Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

My First Plane/Build ( SIG LT-40)

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

My First Plane/Build ( SIG LT-40)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 09:33 PM
cokomojo81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Plane/Build ( SIG LT-40)

I am starting this thread after reading Tigerdude426's thread earlier. This is my first "Real" RC plane. I didn't want to just go out and buy an RTF or ARF, that would be too easy and I wouldn't appreciate or enjoy it as much. I do have a few park flyers (Firebird & Aerobird) that I have been trying to learn with. An Hints/Tips, advice, criticism or any input at all is welcomed. I just joined the AMA and plan on joining a local club in the next few weeks. With it being so close to the winter I am not expecting to maiden her until the spring. I plan on keeping this thread going from build to crash!!!LOL Here are some pics of my progress so far.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86288.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	331844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90491.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	331845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22750.jpg
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	331846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25760.jpg
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	331847  
Old 09-30-2005, 10:46 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: My First Plane/Build

Lookin good!

Maybe change the subject of the post so folks know it's a Sig LT-40 build?

Looking forward to more pics and progress. Keep us updated! [8D]

somegeek
Old 10-01-2005, 12:15 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: My First Plane/Build

In today's 'hurry-up' world, it's nice to see someone building a kit. Looks like a fine job! I have always thought of building planes as the hobby, and flying them as a sport. You will have the skills and information needed to repair any future 'Uh-oh's'.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:53 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: My First Plane/Build ( SIG LT-40)

cokomojo81,
Glad to see you come on over from the dark side!! I love seeing people when they realize that yes they can actually build that airplane. Some people are preaching the demise and end of kits and building, but I think that in the next few years we'll see kits making a comeback. I'm not saying that ARF's/RTF's are going away, because those are here to stay. But I think that we'll see more and more that discover how great it is to build their own plane, and we should see the market reflect that with more kits (fingers crossed for it to happen).

I've seen pretty much the same reasons why a lot of people want to build their own airplanes: (in no particular order)
- They're tired of their plane looking like 20 other planes at the field.
- "Assembling" an ARF/RTF just isn't challenging
- Not having the understanding and skills needed to make simple repairs.
- A sense of pride and joy of building a plane.
I'm pretty sure there are other reasons, but those are the ones that come to my mind right off the bat.

I want you to make a note of what I tell you right now, and then remember it when you fly your plane. You know that feeling you got when you soloed? It wasn't anything compared to the feeling of seeing a plane you built take to the air for the first time. Watching you plane on it's maiden flight is about 1,000 times better than your solo flight. Just ask some of those that have recently finished up a build thread and flew them for the first time. You'll find that your addiction to this hobby will reach a whole new level that you didn't think was possible!!

I don't know if you saw this, but I'm getting ready to do a build thread with an LT-40 in a couple of weeks. I'm going to build the trainer for somebody else, but I wanted to do a build thread on here during the build and also make a "how-to" of a build for the RCU magazine. I should be starting that in a week or two.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about your build, I'm sure the RCU community will be more than happy to help answer your questions.

Ken
Old 10-01-2005, 01:55 AM
figment

It may be a little early to call, but smell another ringer! That looks extremely good so far.

Keep up the good work! I'll be following the thread.

Patrick
Old 10-01-2005, 02:25 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Looks good, though I do have a question. Isn't the wing sheeted from the leading edge to the front spar on top and bottom, as well as from the rear spar to the trailing edge on the bottom? If I'm wrong, that's great. I'm going from other Kadets I've seen and just want to be sure your wing is right.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:37 AM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

ORIGINAL: RCKen
You know that feeling you got when you soloed? It wasn't anything compared to the feeling of seeing a plane you built take to the air for the first time. Watching you plane on it's maiden flight is about 1,000 times better than your solo flight. Just ask some of those that have recently finished up a build thread and flew them for the first time.

Ken
I couldn't have said it better, and the above quote is 100% correct. Seeing something that you built with your own hands take to the sky is probally the ULTIMATE satisfaction in this hobby IMO. When that Plane takes to the air on its maiden voyage, and you see how good of job you done, your body will swell up with pride twice its original size.
Ray
Old 10-01-2005, 02:55 PM
somegeek

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

Looks good, though I do have a question. Isn't the wing sheeted from the leading edge to the front spar on top and bottom, as well as from the rear spar to the trailing edge on the bottom? If I'm wrong, that's great. I'm going from other Kadets I've seen and just want to be sure your wing is right.
You sheet the top after you join the wing together.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:34 PM
shd3920

Yeah, another build thread . Can't wait to see more, going to follow this one to the end. Looking real good so far, hope I do as well with the LT-40 I have coming soon. I will be following this thread closely so I will know what to do by the time I start mine.

P.S: Nice to see you using titebond glue. I like that glue very much.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:06 PM
cokomojo81

Hey guys! I will be posting more pics of the project later this evening. I do have to say so far it seems waaay easier than I thought it would be. The hardest part of it is walking away from to go do something else. (ie. Work laundry eat!) All I can think about is getting to see her roll down the runway and take flight.

Enough daydreaming! I wanted to get some experienced advice. First I am thinking of an O.S .46ax upfront and a Futaba 6EXA Inside. Opinions?

