Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

RE: Midwest Extra 300xs Build

Well, glad I could help then. Build is coming along great.

Graham
    She says I don\'t listen.
    (Or something like that)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Heres a thought I used the dubro off and on pull switch just one small hole and your done .I always set mine up so the plane or whatever is on when the knob is pulled out ,that way no dead batterys if it gets bumped in transit.
    Hey and don't worry about being slow ,this is one of the most complete thread builds I have seen ,that alone takes some time to do and in the end your plane will thank you .As well as the fellow flyers at the field with the ohhs and ahhs *S*
    Just remember this if your CG and lat is on the money the plane is a real sweetheart to fly and land .
    If you can\'\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'\'ve got an electrical problem.

Well, it's been a month since I had any time for working on this kit. I will finish, but in time. Work demands usually pick up during the summer months and usually last through the fall. We'll see how it goes this year. Any way, I hope to be back at it soon. I now have 2 to finish. Just picked up a used 28% Wild Hare Edge 540 to play with in the meantime.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo38683.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	484316  
    \"For those that believe, no explanation is necessary; for those that don\'t, none will suffice\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm jealous ,been looking at that edge for some time now .
    I flew my extra last weekend and although I said I was going to replace the wing bolts with steel I didnt and the wing is moving .Its wearing bad all because I can't get enough pressure on the long bolts (plastic).I will change and let you know how that works.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Digger, I'm jealous as well. [] Haven't worked on the Midwest rebuild in over two months. In the meantime, I've been doing a picture data base and collecting color schemes for the project. I see that you have a beautifull design, with the same colors already purchased here. Looks really sweet and very professional. How about some pics of the wings when you get them covered. Keep up the good work.

Cyberwolf, any chance of re-thinking that Dubro pull switch for something a little more substantial. The two biggest causes of failure on a gasser are batteries and switches. Just food for thought. Joe
    Stranger in a strange place.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got into the M.W. extra yesterday to do some going over the plane and what I seen I didn't like I had a prop spin on the backplate last time out and the spinner destroyed itself ,but not before it took about 1/4th of the prop off one side .This put things in a bad out of balance condition and almost destroyed my engine box.it even starting to pull the 1/8!QUOT! dowels I had it pinned with.So as a added strength fix I put 1/2 tri stock in addition to the pins and reglued it all .
    What caused all this crap was I had just put on a new prop 21x8 BME and didn't go back and re tighten it after the wood collapsed a little bit .I didn't really plan on flying the plane that day just took it to show it off a little and completely forgot to re tighten the prop.Oh well alls safe and sound now and ready to go again.

BTW the Brison 3.2 likes that same prop also.
    Hope to see back in action soon here happy landings

Sorry to hear that, I did add the tri-stock on the engine box and now I am glad I did. I purchased the MSC 22x8 prop to try first, if it's too much prop for the motor I will try the 21x8. I should be back at it soon I hope. I havn't had much time to even fly, never mind building, I hope to go fly a little this evening though.
    \"For those that believe, no explanation is necessary; for those that don\'t, none will suffice\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Digger,

I have been watching your build, Nice Plane! What was your finished weight....?

Hibrass
    Ed \"Hibrass\" Harley Club Saito #457
    \"If you don\'t know the Dog, don\'t yank his chain.\"

Hibrass, AcroJoe, sorry about the confusion,. The last picture posted is of the 540 Edge. The Midwest is still in the bones. I just wish I was that far along. The Edge will be finished sometime in a couple weeks and then I can get to covering the Midwest.

Cyberwolf, how did the wing bolts work out. I am a little concerned with the amount of threads the long front bolts have to screw into. I am considering adding more bulk under the original threaded rails just to be on the safe side.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LOL

Digger I just found my glasses... I should pay more attention... :-)

Nice plane none the less. Look forward to more info on your Midwest Kit when you get it finished...

Hibrass
    Ed \"Hibrass\" Harley Club Saito #457
    \"If you don\'t know the Dog, don\'t yank his chain.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Digger44,

I apprecaite your build thread very much.
    I'm almost ready to cover also.
    Where's a good source to see different Extra pictures for schemes ?
    And, how many foot of monokote it'll use ?

