Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

2nd Newbie Build- GP Super Skybolt

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

2nd Newbie Build- GP Super Skybolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Kirt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2nd Newbie Build- GP Super Skybolt

Well after spending many hours reading thru all of the skybolt posts I have been inspired and starting working on my kit some more. It has been in work so about a year and I have done more in the last two days then I have in 6 months.

I have one issue that I can not get past and I am about to the stage of needing to order parts.
I am going to put a large two stroke in this plane, I was going to put a magnum .91 in it (I already mounted the motor mount for it but it will more than likely be a Evolution 1.00, I have a .46 in a kit built Bridi Kaos and I like the look and I like the price.

The question that I have is
I want to put a Pitt’s style muffler in it but I want it to fit inside the cowl. After reading about MODs... cowl issues I don't want to get that creative. I already have the fiberglass cowl and really did not want to cut it up.

Are there are two stroke skybolt flyers whose muffler fits in the cowl?
Is it the Slimline? Because the Bison that MODS used did not fit like I thought it would and I was just about to order that one

Those that have on that fit, did you mount the motor inverted or is it on its side?

Thanks for the input.
I am also going to post this is the kit building section
Old 02-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Mods-R-Me
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Kirt

Well after spending many hours reading thru all of the skybolt posts I have been inspired and starting working on my kit some more. It has been in work so about a year and I have done more in the last two days then I have in 6 months.

I have one issue that I can not get past and I am about to the stage of needing to order parts.
I am going to put a large two stroke in this plane, I was going to put a magnum .91 in it (I already mounted the motor mount for it but it will more than likely be a Evolution 1.00, I have a .46 in a kit built Bridi Kaos and I like the look and I like the price.

The question that I have is
I want to put a Pitt’s style muffler in it but I want it to fit inside the cowl. After reading about MODs... cowl issues I don't want to get that creative. I already have the fiberglass cowl and really did not want to cut it up.

Are there are two stroke skybolt flyers whose muffler fits in the cowl?
Is it the Slimline? Because the Bison that MODS used did not fit like I thought it would and I was just about to order that one

Those that have on that fit, did you mount the motor inverted or is it on its side?

Thanks for the input.
I am also going to post this is the kit building section
Hey Kirt, welcome to RCU!

You're right about having space issues with a Bisson type muffler. The thinnest Slimline may fit but it would be close. Might want to try [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXR599&P=0]Muffler A[/link] or [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKHU8&P=0]Muffler B[/link] from Towerhobbies. I looked through my manual and noticed the author used the same type for installing a 2 stroke. I don't see an exhaust nipple on either of these so I'm not sure how to get the back pressure back to the fuel tank [sm=confused.gif].

Can't wait to see pictures.............

ORIGINAL: bldrums

everyone has gone ...............................but guys,,,,,Im still here.....help HELLLP ,,, dont leave me now Im almost finished!!! ............guys?,,,,,,,,,hello................... .
Still watching. Keep building. Spring is around the corner.....

Mods
Old 02-18-2007, 10:56 AM
WYDAH

Hi Kirt,

I have a GMS .76 in my Skybolt. I mounted it on it's side and used a J'Tec JT-W120P pitts muffler. This muffler is rather BIG I think, when compared to the Bisson or Slimline pitts styles. Even though I did have to cut away a lot of the underside of the cowl, I think it still looks good in there. I've included some pics below.
Hope this helps. Good luck with the remainder of your build.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52066.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	624114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49719.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	624115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23796.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	624116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16679.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	394.9 KB
ID:	624117  
Old 02-18-2007, 11:03 AM
parrthd

hey guys, sorry i've been away so long. been building a new computer you guys know how it is with a new toy.....LOL

i would also have to say some type of "in-cowl" muffler would be in order. however i don't recall seeing one for a 1.00 size 2s class engine.

somethine else to consider might be a 90 degree adapter, using this you might be able to rotate the muffler to fit behind the engine. this might force you to invert the engine from what you've got now, but it would give more distance between the muffler and the cowl. you might be albe to get away with nothing more than 2 small holes for the exhaust tips.

i haven't experimented with this just something from the top of my head, and something else to consider. keep us informed of how it turns out - whatever you decide to do.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:30 PM
bldrums

Im looking for a recommendation for a remote glow ignitor. This will be for a Saito 1.25 inverted on my SB

Thanks!

BL

....................................>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>gearUP!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PS: I did try a search but no luck
Old 02-22-2007, 08:59 AM
donny_indonesia

is there anyone know? which trainer is it???
i just bought it(second hand)

i don't know the type or brand for this trainer...

thnxthnx

please send me at [email protected]/yahoo.com

thnks...

