Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Returning after a 10 year layoff... Thinking of starting with a "second" airplane.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Returning after a 10 year layoff... Thinking of starting with a "second" airplane.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 02:07 PM
caseyh46
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Returning after a 10 year layoff... Thinking of starting with a "second" airplane.

Wow.. it's been so long I was surprised my login still worked!

So as stated, after a 10 year hiatus I'm thinking about jumping back in. I built and flew for a few years and was active in a group before things went all pear shaped and I had to step away for a bit. Overseas duty, deployments, and kids can really slow down the old hobby endeavors so it's quite exciting to think of going back to the field to fly!

First thing I've noticed, holy crap! Radio's etc... are miles ahead of what I remember and is it just me or does the hobby seem more affordable now? Most likely that's a perception thing lol

Now to my thought. I feel like if I went about it the right way I could handle starting with a "second plane" to get back in the saddle. There's a local club I'm trying to reach that has a good field. I was going to re-up my AMA membership, get in with the local club and see if one of their qualified instructors would exchange some frosty beverages for flying/trimming my new craft and then putting me on the buddy box for a couple weekends until I had knocked a sufficient amount of rust off.

As far as the airplane... I was considering the Sig Four Star 64 ARF or the Hangar 9 Pulse XT60 ARF. They both seem to have good reviews and good flight characteristics. I'd like to avoid buying a "proper"40 sized trainer to then have to move on shortly thereafter. Sound do-able?

Also.. again with the perception thing... I can finally actually afford one of those fancy Saito engines I always saw at the field now haha!

Good to be back,
Cheers
Old 05-10-2015, 02:37 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check a few reviews/threads on the SIG ARFs before you buy, at one point they were having problems but I think they have changed manufactures of there ARFs. I know the Pulse is a good one and both the 4* and Pulse are pretty much the same plane.
When you get with the club a lot of them have a trainer and box already set up for new students, if not, someone in the club probably does so no reason to run out and buy anything right away.
Once you have spent a little time on the trainer then either of the planes you have chosen should be just fine for you.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:00 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Casey, first and foremost thank you for your service and welcome back to the forum

Yes your plan certainly "sounds doable" as you put it and even practical if you are willing to find the right mentor at the field or elsewhere and to work with a buddy cord system. The Sig Four Stars are delightful airplanes and also functional as first trainers if one is working with a competent mentor.

Now a quick word about trainer systems. There are some radio systems out the that are cordless (that's right no cord) Now that may not sound like a big deal but rest assured it a big deal. I not about to try to explain the subtle effects this has on the students but here at our field where four of us use nothing but cordless systems, there is a noticeable improvement in the learning and a shortening of time required.

Now as far as that Saito , Hmm could not have picked a better time now there is definitely more folks tending towar electric and some gassers. It a good time to look for the gem that you remember and the best places to look for it is not ebay or the forums but your own local club or nearby clubs actions or swap meets Never a better time than to be bargain hunting for glow stuff.

Good Luck

John
Old 05-10-2015, 03:21 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We just had our local clubs swap meet last week and there were a ton of four strokes new in box for sale and even more used engines. All brands. I picked up a parts engine, a YS 91 for 20 bucks and when I got it home all it needs is a new rear bearing. I will install all new bearings and a new ring but there were a lot of engines to choose from.
Because we had a Saito dealer in my town there were a lot of them on the tables for some very good prices. I love swap meets.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:19 PM
caseyh46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
Casey, first and foremost thank you for your service and welcome back to the forum

Yes your plan certainly "sounds doable" as you put it and even practical if you are willing to find the right mentor at the field or elsewhere and to work with a buddy cord system. The Sig Four Stars are delightful airplanes and also functional as first trainers if one is working with a competent mentor.

Now a quick word about trainer systems. There are some radio systems out the that are cordless (that's right no cord) Now that may not sound like a big deal but rest assured it a big deal. I not about to try to explain the subtle effects this has on the students but here at our field where four of us use nothing but cordless systems, there is a noticeable improvement in the learning and a shortening of time required.

Now as far as that Saito , Hmm could not have picked a better time now there is definitely more folks tending towar electric and some gassers. It a good time to look for the gem that you remember and the best places to look for it is not ebay or the forums but your own local club or nearby clubs actions or swap meets Never a better time than to be bargain hunting for glow stuff.

Good Luck

John
Thank you John!

Wow... just wow... Cordless training systems? That's wild! It does seem that the trend is moving towards the electric stuff which is quite impressive. Maybe it's just what I remember but I figured I'd check that "sweet 4 stroke" engine off my 25 year old self's wish list!

Definitely am looking forward to figuring out this club and check out a swap meet or two!
Old 05-13-2015, 12:48 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Casey, do you remember the hobby expo they used to have at the Puyallup Fairgrounds? It's now held at the Monroe Fairgrounds in February. That might be a good place to look for used aircraft on the cheap. Have you considered building a 4 Star rather than buying an ARF? It would be my choice but, then again, I've never been a fan of ARFs after seeing some of the ones coming into the US over the years.
Just out of curiosity, where is the club you're referring to? I know there used to be a club that flew at the ALF just outside of Coupeville, not sure if it's still there or not.
I'm assuming you're a Navy vet, like me. Again, out of curiosity, what do/did you do and with what command? I had two tours in Oak Harbor so it's nice to talk to others that have been on "The Rock"
Old 05-13-2015, 06:29 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Gonna throw something different at you Casey. Even though most of the time I hate when someone goes a different direction from what the OP ask. That being said your plane choices are not bad. To that list I would add the .60 size GP Escapade. ( ill put the link below). This is a low wing but very stable. I currently have a student using one of these. It lands and takes off like a trainer even though it is a tail dragger. He likes it better in the air than the .40 size trainer he was using because it's more stable.
Now for the off topic part. I too enjoy the sound and power of a Saito 4-stroke. But the reason so many are for sale is gas. No starter, no field box, no clean up and residue on your hands. there are many advantages to gas. The plane I mentioned above we powered with a DLE 20cc. It a great match up and took only a few small mods to the motor mount to make it work.

Good luck and welcome back, David

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAMXN&P=ML
Old 05-29-2015, 11:06 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want to catch up on radios, you might find this helpful.

How to select your first radio
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11303696/tm.htm