Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

how much harder would it be

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

how much harder would it be

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 07:28 AM
knightmagic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much harder would it be

recently crashed my big stick look at before and after pic made front of fuse with coroplast and and making it a tail dragger now how much harder will takeoffs and landing be never flew dragger before
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83994.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	377845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34220.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	377846  
Old 12-30-2005, 07:34 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: how much harder would it be

Landing isn't much different. Takeoff is a bit more challenging since it requires that you do a few more things. If you were comfortable taking it off as a trike, the taildragger should present an interesting, but manageable challenge.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:10 AM
bbbair

The biggest difference is the takeoff, with a tri most just go to full power and zoom down the runway.

With a Taildragger you have to apply the throttle slowly and build up you speed. Why? Thr torque from the engine will induce a ground loop, you have to have a decent speed built up before the rudder can hold the plane in place and taxi strait. Landings are easy with a dragger.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:42 PM
cbr954rr

I would taxi the 1st tank out and get used to how it feels. Once your comfortable with it on the ground you should be ok.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:52 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

knightmagic,
I don't know if you have a thread about the rebuild, but make sure the CG is on. After every rebuild, the plane will weigh different, espeacially when changing materials entirely.

Hope it helps
Chad
Old 12-31-2005, 06:23 AM
knightmagic

definately will be checking cg before takeoff was kinda wondring though normal big stick cg is 4" it should stay roughly about the same I'm guessing?
Old 12-31-2005, 06:42 AM
CafeenMan

CG doesn't change unless you change the size or location of a flying surface.

I think you're making a good decision to convert to tail-dragger. They weigh less, are easier to build (and maintain) and have less drag.

Good advice about throttling up slowly and also about taxiing around a bit to feel it out. Be sure to put an air-filter over the carb so you don't suck a lot of dirt into the engine. A piece of ladies hose rubber banded on will work.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:05 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: CafeenMan

CG doesn't change unless you change the size or location of a flying surface.

You may want to rethink that statement !!!! If I change the material I use to rebuild and it is heavier then the original it IS going to change the CG. That would be like adding or subtracting weight from some where. Besides, anytime you work on a plane it is a good idea to check the CG.
ENJOY !!! RED

If I rebuild the tail with OAK instead of balsa, it's sure going to be one heck of a take off !!!!
Old 12-31-2005, 08:52 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

What CaffeenMan is saying is that the location of the CG doesn't change. You may need to rebalance, but the point you use to do so remains the same.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:18 AM
xoon
My Feedback: (3)

and um... it mite help if u hold down elevator to keep the tailwheel in contact w/ the ground. this especially help on windy days. gluck
Old 01-01-2006, 03:14 AM
2slow2matter

That would be up elevator--to keep the tail pinned while taxiing (some use down elevator when taxiing away with the wind--to keep wind from getting underneath the horizontal stab). I don't do this, I just use the neutral elevator position when taxiing with the wind. Release this elevator, though, prior to the takeoff roll. With some tail draggers (especially some warbirds), a touch of up elevator is needed during the takeoff roll to keep the nose from powerdiving, but this won't be an issue on your stick, if you located the mains far enough forward. A good idea is to put the axles even with the leading edge of the wing, and your nose overs should be minimal, or non existent!
Old 01-01-2006, 03:48 AM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

I don't do this, I just use the neutral elevator position when taxiing with the wind.
I don't hold up elevator unless I turn. But I'd agree that a tail dragger is easier to land than a trike. Touch the mains, then touch the tail on the ground. I actually land taildraggers better than I land trikes. Have fun and happy new year!