Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Another LT-40 Success Story!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Another LT-40 Success Story!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 08:36 PM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another LT-40 Success Story!!

My son and I built Sig's Kadet LT-40 from a kit after researching recommended trainers from this forum and various other sources. For power we chose the highly recommended Thunder Tiger 46 Pro and a Futaba 6XAs computer radio - it's cool the way you can memorize trim settings and mix some rudder in (25%) with ailerons (Ch1-->Ch4 mix).

After gaining a lot of "stick time" on the GP Real Flight G2 simulator, we joined a local club and started flight training via the buddy box. After 6 flights each, our instructor said we were ready to solo during calm winds. Since local schools were out for conferences we decided to hit the club field during mid-week but found no one there. Cloudy day with a mild cross wind so we decided to prep everything, taxi out and try a few touch 'n go's - thus constituting our first unsupervised solos.

Son (age 13) shown here attaching the tank access hatch after fueling up the LT-40. He is working on his Boy Scout aviation merit badge and is already an accomplished control line pilot. The LT-40 looks good in cub yellow MonoKote, doesn't it?

All fueled up and carry out to the test stand where we'll attach the rest of the rubber bands, fire up the engine and set the high/low speed needle valves. A radio range check was also performed.

Only complaint about the LT-40 is it requires TWELVE #67 size rubber bands to attach the wing. Alex had a couple slip off the hook and popped his knuckles. His least favorite R/C chore... Note cross wind condition via the wind sock.

Even though we've got the field to ourselves we still follow protocol and impound the TX upon arriving. Note our frequency pin (ch. 15) properly displayed and our club membership cards in the active flying station clips. We joined an R/C club to learn how to fly SAFELY as well as just learning to bore holes in the skies without boring them in the ground.

The Thunder Tiger 46 Pro purrs at idle. From BEHIND the prop, I opened the throttle and richened the high speed needle slightly. On Wildcat Premium 15% and a Master Airscrew 11x5 prop, it'll top out at 13,000 RPM on the ground. Transition from idle was very smooth. We painted the tips of the black MA prop yellow for visibility but still hard to see with no direct sunlight. I also changed out the supplied black spinner for a nice, bright yellow one.

Alex takes his turn. I made the first flight and made probably my best landing - my first ever landing without the buddy box attached. [8D] Alex gets a feel of the ground tracking of the LT-40's tricycle landing gear by making several runs up and down the length of the runway. Turn it around and taxi the length going the other way.

Taxied out and headed it into the wind. OK, so the wind was virtually perpendicular to the runway - we had to guess which way to take off. A computer radio such as the Futaba 6XAs we are using makes it VERY convenient to store previously set trims for up to 6 models. Well, so far we only have one R/C model built but those trim levers sometimes do get moved by accident. Opened the throttle, used rudder to hold her centered on the runway and...

We're up, up and away!!! This CAD designed laser cut kit proved very straightforward to build. With it's proven gentle flight characteristics, it really takes much of the [X(] factor out of your first UNSUPERVISED SOLO. YAY!!!

Now at a safe altitude after climbout we turn back onto the downwind leg and throttle back to practice turns, descents and more climbs. The LT-40 handled the cross wind reasonably well. Glad we have the reserve power available with the TT 46 Pro. It's slight extra weight helped the CG to fall within specs as well.

Here we come on approach for one of our several touch 'n goes. The TT 46 Pro has a very reliable idle but the LT-40 tends to float FOREVER. Fun trainer and highly recommended.

A slow speed low altitude pass then we pour on the coals and the TT 46 powers the LT-40 back up to altitude.

We managed to land on the runway every time today and only ran off it once and wound up mowing just a little grass at the end. A drizzle started and we decided to call it a day for flying. And a great day of flying it was for Dad & son - now fully solo qualified!!!

Old 10-21-2005, 09:04 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Another LT-40 Success Story!!

PipeMajor,
[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] Great job on a fantastic build and soloing with your son. You should be proud of yourself, that's a great looking bird you built. You really have something to be proud of.

A solo flight is a great accomplishment and that wins you one genuine RCU ATTABOY (Suitable for framing, wrapping fish, or lining trashcans).

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40691.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	342134  
Old 10-21-2005, 11:16 PM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Cool!! Well put together thread too. That will probably stay with both of you as one of the best days you ever had together. Nice build as well![sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=sunsmiley.gif]

Mark
Old 10-21-2005, 11:49 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: RCKen

A solo flight is a great accomplishment and that wins you one genuine RCU ATTABOY (Suitable for framing, wrapping fish, or lining trashcans).

