Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Pay It Forward Build Thread!! Sig LT-40 build

I've emailed SIG and am waiting on their reply...The fuselage is pretty straight forward...I think if I could get the measurements of the tail pieces I could probably go ahead and build them...along with a picture so I can semi duplicate the shapes..
    \"if you\'\'re going to be \'\'STUPID\'\' you need to be real fast or very tough\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You should try starting a new thread and maybe post it in the Kit Building section.  I'm sure someone would have a set they could post you?
    I am always right and if you don\'\'t agree with me then you must be wrong!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

see page 32 of this thread for each build step listed in order i can see all the photos from one post taht way.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I lost my trainer last year do to my fault, Someone was talking to me and I took my eyes off the plane and the student got it out to far for these eyes to see, and crash! So I am building the LT 40 for the new trainer! Sure love to build and this is a great kit, happy to see others enjoy it as well!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I have the Senior finished with a few modifications...waiting on a good day to maiden it...Have the LT-40 ready to cover....will do that tomorrow...putting a Saito 50 on it...should be enough to pull it around the sky...here's a few pic of both of them....added bolt on wings to the LT-40 as well as the Kadet Senior...both of these are kit builds with a little changes..the Senior I made it a tail dragger and added ailerons...took most of the dihedral out...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pn37908.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	1569992   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pk30366.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	1569993   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yd81759.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	1569994   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn32446.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	1569995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	om33915.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	1569996  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nj25582.jpg 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	1569997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ek15017.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	1569998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	le93347.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	1569999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fq88450.jpg 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	1570000  
    \"if you\'\'re going to be \'\'STUPID\'\' you need to be real fast or very tough\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Both look very nice! great job on the covering! I have to maiden my LT-40 its ready. And I have a Tiger 2 on the bench got the tail feathers done now on the wing. Sure do love building! Let us know how the maidens go. Good luck!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I sure will..I've been out of the hobby for 15 plus years...boys are grown and I have time to fly again...I'm like you I love to build but not real comfortable flying...I have TF Corsair that is partially built that I will do next...I'm wanting to build a 100" Stuka from Ziroli planes...I have an air siren I picked up at a swap meet a couple of weeks ago...so I guess I'll build a plane around it..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I may have to go dust off some planes in progress.
    trying to tax into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle W. Churchill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RC Ken

Great build thread and I know you are busy but where is the final act?!? I feel like I sat through a great movie but missed the ending. (unless it is posted somewhere else) I was waiting to see the fuse covering, final touches and full assembly.

BTW this thread was excellent. I never thought I would ever touch a kit and stick with the ARF but now I see that it is not as hard as I perceived and now I think I will build my first plane this winter. Thanks for the inspiration to do this.

Fox Valley Aero Club AMA 252

SIG LT-40, eFlite T-34 Mentor, GP Big Stik, MCPx, Slash 4x4, Axial SCX10

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just thought I would say thanks and to let you know that 8 years after the original build, people are still appreciating the information and advice you give.

Just finished reading the thread front to back. Just wanted to give a huge shout out to RCKen. Very, very informative. I hope to obtain the skill level that you have some day.

While reading the thread, I was looking at all the hobby sights and put together a pretty good kit. I am going to go with the PT-40. I used to build models as a kid, and am looking forward to getting back into the hobby. Also being deployed with time on my hands really helps get your research done and keeps you from making quick decisions. Lots of time to think about it.

Big thank you to everyone else who put their little tiddly bits of information in. Big help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by oAPEXo View Post
    Just finished reading the thread front to back. Just wanted to give a huge shout out to RCKen. Very, very informative. I hope to obtain the skill level that you have some day.

While reading the thread, I was looking at all the hobby sights and put together a pretty good kit. I am going to go with the PT-40. I used to build models as a kid, and am looking forward to getting back into the hobby. Also being deployed with time on my hands really helps get your research done and keeps you from making quick decisions. Lots of time to think about it.

Big thank you to everyone else who put their little tiddly bits of information in. Big help.
    I'm glad that we/I could inspire you. Please keep us posted on your progress as you get start with a trainer.

Ken
    The take off is optional, but the landing is MANDATORY!!
    RCU Forum Manager
    www.gettingairborne.com
    RCKen Publications
    Brotherhood's
    Ultra Sport Brother #1
    Sig Brotherhood #4
    Balsa USA #4

Ken, Your thread inspired me to build an LT 40. Last season was my first and it was quite successful. I'm starting flying season two now and starting to work on my next plane. Thank you for your efforts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    Ken, Your thread inspired me to build an LT 40. Last season was my first and it was quite successful. I'm starting flying season two now and starting to work on my next plane. Thank you for your efforts.
    You are more than welcome. I'm definitely glad that I could help get you the air. If I can get one per flying then I feel I have been successful in what I'm doing!!!

Do you have any pictures of your LT-40?? We'd sure love to see them here.

Ken
    RCU Forum Manager
    www.gettingairborne.com
    RCKen Publications
    Brotherhood's
    Ultra Sport Brother #1
    Sig Brotherhood #4
    Balsa USA #4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Ken, does it have to be an LT-40? Would a slightly modified Jr be okay to put in this thread? I've started working on one from the plans of a long ago destroyed kit so.......................

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
    Ken, does it have to be an LT-40? Would a slightly modified Jr be okay to put in this thread? I've started working on one from the plans of a long ago destroyed kit so.......................
    I don't see any reason why not!!! The more the merrier in my mind.