Name:	Mk27397.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	627147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54411.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	627148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99141.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	627149  
Old 02-22-2007, 07:17 PM
WYDAH

Hi,

Tower Hobbies sells a couple different kinds. One is made by Dubro [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD694&P=7]HERE[/link] which I have used before and it works well. The remote head part has a sliding cover which keeps dirt and stuff from getting all over the plug which is nice. The cover/holder is a bit large however, but still makes for a clean looking installation.
The other one I have, but have not used is [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBC35&P=ML]THIS ONE[/link] made by Model Products. It has a basic angle bracket that holds the remote plug and you can mount it to the firewall or such. Then you would drill an access hole through the cowl to get your ignitor on it.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:06 PM
bldrums

I shot the cowl with several coats of Lustercote Missle Red but the finish is not as glossy as the Monocote. Is there a clear glossy finish compatable with the Lustercote paint. Hopefully something I can pick up at a local hdware dept.

thanks,Bill
.....................................gearUP>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 02-27-2007, 08:12 AM
bldrums

Another question to the Skybolt builders. ( Seems I will never get enough time in to finish this thing)
Anyway, I installed the elevator control rod system per plans. I never thought this "Y" type was great but since the plans called it , I went with it. I am not happy with the amount of drag this configuration is putting on the servo. The "Y" does just what I expected it might do, since it cannot follow a straight path at the exit slot. It tends to open and close like sissors causing a bind. Did you guys have any luck with this set up? My past experience has been using 2 servos with a "spitter" for the elevator halves but, being tail heavy I went with the plans. Of course , now , to make the change , Im probably adding another month to my building process. Any short cut out of this one would be appreciated.

Thanks guys
Bill.....................................>>>>>>>>> gearUP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>weeeeeeeeee

BL
Old 02-27-2007, 09:51 AM
ChrisMH

ORIGINAL: bldrums

Another question to the Skybolt builders. ( Seems I will never get enough time in to finish this thing)
Anyway, I installed the elevator control rod system per plans. I never thought this "Y" type was great but since the plans called it , I went with it. I am not happy with the amount of drag this configuration is putting on the servo. The "Y" does just what I expected it might do, since it cannot follow a straight path at the exit slot. It tends to open and close like sissors causing a bind. Did you guys have any luck with this set up? My past experience has been using 2 servos with a "spitter" for the elevator halves but, being tail heavy I went with the plans. Of course , now , to make the change , Im probably adding another month to my building process. Any short cut out of this one would be appreciated.

Thanks guys
Bill.....................................>>>>>>>>> gearUP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>weeeeeeeeee

BL
Yeah, I didn't like that at all, which is why I went with a single control rod and a joiner at the elevator.

The only "short cut" I can think of is to use a stronger servo. Then the load won't matter as much.

Chris

Old 02-27-2007, 07:19 PM
bert269
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question to all the experts of the SB.

These are pictures of my wing saddle as it fit onto the bottom wing. Do I need to extent or do anything about the saddle on the fuse to either strengthen, widen or minimize the impact it may have on the wing, by either widen it where it meets the wing with epoxy and/or a piece of 1/64th ply - or is this ok?

Name:	Pn35953.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	631129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47118.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	631130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33880.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	631131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib83113.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	631132  
Old 02-28-2007, 10:22 AM
ChrisMH

ORIGINAL: bert269

Question to all the experts of the SB.

These are pictures of my wing saddle as it fit onto the bottom wing. Do I need to extent or do anything about the saddle on the fuse to either strengthen, widen or minimize the impact it may have on the wing, by either widen it where it meets the wing with epoxy and/or a piece of 1/64th ply - or is this ok?
You don't have to do anything if you don't want to. It will be strong enough as-is.

But...

I use epoxy & Microballoons to make a perfect fit of the wing to the fuse. This has the added benefit of enlarging the wing saddle to spread out the load a bit more.

Iron some covering onto the wing where it will meet the fuselage (monokote, ultracote, whatever). Mix up some epoxy and Microballoons...heavy on the microballoons. Spread a thick layer onto the wing saddle. Bolt the wing on. After drying, pop the wing off and sand down the squeeze out on the outside of the fuse.

Chris

Old 03-02-2007, 10:37 PM
bldrums

Still have a few things to do yet but Im almost done. ( my "few things" always seem to go long ) Anyway , theres my progress report.

Yeah, I didnt like the kit cowl ( I didnt get a good fit between the sections ) and the MonoCote paint wasnt a close match, but if the plane flys, Ill order a fiberglass cowl.

Name:	Bz77506.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	633376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez35457.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	633377  
Old 03-03-2007, 01:31 PM
bert269
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI SkyBolters...

I need some more advise, please. Now for you that have finished building the Skybolt or anyone that might have experience with this, please help.
1) I need to make the canopy removable for easy access to the cockpit. This needs to be done quick and easy at the field. I do not want to remove screws each time I need to do that....The reason for this is, my Skybolt is going to be electric and I need to secure my battery packs from inside the cockpit as well.
What can I use for this that will give me quick and easy access? I have seen and used "quater turn fastners", but the smallest that I can get, are still too big to extend from the canopy : http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=19008183

2) Has anyone seen the "knurlned nuts" used in the Skybolt ARF to attach the struts to the wings? Where can I find these and/or directions to install them. I just cannot seemed to make the wired-method to work smoothly without damaging the wings every time I try them on. I think the nuts are a much faster and cleaner way to install the struts. Any ideas?