Ken
Hey, they are suitable for framing again! Whew! JK

Nice plane, and a nice flight!!! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Its good that you follow RC rules even when your the only one there. At the club I go to, there were 3 other guys flying and they didn't even have the freqency board out! [X(]

Keep it up!
Old 10-21-2005, 11:52 PM
wings

I had one of those.... It WAS a good plane.

Name:	Bz77964.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	342158  
Old 10-30-2005, 10:58 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Nice work and congratz!

Regarding the rubber bands - I cut back to using 10 of the Sig #67s. 12 rubber bands seemed like too much - too rigid. Didn't seem like they'd give much if the plane came in improper contact with the ground.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:14 AM
shd3920

Very beautiful LT-40. You did a gorgeous job - I wish mine comes out that good. You should be very proud of yourself. Thumbs up [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-31-2005, 03:55 PM
PipeMajor

Thank you. It was a fun build. I've been building control line models for years but sure was a joy to get a modern CAD engineered kit where the precision laser cut parts fit together perfectly. Many of the cottage industry C/L kit makers do fine quality work but those old Sterling C/L kits... [:@]

The only changes I made from the kit contents and techniques were:[ul][*] 30 min epoxy for the firewall (and added 1/2 inch triangular gussets behind the FW)[*] 30 min epoxy for the wing dihedral joiners & W1 surfaces[*] ran metal pushrods inside the fully supported nylon guide tubes
[/ul]

You'll note I didn't post any build photos cuz... I didn't take any. This kit was actually built 3 years ago before I had a digital camera. Besides, there are ample build threads here for this kit.

Our LT-40 required only some down elevator trim. Please, please, please do use a good R/C instructor pilot. I also highly recommend a flight simulation software program, preferably one which uses a 2 stick transmitter control setup. Even the taxiing took me a while to master on the sim.

Flying is really what it's all about. I guarantee you'll all LOVE the way the LT-40 flies! Every experienced pilot in our club confirmed this is THE trainer to get. The only problem was I originally bought the Futaba 6XASP (PCM with FP-R138DP receiver). All the buddy boxes are FM (PPM) and not compatible with PCM modulation. So I either get another PCM transmitter to connect both up or get the FP-R127DF FM receiver for $49. I chose the latter.

I do plan on changing the wire LG out for a dural aluminum or composite gear. Didn't use any triangular stock to reinforce the fin.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:59 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

Very nice plane, and cool photo-shoot. Makes me want to solo all over again!

I still have my original LT-40 trainer, powered with an OS 46FX which is similar in power to your TT-46 (plenty of get-up-and-go!) I must have flown a dozen or so different brands/types of trainers the last several years and the LT-40 is still my favorite. I still fly it every now and then just for a change of pace.

Some advice on the rubber bands- use 12 and throw them away after using them once! I keep a big bag of rubber bands that I bought at an office supply store for my LT-40. It may seem very stiff with all those rubber bands, but I cartwheeled my plane down the runway on a windy day shortly after soloing and the rubber bands did the job- very minimal damage.

On the other hand, a few months ago I brought the plane out to the field but forgot the rubber bands. I borrowed 10 "used" Sig rubber bands that seemed fine, but on the first hard pull to vertical the wing separated from the fuse. I cut the throttle and used the rudder and elevator to control the "guided missile" into the tall grass. I was lucky- the damage was minor, only cracked cowl cheecks and a broken engine mount. The lesson- don't scrimp on the rubber bands on a high-powered LT-40!

Again, congratulations- I hope you and your son get to enjoy your plane as long as I have!

Walt
Old 10-31-2005, 09:41 PM
Treker NCC-1701

Great job on the SIG LT-40. I would have to say that this is by far my favorite trainer of those that are out right now. I learned to fly on a Goldberg Eagle 63 in 1987 (the "Gold" standard of RC Trainers at the time), but I trained a new pilot on his LT-40 ARF a couple of years ago, and have to say the LT-40 is a much better flying ship than the Eagle 63. It is the trainer model I recommend to anyone that asks.

By the way, I noticed that you are from the Twin Cities area as well, and I was just curious what club you belong to? I didn't recognize the field from your pictures, but then again I haven't visited all the clubs in the area. I fly in the SW metro at TCRC in Jordan, and MVRC in Shakopee.

Regards,

Treker in Minnesota
Old 10-31-2005, 10:15 PM
PipeMajor

ORIGINAL: Treker NCC-1701

By the way, I noticed that you are from the Twin Cities area as well, and I was just curious what club you belong to? I didn't recognize the field from your pictures, but then again I haven't visited all the clubs in the area. I fly in the SW metro at TCRC in Jordan, and MVRC in Shakopee.

Regards,

Treker in Minnesota
St Paul Model Radio Controllers - www.spmrc.com. Field is up in Ham Lake.