Ken
    RCU Forum Manager
    www.gettingairborne.com
    RCKen Publications
    Brotherhood's
    Ultra Sport Brother #1
    Sig Brotherhood #4
    Balsa USA #4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    RCKen - First off I want to Thank-You for all the time and information you have invested in this build thread. You have contributed a very considerable amount of your valuable wisdom and knowledge in building this Airplane. So much so that you've given me the confidence to build one myself! Well. almost by myself.
    I bought three planes at an auction. Two of them are ABF's ( Already Been Flown ) and one is a Semi completed LT-40 Kit. The Kit looks like someone started with good intentions, tried to follow the instructions, got confused and gave up. I checked the parts inventory and all the pieces are there, so I just need to fix a few problem areas and should be airborne by next spring!
    The most obvious problem is the former builder hacked the slots for the hinges. I don't know how thin of a slot the power hinge slottter tool makes, but what this guy did was carve out a cavern in the TE and ailerons. I would appreciate your advice on how to fix these oversized holes, as I don't think Thick CA would be appropriate to fill the gap and get a good hinge joint. I've included some pictures for you viewing pleasure. Again, Thank you for making his build thread
    1 - Pic of the two ABF planes
    2 - Could this be a Sig Kougar ?
    3 - Top Wing Trainer
    4 - Close up of the Wide Gaps for Hinge slots
    5-Close up of the Ailerons 6- Future site of my Building Table and OOdle's of tools...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture049 002.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	933.9 KB 
ID:	2028057
    ^Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PictureLt40 003.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	2028052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PictureLt40 005.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	2028053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PictureLt40 008.jpg 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	2028054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PictureLt40 011.jpg 
Size:	674.3 KB 
ID:	2028055Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PictureLt40 012.jpg 
Size:	628.0 KB 
ID:	2028051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PictureLt40 009.jpg 
Size:	651.8 KB 
ID:	2028056
    Manufacturing Balsa Dust since 1960, not continuously, just whenever possible !

Glowhead Brotherhood #82
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #166
    Sig Brotherhood # 134

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hi Renegade,

If I could toss my $.02 in here, I had a similar situation with an LT-25 I'm currently completing. Someone with good intentions and bad skills got to it first but I've just about fixed all the issues.

FYI, when I use my Slot Cutter, even with the thicker blades, sometimes the slot is still a very snug fit on a CA hinge. I think that these 'caverns' (well said) are going to be a problem. I don't think that thick CA is the answer and the loss of all that wood will create a weak spot in the spar. One of those is going to get you someday when it buckles in flight.

IMHO, and for what it's worth, I would cut some filler pieces (called a Dutchman) for each of those slots and insert them. Carve them for a snug fit but DON'T glue them in yet (more in a second). Between the slots, you could cut fresh holes for Robart pin hinges. Once these holes are properly located, you could then glue in your filler pieces in with THIN CA. The Thin CA will wick in nicely and strengthen that weak spot.

If you should glue the Dutchmen in before you drill holes for those Robart pin hinges, the thin CA could migrate through the surrounding wood and make it as hard as a rock, and difficult to drill for those Robart hinges.

As I said earlier, just my $.02

Bob
    Club Saito #61 Cub Brotherhood #107
    Spitfire Brotherhood #143
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    RCKen - First off I want to Thank-You for all the time and information you have invested in this build thread. You have contributed a very considerable amount of your valuable wisdom and knowledge in building this Airplane. So much so that you've given me the confidence to build one myself! Well. almost by myself.
    I bought three planes at an auction. Two of them are ABF's ( Already Been Flown ) and one is a Semi completed LT-40 Kit. The Kit looks like someone started with good intentions, tried to follow the instructions, got confused and gave up. I checked the parts inventory and all the pieces are there, so I just need to fix a few problem areas and should be airborne by next spring!
    The most obvious problem is the former builder hacked the slots for the hinges. I don't know how thin of a slot the power hinge slottter tool makes, but what this guy did was carve out a cavern in the TE and ailerons. I would appreciate your advice on how to fix these oversized holes, as I don't think Thick CA would be appropriate to fill the gap and get a good hinge joint. I've included some pictures for you viewing pleasure. Again, Thank you for making his build thread
    1 - Pic of the two ABF planes
    2 - Could this be a Sig Kougar ?
    3 - Top Wing Trainer
    4 - Close up of the Wide Gaps for Hinge slots
    5-Close up of the Ailerons 6- Future site of my Building Table and OOdle's of tools...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture049 002.jpg 
Size:	933.9 KB 
ID:	2028057
    ^Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PictureLt40 003.jpg 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	2028052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PictureLt40 005.jpg 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	2028053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PictureLt40 008.jpg 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	2028054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PictureLt40 011.jpg 
Size:	674.3 KB 
ID:	2028055Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PictureLt40 012.jpg 
Size:	628.0 KB 
ID:	2028051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PictureLt40 009.jpg 
Size:	651.8 KB 
ID:	2028056
    I'm very glad that I could help. That's what I put my build thread up for. Please keep us posted on your progress and let us know when your planes fly!!!

Ken
    RCU Forum Manager
    www.gettingairborne.com
    RCKen Publications
    Brotherhood's
    Ultra Sport Brother #1
    Sig Brotherhood #4
    Balsa USA #4

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334