Jake.

jrotor, I like to look through the RCU Market to get ideas for covering schemes also several pics throughout the forums to look at and get more ideas. Check out the giant scale forum. In fact, I have not quite nailed down the covering I want to use on mine. Have plenty of ideas, just not the time nor the energy to take it on as of late, must be the heat. I suspect if I use Ultracote it will take at least 6 or 7 6' rolls, depending on how much overlay.

Any way, I am currently pulling out all the equipment and installing in the edge so I should be back to working on the extra soon. I have pretty much ruled out the SIG coverall method as I am afraid it and the airbrushing materials will add too much weight to this model. I was trying to find another way to do one of my original paint schemes with 60's era type stuff and a nice pinup model sprayed across the wing span or the fuse but I don't trust any other method to stay put. I regret to say that I will probably use Ultracote!![&o]

It's been quite a while since I posted to this build. I havn't done any more on the extra at this point, but I have again changed my mind on the covering after talking with a few people her and elsewhere. I have decided to cover with Sig Koverall and take my chances on the potential weight gain. This plane was not really built with the intension of 3D maneuvers anyway, so a little added weight is not going to hurt the performance. The added durability of the fabric skin will probably be well worth it. I Will set this plane up to do more scale/pattern flights with less control throws than the 3D requirements.

On the other hand the edge is almost done, havn't had much time to work on it either but I am at the point where I am moving the components around to get the proper balance @5" back from the leading edge at the tips. The previous owner had little pins installed at that point in the wing tips and also said it flew well there. I may have to move it a little further forward after the first few flights depending on my current skills.

I have installed a PPM receiver to test everything with as far as range and interference goes, but I have a question in regards to this: At what point during or after this setup and range testing do most people switch over to the PCM receiver? Do most do a permanent type install with the PPM and actually fly like that and then change to PCM after several flights or just do a temperary install(not strapped down) until range checks out ok with no interference? If anybody has any info on this I would be most appreciative. I would think that if everything checks out on the ground that their would be no need to flight test the PPM and go ahead and install the PCM.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am in the final phases of construction Thanks for your time and Photographies, have served to me as much.

Greetings from Chile
    Jorge Lezana

ORIGINAL: jlezana

I am in the final phases of construction Thanks for your time and Photographies, have served to me as much.

Greetings from Chile
    Jorge Lezana
    jlezana, Greetings to you as well from Georgia.

I am still stuck at the covering stage, I will get to it soon though. I am just about finished with the EDGE 540 as well. Just got the radio installed and ran the engine up. I had a little issue with some glitches and finally got that straightened out after two days of tinkering. Now all I need to do is strap everything in and do another check for RF interference and tune the motor for in cowl conditions. That Brison pulls like a bear with the MSC 22x8 prop. The back of my legs have bruises on them from all the radio checking and motor tuning. Here is a couple pictures of the finished EDGE.

Name:	Us55237.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	539845   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx71712.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	539846   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv64825.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	539847  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Digger, I send the photos to you of my airplane with its motor here 3w 48bi that will install to him, This motor has 5 test flights and it belonged to Quique Somenzini, that it control to makes to increasing it its power, I hope does not fail to me, has a helix Menz 20 x 10, the exhaust pipes are manually made, for smaller weight, already will send a photo to them of them.

Greetings.

Jorge Lezana
    Valdivia
    Chile

Name:	Jg14275.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	540351   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu65192.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	540352   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In27639.jpg 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	540353   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lf94752.jpg 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	540354  

Very nice jlezena!![sm=thumbup.gif] You are coming along well. Looks like you are at about the same place in the build as I am. I took my EDGE to the field yesterday to do some final range checks and had no problems. I ranged at 150 feet with the motor running/antenna down and could have gone further out, No glitching at all. The Deans whip antenna really helps in this manner by getting the antenna out of the aircraft. Compared to testing with the usual antenna, even with it routed outside the aircraft, Hands down!! The Deans works well.

Few more pictures of the finished edge radio/motor install..Maidened today and what a thrill. The wind was cranking and probably gusting 20 or so, straight across the runway. Gave me a bad case of rubber knees and sweaty palms,so I handed off to a friend who has much more experienced to takeoff and trim on the first flight. Couple clicks of left aileron and some down elev and still flew a little tail heavy. I must say with the wind cranking, the plane felt awful light. I flew around a while and played with it until time to land. A couple of approaches and I knew I was not prepared for a slightly tail heavy plane on a windy day. It just wanted to float. I would have had to push it to the ground and just was not prepared to do that, so I let the experience take over once again to land, and I am glad I did. The severe crosswind made the approach a bit touchy. Tail was yawed about 30 degrees to maintain path.