Name:	Qo41215.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	346785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19998.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	346786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24641.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	346787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74401.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	346788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk67886.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	346789  
Old 11-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Great report, congratulations. I only counted 6 rubber bands, hope you use more than that once the boy starts wringing it out a little.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:56 PM
inferno6688

Well done!

I like the colour scheme!
Old 11-02-2005, 01:55 AM
SteveHouston

<<Some advice on the rubber bands- use 12 and throw them away after using them once! I keep a big bag of rubber bands that I bought at an office supply store for my LT-40. It may seem very stiff with all those rubber bands, but I cartwheeled my plane down the runway on a windy day shortly after soloing and the rubber bands did the job- very minimal damage. >>

Throw a few dozen in a ziploc bag and pour in a bit of talcum powder. It makes putting them on very smooth..

Steve
Old 11-02-2005, 03:37 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Congratulations on the solo flights! I remember how weird it felt to fly my plane by myself. I'd been using my buddy box all through flight training and it was the first time I actually controlled the plane with my radio.

Considering that RC flying fields are the only place that I know of where teenage boys enjoy hanging out with their fathers, I'm surprised that more dads aren't following your example and flying with their kids.

Thanks for posting about your experiences, and here's to hoping you two will be flying that LT-40 for a long time. One of the guys I fly with learned to fly decades ago on a Goldberg Falcon 56 he built himself as a teenager. Now his kids are training on that same plane. Who knows? Maybe you'll have a grandkid or two learning to fly on your LT40 in about 20 years!
Old 11-02-2005, 08:02 PM
fireplug1111
My Feedback: (21)

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME JOB. I could not think of a bettery way to spend the day with your son. Keep practicing and then get another plane. I went from a LT40 to an ultra stick 60. I love them both. The ultra stick 60 is a great second plane. The talcum power I never heard of but it souunds good. I put mine ( rubberbands) in a ziplock bag with some cat litter it takes the oil off them.
Here is my first plane I sold it to a buddy and he put floats on it.

Excellent job guys.

Name:	Lj23140.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	347815  
Old 11-03-2005, 12:00 AM
PipeMajor

The color scheme on your LT-40 brings back mixed emotions. Back in '69 I was an alternate for an appt to the USCG Academy in New London. They urged me to apply the following year (I was only 17) but found I had a one weak eye (20/35) which would disqualify me for an aviation career. I never reapplied and have lived to regret it ever since.

Vowed not to miss those opportunities with any family members.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:56 AM
hairy46

Thank you for sharing that! Enjoyed it and the plane looked great! Bob

Remember it is easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission!
Old 07-04-2009, 01:09 AM
Korps

Well done and congratulations! Hope you have many soft landings and happy flights. I'm particularly impressed with your mindset to follow safety protocol even when you were alone there. That's great.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:55 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Outstanding thread, outstanding safety considerations & practices. The guys are right - won't be long until you'll both be needing #2 & #3 planes.

Yeah, you guys are doing it right, for sure!! Well done.

BTW, reading some of the other posts has pretty much convinced me - I've been using too few rubber bands - - for 40 years. I only use them once though, and I've never had a failure, yet.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:26 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

The rubber band method of retaining the wing has a very practical purpose--it allows the wing to separate from the fuselage on a less than perfect landing, thus making damage much more minor. However, after getting enough time under their belts that landings that would damage the plane are very rare, some folks still enjoy flying their LT40s or Falcon 56s but do not enjoy stretching a dozen rubber bands and getting snapped across the wrist with about half of them. For this reason, to allow more advanced flyers to continue to enjoy their trainers but not being forced to stretch a dozen rubber bands, somebody came up with the idea of using velcro in place of the rubber bands. It works beautifully and takes only seconds to put on. The only draw back to the velcro method is that the wing will stay on the plane even in rough landings and damage can occur that would not occur if rubber bands were used I really like the velcro method and you can even match the color of the velcro to the color of the plane. Much better appearance than a bunch of ugly rubber bands..
Old 08-06-2014, 06:22 PM
ratshooter

Nice looking plane.

Last edited by ratshooter; 08-06-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:37 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great job with your LT-40. After 44 years of RC, it is my favorite trainer, and I have flown them all going back to Falcon 56 and Sr. Falcons.

The LT-40 as initially set-up works well as a primary trainer, but it can take you further with changes in the set-up. After you start to get bored with a loop or two and maybe a roll thrown in, you can move the CG to the rear of the recommended set-up and increase the control throws. Now spins and snap rolls will be possible. Of course even with the initial trim setup, inverted flight and even outside loops can be done with the Kadet. Just slowly work up to it. I would also drop the control mixing. You need to learn to use the rudder, and if flying inverted, you use opposite rudder with the aileron to coordinate a turn.