Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

madien flight help

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

madien flight help

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 02:05 PM
knightmagic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default madien flight help

I have a tiger too I have been flying and now have a big stick 60 size from great planes but have never madien my own plane. Last weekend I flew on buddy cord just to see how it flew and get it trimed out but have not taken off or landed with it due to other things. Now I think I'd like to try it on my own to trim it out since I tweaked control surfaces a bit to get them closer to nutreal. What sould I be aware of on takeoff and after trimming how should I approach the landing or should I try with buddy cord one more time although I don't know when intrsuctor would be free?
Old 11-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: madien flight help

The fact that you're asking these questions tells me you're not ready to maiden an airplane on your own. Don't take a chance now on losing your plane. Make an appointment with an instructor to be at the field when you are and use the buddy cord until the instructor feels you're ready to solo. Be patient. It will pay off in the long run.

Dr.1
Old 11-13-2005, 02:52 PM
YNOT

Dude, it's an airplane. If you are ok flying another plane and familar with what it does and how it flys, you will not have any issues with a stick.

Go fly your airplane.

You should start a poll on this one if you should go for it or get help. I'm will guess get help wins. I will stay with go fly it.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Dr1Driver

Despite his level of experience, if he is AT ALL uncomfortable with flying an unknown plane, the pilot should get help from a more experienced pilot.

Dr.1
Old 11-13-2005, 03:13 PM
knightmagic

really thought the stick was easier on handling than my tiger 2 only issue I have is taking off with a plane thats not totally trimed what I'd like to kmow is what I should be aware of in taking off to get plane to safe height to trim I feel I could land with no problem after that by low passes and observing the glide line
Old 11-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

If the plane has already flown, there's no reason for it to be uncontrollably out of trim. You're the only one who know if you're ready or not. If you have doubts about you abilities, then I would suggest getting help. If you do try it on your own, I do have some advice. Don't take your eyes off the plane. If you need to look at your radio to find the trim tabs, raise the radio up to eye level. That way you can see your radio and plane at the same time. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:35 PM
knightmagic

have computer radio so it should'nt be too hard to find trim buttons without looking away from plane
plane was trimmed but was slightly off so tried centering control surfaces closer to nuetral
Old 11-13-2005, 03:48 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Knightmagic,
Ultimately you're going to have to make the decision if you want to do the trim flight yourself or not. Even if you have the skills to do a trim flight it will still come down to if you are mentally ready to do the trim flight. If you are too afraid of doing it then it's going to be hard to trim it out no matter what. But let me make this suggestion. You do the trim flight, but have someone walk out with you. This will accomplish two things. First, he can help you by making any trim adjustments for you so you won't have to take your fingers off of the sticks to find the trim tab. And second, if you get into trouble he can help by taking the radio.

Whenever I make a trim flight on a plane I always have a buddy walk out with me. To help adjust the trims in case they are way out of adjustments, and also for moral support. No matter how many years you have been flying and how many planes you have trimmed, you still get nervous when you go out there there to do it.

Have a buddy walk out with you. You should do fine.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 11-13-2005, 08:06 PM
the_madgenius

RCKen, I wish i had this computer when I was learning to fly. I love your pitside manner , it is comparable to a doctors bed side manner . You always instill confidence and precise knowledge to all modellers. You are to be congratulated on your expertise of all things pertaining to model aircraft.
ps:- I am having a problem with my computer so could you drop by this afternoon for a couple of minutes to have a look at it . I am in Australia, the land downunder.--------------------------------------------just joking.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:16 PM
2slow2matter

The stick is a very forgiving airframe. If you are going to do a first maiden, I couldnt' think of a better plane to do it with. High wing, nose gear, very stable airplane! When I maiden an airplane, I always do the following:
1) Make sure all surfaces are set to neutral--using a straight edge, and the appropriate technique depending upon airfoil
2) do a thorough range check, including one with the engine running--a good range check requires a buddy.
3) Secure the airspace to yourself--most people will have no problem with this for a maiden flight. In fact, most people want to watch a maiden flight, and so will land just to watch you!
3) Always stand behind the plane on the runway--you never know which way the plane is going to go. For instance, most planes pull left on throttle, but I just maidened an ultrastick about a month ago that pulled right when I went to full throttle. Standing directly behind the plane allows you to better stay ahead of the plane, and correct for which direction it is wanting to go.
4) Let the plane gain speed on the ground, and don't force it up. When it's ready to fly, apply some elevator, but be ready to correct for roll with the ailerons. also, once off the ground, don't just let go of the rudder. whatever rudder input was needed to keep it going straight, I like to keep that input until the plane is well off the ground. This also helps to null out any adverse torque roll until the wings have plenty of lift and have stabilized the plane.
5) Don't turn until you have gained about 400-500 feet in altitude. Then, make your turn, and take the throtle back to half or so, and trim the plane for level flight. You might want a buddy to help you do this--have him stand next to you and you tell him "a click of down, a click of right aileron," and etc. so that you don't have to take your eyes off of the plane. Once you get used to this, you can do it without looking. The first time, however, is challenging enough as it is--have some help standing by.
6) Once trimnmed for level hands off flight, then do your stall test--up high. Pull the throttle back, and feed in elevator to maintain altitude, until you are at full elevator, and eventually the wing stalls. Note what happens--nose first, left wing first, right wing first--this will tell you what to expect when landing. With the stick, it should just stall nose over--very predictably.
7) Line up for a landing--take a half throttle pass over the runway to get a feel for lining it up. Slow, but at flying speed, and about 50 to 100 feet in altitude. once you are comfortable, then go around, and land the thing. I like to get it back on the ground ASAP. You definetely don't want to run out of fuel on your first flight. You don't want the first landing to be deadstick.

I'm sure I might have missed something, and others may add to it, as I don't have an official checklist. These are just the things that come off the top of my head as steps I take when maidening an airplane! Lots of fun, and very rewarding. However, know that it might not go well. I had a Texan that crashed after gaining about 10 feet in altitude--the wing stalled, and it hit the ground. Very disheartening, but it happens.

Most important--make sure the plane is airworth before the test flight (i.e. all surfaces glued, all screws tight, all clevices locked, etc.)

Good luck.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:03 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

the_madgenius,
Thanks for the compliment. I'm just trying to help out here. I still have a lot to learn myself. But thanks again.

It's funny you say you have computer problems. I'm a Network/Systems Administrator in the real world!! [X(] What kind of problems are you having??

Ken
Old 11-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A stick is nothing more than a high performance trainer. if your fine with the Tiger 2, the stick should not be and issue. The issue is you get the jitters on a new plane. I get jitters ona new plane. I sometimes get them on planes I have had for a long time but have not flown in a long time and they go away after a couple laps.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Mode One

If the airplane has had a maiden trim flight and needed mechanical trimming (as knightmagic has stated) , your not going to be re-setting the control surfaces to neutral, you have already moved the control surfaces to the new trim settings. Telling him to set them again is a step backwards.

I'm confused about how much experiance knightmagic has and the truth is; only he, or pilots helping him, will know. Maiden flights are exciting and one of the greatest joys of this hobby! I think it a good idea to have a good pilot stand next to you for the flight you are attempting, if you have some doubt about your abilities. Crashing a new plane because you were not ready to attempt what you are thinking, is not necessary and should be avoided if possible!
Old 11-14-2005, 01:31 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To maiden, or not to maiden. That is the question.

The answer is simple: Once you are comfortable enough in your skills that you are willing to bet your airplane that you won't crash, go for it.