Thanks
Bert
Old 03-05-2007, 01:10 AM
parrthd

i'm sure several will chime in on the knurled nuts for the struts. i'll give my $0.02 worth on the wire struts. they worked flawlessly for me. rounded the ends of the wire nice and smooth and made sure i had ample space in the "sandwich" rib for them to slide. only problem i've got now is remembering to bring my wing bolts!!! LOL

check post #549 on page 22 of this thread ..... might give you another idea.

one problem i did run into was the wire was crushing the balsa sheeting everytime i inserted the struts....went back and found i had forgotten to "harden" the area with thin ca
Old 03-11-2007, 06:34 PM
jbalash
My Feedback: (1)

Hello all, can anyone using an OS 120 Surpass tell me what the best prop that they have found for this plane?

Thanks, Jim
Old 03-26-2007, 08:52 PM
bldrums

Hey guys,
I have searched the thread trying to find what CG measurment seems to work on the SB. At this point , mine is a bit tail heavy with the CG at the recommended 2 3/4 " ( from the le of top wing at t7) I balance out at about 3" back right now.

thanks
bill..............................>>>>>>gearU)P>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>weeee
Old 04-01-2007, 06:55 AM
parrthd

at the reccomended cg and inverter the plane will nose down meaning that a bit more tail weight will re reqauired ( or it was for mine) just try the cg as per the plans (it'll fly with no worries) and adjust from there.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:52 PM
bldrums

Anyone dial in aileron differential?
Old 06-09-2007, 09:07 PM
bldrums

One more satisfied flyer I started building my SB kit in August of 04. Today , I went out and maidened the aircraft. I got tired of waiting for the optimum weather ( no wind, clear ,sunny) and dropped my standards for the " perfect maiden day"..... and went for it today. Little cross wind, mugggy and humid with overcast skys. Ok, good enough, lets get it done.
With a Saito 1.25 APC 16x6 she tracked down the runway and slid effortlessly into a climb , flew like it was on rails and make several of the sweetest scale like landings you could ask for. She looked and sounded awesume up there. I flew 3 times , packed up ,went home so relieved to: # 1 : have this project completed . And # 2 : to take a completely great flying, uncrashed airplane back home with me.

Ill never be able to squeeze out nearly enough time to bulid another kit , especially one like this, but Im really proud to have this one in the air!!

Thanks to all you guys for your help and support... I wanted to quit lots of times but of course , that just doesnt happen in this hobby does it! But now I can put this one aside, done! FINISHED!.....but... emmmmm....some smoke would be nice now. wouldnt it................hehe

Good Flyin Weather to you All
BLdrums
Old 06-09-2007, 11:21 PM
WYDAH

Congrats on the successful maiden! There's something to be said about building this bird from the pile of sticks and ply and then seeing it take flight for the first time...

Old 06-10-2007, 11:23 AM
bldrums

Thanks WYDAH, you are right about that! And it looks like we're gonna be blessed with another beautiful flying day again today!! Hope you have the same.

...............>>>>>>>gearUP>>>>>>>>[8D]
Old 06-11-2007, 07:12 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: WYDAH

There's something to be said about building this bird from the pile of sticks and ply and then seeing it take flight for the first time...

There's something said for bringing it home in one piece too!

Congrats!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:38 PM
bldrums

Hey Minn!

Yeah, two days flying and alls well................. Im thinking about retireing the plane now !!! naaa, gonna fly it like I stole it!

Oh and by the way, ( youve experienced this ) I received some very nice comments and compliments on the SB from fellow club members, and these were guys that know their stuff. I puffed up like a cheap umbrella
Old 06-17-2007, 06:17 PM
biplanemurphy

Hi club Skybolt........wish I had a computer while I was building mine. Took a year to build. So here it is..about 14 flights so far.
It flies great. O.S. 120 surpassIII w/pump. 14x10 prop. Smoke. 5" wheels (No wheel leiderhosen). weghs about 11 lbs.
14 oz. fuel tank. 8 oz. smoke tank. Smokes like crazy!!! 2-6v 1650 batts for radio and smoke pump.
No hatches[]. Covered in monocote. Cowl and struts painted with primer/lustercote/ finishing epoxy over top to fuelproof paint.
Favorite plane of my eight that can fly. woops meant seven, one is stuck over 100 feet up in a cyprus tree at the neighbors!!

Murphy

P.S. This was the first kit I ever started, But finished it third. After starting and finishing a pitts and a tiger moth.

Name:	Vt57196.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	705857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90796.jpg
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	705858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47634.jpg
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	705859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83504.jpg
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	705860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw20376.jpg
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	705861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Md51496.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	705862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oq22661.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	705863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hg20743.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	705864  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49491.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	705865  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.