One other thing I was wonder how do you guys get your plane to the field. I have a small pick-up and I am not sure the assembled wings are even going to fit in the back. I am also worried about them sliding around and getting damaged.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:24 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Enough daydreaming! I wanted to get some experienced advice. First I am thinking of an O.S .46ax upfront and a Futaba 6EXA Inside. Opinions?
Perfect combo so go for it. I have a OS .46FX on mine and it really flies it nice, can't go wrong with the futaba either!
Old 10-01-2005, 05:34 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

ORIGINAL: cokomojo81
I have a small pick-up and I am not sure the assembled wings are even going to fit in the back. I am also worried about them sliding around and getting damaged.
A sleeping bag works good. Just put the Plane and the unattatched wing in a sleeping bag, and then bungie the slack in sleeping bag snug(Not Tight) to the Plane.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:55 PM
somegeek

One other thing I was wonder how do you guys get your plane to the field. I have a small pick-up and I am not sure the assembled wings are even going to fit in the back. I am also worried about them sliding around and getting damaged.
One method I've seen with truck beds is a small plywood shroud - just enough to fit the plane(broken down of course) with some cross beams inside for the wing to sit on. Looked like the top of a dog house kinda. Seemed to work well.

hardest part of it is walking away from to go do something else.
Every spare moment I had I was stopping by my build to glue something up or what not. Little bit of work here and there between longer building sessions really moves the project along.

somegeek
Old 10-01-2005, 06:25 PM
cokomojo81

I was thinking about trying to build some type of wooden craddle for the back of my truck, but the sleeping bag seems like a much simpiler solution. Well here is what I got done today.

Name:	Lj21753.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	332271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20874.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	332272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81603.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	332273  
Old 10-01-2005, 06:28 PM
cokomojo81

Here are a few more pics! It wouldn't let me upload all of them in one shot!

Name:	Om33409.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	332276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83008.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	332277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65744.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	332278  
Old 10-01-2005, 07:05 PM
R T W

Looking good keep at it
Old 10-01-2005, 09:48 PM
carrellh

Engine and radio should be good choices.

I don't have any detailed photos of my PVC plane carrier but it works great.

Name:	Jh17022.jpg
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	332401  
Old 10-01-2005, 10:40 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

I drive a suburban, aka: "aircraft carrier USS Disaster" , bought it used specifically for to/from work, and carrying planes to the field, and combinations of the two. Modifications for charger, tools, planes, etc,coming soon.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:14 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I drive Nissan Frontier pickup with a camper shell on the back. I can get 2 40 size planes in the back of it assembled. Take a look at the plane on the floor of the bed and you can see how you might get your assembled plane in the truck. Just us something to hold it down while you moving so it doesn't fly out of your bed while you are driving down the street.

Also, you will notice the cords and chargers on the tailgate of my truck. Since I park my truck in the garage at night I will load my planes into the back of my truck and then I will charge them in the truck.

Hope this helps

Ken

Name:	Vt55949.jpg
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	332444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79948.jpg
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	332445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12512.jpg
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	332446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16789.jpg
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	332447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf51991.jpg
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	332448  
Old 10-02-2005, 02:42 PM
somegeek

Here are a few more pics! It wouldn't let me upload all of them in one shot!
Kinda OT - might check with your internet provider to see if you have a web space. Most usually do. I uploaded my pics to my Comcast space (25MB). You get up to five email addresses with Comcast and each one gets 25MB of web space. Works great for posting on the web. Sure there are a grip of free providers, but Comcast is drag and drop after you set up.

somegeek
Old 10-02-2005, 03:14 PM
sticktickler

Nice job so far on the LT-40, I've built many LT-25 looks much the same. You just can't beat Sig kits strong, light, easy to build and fly. If you like the plane and do well with it soon try the four star 60 for your next plane you'll just love it. Then the Hog bipe is just a great plane aswell so easy to fly. I built three from scratch 16% larger to put a 35cc gasser on it, I just love em.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:39 PM
onlyb
Banned

For transportation I build a cradle that lets me load two planes into my truck. I'll post some pics when I get them. By the way, congrats on deciding to build. You'll be glad you did, but you also be sorry. RC kits are like that potato chip commercial, "You can't build just one." LOL. enjoy the build, and then enjoy it's first flight.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:03 AM
SoonerAce
My Feedback: (1)

Great to see another builder in the makings! RCKen said it perfectly. It is an incredible feeling to watch an aircraft climb out on its maiden, that started out as a box of sticks and sheets of liteply.

46AX worked great for my first LT 40 kit. It gives you a nice buffer of power, should you need it to get out of trouble. Mine flew hands off at half throttle just fine. Later upgraded to OS 61 SF, can you say Pylon Racing Albatross?

As for transporting a Kadet LT 40? I hauled mine to the field in back of my Nissan ext cab pickup, with only a piece of 1/4" rope tied aroundfrom the prop (which was covered in a styrofoam block, strapped on with velcro)to the back corner hook. and the wing sat on a towel. I also put a "spiderweb" bungee set over top of bed, just in case 65mph wind tunnel wanted to levitate my parts! Never damaged one hauling it like that, now flyin them, dats a totally different animal.

Again, Welcome to the fraternity of builders. The build looks great so far. Cant wait to see more.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:38 AM
cokomojo81

Sorry for no update yesterday! Didn't get any time to work on it all day. I think that I am definatly going to go with the O.S. .46ax and the Futaba.

I also wanted to ask if there are any upgrades that I should do from the hardware supplied with the kit. I already have to buy hinges do to the fact that I have had this kit sitting around for about 6 years and I lost one of the hardware bags.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:21 AM
ccushway

I am just finishing my LT40 and found that the "easy" hinges were not so easy. I just could not get them to work. A guy from the field told me to try Robart hinge points.
Check out this site as I am a newbie and this may not be the kind of thing that you are looking for. I have just installed them and they were super easy to put in.

http://www.robart.com/how_to/hinge_points.aspx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.