Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need some advice on radio manufacturers

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need some advice on radio manufacturers

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 06:18 PM
Valkyrie_1520

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on radio manufacturers

I have been out of the hobby for a few of years and am just starting to get back in. I have in the past flown only JR equipment. I have had a JR X347 since they were new. I then owned one of the older PCM10's for a while. From my recent trips to the flying fields, I see the vast majority of flyers are now flying Futaba. I will be strictly sport flying as the whole competition thing never appealed to me. I would like to purchase a JR PCM 10X or the Futaba 9Z series for their functionality and ease of use. Does anyone have first hand experience with either of these and which would you prefer? Which is the better value? Most versitile?
Thanks.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:26 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Need some advice on radio manufacturers

The question of whether JR or Futaba is better is a holy war that will never end. Pick the one that's got the features and feel that you like.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:48 PM
YNOT

I fly a Futaba 9ZWCII, however if I were to buy a new radio today, I would buy the new JR 9. Amazing. No need to go to the Futaba 9Z or 14WC or the 10 SXII, unless you just want the cool factor. Yea, I said it.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:20 PM
Valkyrie_1520

Thanks guys. I'll check out the JR XP9303.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:37 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

As far as Futaba, I only have them. As for the 9Z, unless you plan on going whole hog, stick with a 7C or 9C. The 7C has most of what anyone would need, while the 9C gives you the changable frequency modules. If I remember right, both have FM/PCM capability, so you don't have to buy PCM receivers if you don't want/need to. Both have multi-model memory, though the 9C has the CAMPAC system, letting you have many more than the 16 or so by just changing CAMPAC cards. Just my .02
Old 11-28-2005, 12:32 AM
Rebellion
My Feedback: (2)

Since most of the guys in your area are flying Futuba, you might want to take that into consideration. If you do decide to go JR, I'll have to go along with the 9303. Had one about a year now and it's a great radio.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:53 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Since you have past experience with JR equipment, why not stick with it?
The JR programming philosophy is different that Futaba.....JR is very intuative, and user friendly, since you already understand the PCM 10. You shouldn't have any difficulty getting used to the added features and capabilities of the 10X.
Since the PCM 10 came out, little has changed with the programming logic. The 10X is a great radio, and won't let you down.
Granted, the price of admission is higher than the cost of most of the radios you might see at the local flying field, but if this isn't a consideration, why no go for it? It has loads of capability, and after your flying experience grows, you will have already made the investment. No need to upgrade.

As far as the differences between the 10X and the 9Z, I don't have any 9Z experience to speak from. I've been using nothing but the PCM-10 series radios since they were introduced. The 10X has one more channel than the 9Z, and that is of value to me. I fly my BVM KingCat with all 10 channels. The Super Bandit uses 9, and my new F-18 will probably need 9 as well. I know that I would not trust an expensive jet to a lesser radio. I am not in any way trying to give the indication that I think that the 9Z, or any other Futaba radio is a lesser radio. I don't want to start the old Ford vs. Chevy debate. Like the used car salesman said: "There is an ***** for every seat"!

Same thing with radios.

Good luck....Hope this info helps.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP
Old 11-28-2005, 07:19 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are considering Futaba the 9C is the best buy. The 9Z is a nice radio but functionally it doesnt really give you anything more than the 9C except conditions, which 99% of people dont need. I know guys that play with it just because they have it but they admittedly could easily do without it.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:27 PM
stanairman
My Feedback: (93)

hello was wondering if you could help a old man under stand something i have been flying for about 3 years and i generallyy use a futaba radios until i started losing them to lets say glitchs i tried hitec didnt like them very well then i tried jr really liked them and i have several 400s 422s a 662 and now i found a new older pcm model 8 channel im confused about what reciever to use i have a new pcm 10 ner 910xz but it wont work with my radio what reciever should i be using my radio is says 8channelnew digital512 abc&w system max computer any help please let me know or where i need to go get the answers i need thanks stanairman also the pcm crystal arent they red in color???????
Old 12-12-2005, 08:42 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Stanairman, If you have questions about Jr just go straight to the "horse". Go to the JR or Horizon web sight and e-mail them or call them on the phone. The few questions I had they answered promptly and straight up.
I've always flown Airtronics and the RD series is the easiest to program of any Hitec,Futaba, or Jr that I have looked at. I just bought a new JR 9303 and it is ok as far as programing ease but they are now available with the synthesized module so if you favor JR take a look at that model. The JR dual and single conversion rx crystals are different colors.
Fred
Old 12-16-2005, 10:37 AM
Phoenix57

HI! I've used them both and the only one I use now is the Futaba 9C Super. Great radio with plenty of functions and is PPM PCM
Old 12-18-2005, 04:23 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Valkyrie_1520

I have been out of the hobby for a few of years and am just starting to get back in. I have in the past flown only JR equipment. I have had a JR X347 since they were new. I then owned one of the older PCM10's for a while. From my recent trips to the flying fields, I see the vast majority of flyers are now flying Futaba. I will be strictly sport flying as the whole competition thing never appealed to me. I would like to purchase a JR PCM 10X or the Futaba 9Z series for their functionality and ease of use. Does anyone have first hand experience with either of these and which would you prefer? Which is the better value? Most versitile?
Thanks.
I have never used either but at thoseprices they are fine radios, I am sure.

9Z - $850
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUY15&P=ML

HR PCM 10X - $1200
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...odID=JRP1646**

Way out of my league. I fly a Futaba 9C - About 400
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9C&FVPROFIL=++
Old 12-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can still use your X347, I do, works great. Put new batteries in it and your good to go.