Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Flight today

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Flight today

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 06:46 PM
tfarmer96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Flight today

Today I went out to the field with my pts hoping to get someone to buddy box me. Well today is Monday which is usually the retired guys at the field. A couple of them have seemed to take a shine to me so they offered to get me flying, but they wouldn’t use my plane they had a normal trainer that they keep. So I told em flying is flying in my book and im the grasshopper. So he gets it up in the air and hands it over to me I fly it around while he is telling me this and that and when about 10 minutes is up he ask for control and lands it. He gets it on the ground and basically says "good job kid I didn’t have to take it from you one time". (Thanks to G3 for the last 2 months) Any way the wind was gusting up 25 mph which made me a little nervous, but they thought it was ok. We fueled up and take the trainer up again on my second pass I start to turn and she’s handling funny then as I get in to the turn the right aileron let’s go and comes off. He took over and got her on the ground. We got up to the plane the aileron was gone along with the covering on the bottom of the wing. I couldn’t believe he got her on the ground. Any way they tell me the CA hinges on that side let go. I apologized for tearing up the plane and I was told it wasn’t me but still I don’t like damaging some else stuff. These guys aren’t "trainers" but they are willing to help me learn to fly and I saw today that 40 years of R/C planes makes a difference between crashing a wounded bird and landing one. I haven’t received my official club instructor yet so I figure these guys will be great to learn from till one is assigned officially to me.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:06 PM
SLOWFLY58

Default RE: First Flight today

Hi tfarmer96
Sounds like a very good first flight to me !!!!
Main thing is it sounds like you stayed calm when the unexpected happened and did not start over correcting by yanking on the sticks and possibly destroying the plane. I know several pilots in our club with some flying experience that probably would have crashed the plane before they could have got someone to save it for them. Good job !!! [sm=thumbup.gif] Keep it up and you will solo soon.

Dale
Old 12-26-2005, 09:39 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

There's a lesson you won't get on the sim. They are great for the basics and advanced stuff but there is a whole lot in between that you gain from experiance.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Fastsky

Now you know why some flyers will pin their hinges to try and prevent them from pulling out out. I use round tooth picks for that.[8D]
Old 12-28-2005, 10:21 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Now you know why some flyers are so adamant about installing hinges PROPERLY!
Old 12-28-2005, 11:59 AM
tfarmer96

I have decided to get a Sig Kadet LT-40 RC Trainer thats the plane that he was flying me on when thing went south. I thought i could double up on my flight instruction this way. Mondays with the retired group at the field and Saturdays with the normal instructor. I think i will rob the evolution .46 and the receiver out of my spare mustang and buy new servos should be good to go with that setup.