Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Are wooden props more safer?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Are wooden props more safer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:06 AM
jessiej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are wooden props more safer?

ORIGINAL: Jburry

Of course, they're all toys in that they are things we play with. It's just that alot of beginners arrive at the field with "Toy" in their head, and so don't take standard safety procedures seriously. It's a toy afterall, it's not gonna hurt me. Folks with this attitude seldom go long in this hobby, so we try to remove that "toy" mentality, and replace it with a "model" mentality. Helps engender the respect these machines deserve.

J
Excellent comment, Jburry. My "toys" include motorcycles, firearms, power tools and other potentially dangerous artifacts. A model aircraft needs to be treated with respect equal to any of them.

jess
Old 07-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Jburry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are wooden props more safer?

Mine include chainsaws, snowblowers and wood chippers. Same deal, ungarded high speed rotating elements.... And airguns - projectiles....

About bending shafts on small glow engines..... Rare. Usually, that degree of force breaks the case, but there's always the exception. It becomes increasingly easier with larger engines, and longer props.

The shaft on a small glow engine is actually quite huge for the power developed. As it has to be, what with the rotary valve arrangement most use.

J