Second flight: after rechecking the balance we found that it was tail heavy. I added some weight to the nose behind the firewall, (verses moving components in the field) and rechecked the balance. This time I did the roll-out and it flew much better. Still a lot lighter than what I expected. Could have been the wind though. The Brison pulled pretty darn good, I wouldn't call it unlimited vertical but plenty. The prop used was an MSC 22x8. This prop has a lot more braking power on the down lines than I expected as well. Almost too much. Again I handed off the plane for the more experienced pilot to land. The cross wind was awesome. Didn't feel like risking the plane for my ego. The edge will live to fly another day, hopefully one that is less windy so I can get a feel for the plane and not the wind.

Name:	Jh16834.jpg 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	541092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ax73053.jpg 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	541093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn37128.jpg 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	541094   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq48161.jpg 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	541095   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl29089.jpg 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	541096  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo40611.jpg 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	541097  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Its been a while since I checked in on your progress digger .That edge looks great ,I have seen a couple vids of it flying It just may be my next gas plane also.

Arco Joe I dont follow you with your statement about the pull on & off dubro switch holder.I used heavy duty switches all the pull part does is allow the switch to stay inside the plane and make one small 1/4 inch hole for install.
    Maybe you can inlighten me as to what your concerns may be .

Thanks, I don't think you would regret getting the wildhare. I seems to be built very strong. It flies a lot lighter than I expected, after some more time flying I think I am going to like this plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf
    Arco Joe I dont follow you with your statement about the pull on & off dubro switch holder.I used heavy duty switches all the pull part does is allow the switch to stay inside the plane and make one small 1/4 inch hole for install.
    Maybe you can inlighten me as to what your concerns may be .
    Sorry, my bad. I never took into consideration the combination of a quality switch, retro fitted to the push/pull switch mechanism. I assumed it was one of the cheapo combos that come packaged as switch and mechanism.

Without considering that, my first thoughts were to common failures and aside from a battery or connector failure, a substandard switch gone south ranks right up there. Thank you for allowing me to explain my mistake. Joe

BTW, my Midwest Extra 300 rebuild, for a good friend, has been sitting in the shop, haunting me since March. All it needs is the covering. Really looking forward to it, as it went from an existing 15lb. model to a highly anticipated 13-1/2lb. lightweight. One of the problems with the summer months. If I'm not working, I'm flying.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the reply ,I don't know about where your at but flying season here is just about done with untill the winds stop ,then we'll get snow and time for skis *LOL*

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Over and up, in the northeast. Pocono mountian area. Its really hit or miss for us unless the ground is covered. Today is in the low 50s and blowing rain. Tomorrow is forcast in the high 60s and sunny with mild wind. I usually grab every opportunity available. A buddy has a private air strip that he keeps maintained for the freak winter days that get near 50. Warm up in the hanger and brave the cold for a flight. Other than that, its rippin' foam @ the local dome every Sunday night in the off season.

Although tempted, I never tried skis, but have gone as far as taking advantage of those times when the snow crusts up on top and forms a nice ice tarmac.

Here is the dream, hit the lotto and travel to where ever the weather is fair with planes in tow. An RC bum. Later, Joe

ORIGINAL: AcroJo

BTW, my Midwest Extra 300 rebuild, for a good friend, has been sitting in the shop, haunting me since March. All it needs is the covering. Really looking forward to it, as it went from an existing 15lb. model to a highly anticipated 13-1/2lb. lightweight. One of the problems with the summer months. If I'm not working, I'm flying.
    I know the feeling, My midwest has been sitting for a while now too. All it needs is covering and a couple of tidy up things. I am eager to get back on it, but to this point I just havn't had the time. I have the covering material, Koverall, Just need to pick up some Butyrate dope. Sounds like a nice dream "Rc bum", but to be honest I've had better. LOL[sm=lol.gif]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yep I would like to own a home in AZ live there during the winter and here in the summer best of both worlds ,getting old aint for sissys but getting older and the cold dont cut it for me *L*

Digger I have looked at that koverall several times but never have used it.Seems to be lite weight untill you add the primer and paint of course .But I was under the impression that it stuck down just like ultra coat or monokote ,wasn't aware you had to use dope with it .

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast