filing to complete. At this point it is 9oz and some. Lot better than 17 oz. and some. The scale I have does not measure between oz's. Couple of pics of the layout and the process and then the finished gear.

Name:	Zx71812.jpg 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	464653   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo38957.jpg 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	464654   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj23134.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	464655   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om33365.jpg 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	464656  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also have the ignition switch moved back in the fuse where it belongs and drilled the hole to mount the Smart-fly led. Roughly placed the receiver and placed some extensions to the rear servo's. Trying to continue with the dry run on the components before covering. Once everything is installed I will attempt to balance the plane and determine the position of the receiver batteries. Also will attempt to remove more weight from the fuselage frame.

Name:	Sq46983.jpg 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	464658   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh15858.jpg 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	464659  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Digger did I see your going to use two receivers and just one battery pack or did I miss sumpin here.
    You can save weight going with lipoly or lithium but the expense is another deal .
    I just used a single receiver and battery pack ,Used the 7 servo rule 7 or less = 1 receiver and so far it has been a flawless setup.
    One thing I may do is move my tank back to the CG later on I liked the way you did yours and may copy your idea *S*
    Outside of the gear and tires I don't know where you can shave off much weight ,make the openings in the structure larger I suppose then risk a failure maybe ?????
    I will say this ,My plane flies great at 16.25 lbs dry weight and I pick up approx 1-1/2 lbs of fuel dosen't seem to effect it what so ever .Like you I was very hard core about going over a certain amount of weight. I need to get more flying on the plane and decide if I can add a smoker or not .that could be the straw ya know .anyway good to see your still at it i'll check back later on to see how things are coming
    If you can\'\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'\'ve got an electrical problem.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am slow but stiiiiiiiill going. One receiver, two batteries, and two switches. Ignition seperate of cource.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This may be a newb question, but I was looking at your switches and you don't have any wood above/below them. What are you going to stick the covering to?

Graham
    She says I don\'t listen.
    (Or something like that)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good eye, I will probably put some light weight balsa sticks in there to secure the covering to. Glad you said something though, I probably wouldn't have seen this until I was actually covering.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast