Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

radio gold stickering ?? where please advise

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

radio gold stickering ?? where please advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 11:26 PM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default radio gold stickering ?? where please advise

hello, i have a quick question about my skysport4 buddy box which is a working radio just needs a crystal,antenna and battery, which i already have. so my question is where do i get this radio gold stickered at ? or is it even possible ?any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance .
Old 11-09-2002, 01:35 AM
Crashem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gold stickers,

This goes back a long way for me....

In the US when radios went from wide band to narrow band you could have your radio re-tuned/tested and if it met the new narrow band requirements it was returned to you with a gold sticker which signified that your radio meet the new standards. Outside the US I have no clue. As far as how to get a gold sticker today the first place to try is the manufacter..
Old 11-09-2002, 02:12 AM
ctdahle

If there is any indication of the channel the radio was tuned to, then you may have a clue. If the radio was on an even numbered channel then it may have been a wide band radio and subject to the gold sticker rule. If it was on an odd numbered channel, then it could not, legally, have been sold unless it was narrow band and complied with the gold sticker requirements.

Odd numbered channel radios were not sold new until after the rules were changed to prohibit the sale of new wide band radios.

If it is not presently gold stickered and not new enough that you are sure it doesn't need a gold sticker, you would be wasting your money to have an entry level 4 channel TX gold stickered, even if it was technically possible.

A brand new SkySport 4 radio with batteries, reciever, servos, charger and switch harness will run you 150 bucks on the street.

To buy JUST a flight pack to use with your old unit is 119 on the street, plus 18 bucks for a crystal, leaving you with an old and possibly unreliable TX.

Cost to Gold Sticker it is probably in excess of $100 if you add shipping each way, so you can see that it is a money loser. Narrow band or not, if you do decide to put it back into service, you really must send it in to a service center and have the RF section aligned to whatever crystal you put in it.

Best bet is to keep using the tx as a buddy box and buy a new SkySport on sale if you must have a four channel radio.
Old 11-09-2002, 03:36 AM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

If the Skysport is FM it is already narrowband and does not need a gold sticker.

However replacing the crystal does require the radio be sent for tuning, unless it is the original crystal that came with the TX.

Check this link for the Futaba flat rate prices for radio work.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...76&forumid=150

Looks like it will cost you $28 bucks for tuning plus the cost to ship it in.

Would you consider a brand new radio for $40?

Look here:

http://www.brucknerhobbies.com/Aircraft%20Radios.htm]
Old 11-09-2002, 06:37 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Like Jim says the Skysport came long after the 1991 dead line banning the sale of new wideband Tx's so the gold sticker is a non issue and if you reinstall a crystal of the same frequency as original there is no need to do anything.

John