Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Turning on transmitter and receiver

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Turning on transmitter and receiver

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 05:10 PM
Jon B
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning on transmitter and receiver

What is the correct sequence for turning on and off your transmitter and receiver? I've heard different oppinions and someone said it didn't matter. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:13 PM
sbd-5
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Turning on transmitter and receiver

tx on first and off last,some rx would let the servos go to the extreme ends without a signal and this was the procedure to prevent that from straining the servos
Old 10-23-2005, 05:15 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

For most modern receivers and servos it doesn't matter which order you use. A long time ago, some systems would exhibit the behaviour mentioned.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:19 PM
Edge 540

At first I heard transmitter first, receiver second. Opposite when turning off. That way, the plane is ALWAYS under control of the TX. Then, I was told,..no turn the receiver on first and then TX because that will prevent it from instantly slamming the servos to neutral.
For me, I do TX then RX, but that is just me. I don't have any expensive servos anyway. Especially on an electric, where the motor could start right away and possibly injure someone while you are fumbling to turn on the transmitter, I would always turn the TX on first.
I believe this is the safest way for all aircraft, but especially electrics.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:25 PM
midwestflyer

As was mentioned, if the Tx is turned on first (and double-checked to insure that all controls are centered, and the throttle is at minimum), then there is much less chance of an errant signal causing damage or injury. The operator should always be in positive control of the aircraft, and this is the way to make sure of that.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

Tx first, then Rx... Rx off first, the Tx. Anything else is just asking for a problem, REGARDLESS of what system you use. Why take a chance!
Old 10-23-2005, 11:11 PM
Jon B

Thanks for all your replys. This was a big help.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:59 PM
Oly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll ditto their remarks. Good advice.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:12 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree, always have the transmitter "ON" anytime the receiver is on. Two good reasons, safety (no unexpected plane movements if the engine is running) and protecting your servos from damage. Even in the modern designes, it is possible for the receiver to get some unwanted signals from many sources which can inadvertently drive the servos past their normal limits and possible resulting in damage.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:22 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Rodney

I agree, always have the transmitter "ON" anytime the receiver is on. Two good reasons, safety (no unexpected plane movements if the engine is running) and protecting your servos from damage. Even in the modern designes, it is possible for the receiver to get some unwanted signals from many sources which can inadvertently drive the servos past their normal limits and possible resulting in damage.
This is an interesting post to respond to. First, one should NEVER start an engine with the transmitter and receiver off. This is just asking for trouble. Second, if the receiver is getting some unwanted signals that are strong enough for it to act on, I'd kind of like to know that BEFORE I start my engine, and certainly before my plane is in the air. This is one of the reasons I frequently turn on my Rx before the Tx. If there is some interference, or perhaps someone else on my frequency, I want to know it. Once my Tx is on, the close proximity to the receiver while starting the plane will prevent me from knowing these things. It's relatively easy to know whether one's setup is one of the rare types that will actually drive a servo to an endpoint or not.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:12 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

It depends
If you are using PPM, you want the TX on first so that no power on glitch or background signals can cause your servos to move the a position that causes binding or problems.

If you are using PCM, it doesn't matter because the RX will not cause the servos to move without a valid signal form a TX.

ORIGINAL: Jon B

What is the correct sequence for turning on and off your transmitter and receiver? I've heard different oppinions and someone said it didn't matter. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:14 PM
smokingcrater

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

For most modern receivers and servos it doesn't matter which order you use. A long time ago, some systems would exhibit the behaviour mentioned.
tell that to the servo that was destroyed, and the control surface it ripped out in the process... (with a futaba 9c and whatever model # of the current 8 channel futaba rx is)

turning on your rx first most certainly can damage things, no matter what generation rc equipment you have. I'm normally pretty good about it, but I also know that if I do it in reverse order all the servos jump a certain amount, at least for this particular plane. well, one servo was already close to its end of travel when I turned the rx on first. it somehow managed to snap past the little piece of plastic that is supposed to limit it, and managed to rip the hingepoints off my ucd elevator in the process.

it is a good habit to get into though, if you ever get into electrics turning on the rx first can be a very painful experience. electric motors, especially with a single conversion rx, can go from standing still to full torque instantly without warning if the tx isn't on. even a little speed 400 motor can cause an incredible amount of pain.

Old 10-24-2005, 10:34 PM
multiflyer

Jon B,

Always Tx on first and off last. Let the Rx have a control signal while it is on. It's just a good habit. This becomes important procedure with large aircraft with retracts. Prevent an inadvertent gear up on the ground. I've seen it too many times. Don't use the Rx as a frequency checker. If you are worried about other signals on your channel, buy a scanner or equivalent.

Multiflyer
Old 10-25-2005, 05:12 PM
Evader 53

I do TX then RX, one of my older R/C cars when i turned it on for the first time, i turned on the RX first and that car went into full throttle and was gone before I knew what happened. Ever since then, i hold my car in the air when i turn the systems on. This only seemed to happed with the older MSC's.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:33 AM
bhole74

This come straight from my Hitec Eclipse manual:
"When you are ready to fly your model, position the throttle stick to its lowest position, or do whatever nescessary to command your motor NOT to run. Then, you may turn on the transmitter power followed by the receiver power. When you have finished flying, begin by turning off the receiver power, then turn off the transmitter power. If you do not follow these procedures, you may damage your servos or control surfaces, flood your motor, or in the case of electric-powered models, the motor may turn on and cause a severe injury."

Pretty well sums it up.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Commander_Drake

I always turn on the TX first except for my Futaba 8U PCM system. With that one, the fail safe information won't get programmed into the receiver unless I turn on the receiver first. Apparently the fail safe info is only sent from the TX once when you turn it on.

I'm not sure if this is true of other PCM systems or not.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:27 AM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

Keep things simple. TX on first and off last.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:16 PM
smokingcrater

Apparently the fail safe info is only sent from the TX once when you turn it on.

it is somewhere in my 9c manual, but I believe it is every minute or two that the failsafe info gets retransmitted.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Jon B

Thanks for all your input. This has been very helpful.

Jon B.