Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

self teaching

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

self teaching

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 08:33 PM
andrew66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default self teaching

hi,
i just bought and almost completed a sig kadet seniorita and was wondering if anyone had any tips for learning to fly solo. i just finished calling around the area and unfortunately discovered that im the only one in my area that is into model airpalnes. (there maybe some, but no one knows who they are or how to get in contact with them. i was thinking of using my jr quatro radio to learn on a simulator, but don't know if it will "hook up" to my computer.... i really need help because im planning on trying this model out near the end of the month, if not sometime in feb. if i have time/skill/confidence. if anyone can give me some input it would be greatly appreciated.
thx
Old 01-12-2006, 08:46 PM
David Cutler

Default RE: self teaching

It's a very difficult thing indeed to fly successfully for the first time if you have not had any lessons or used a good simulator.

However, if you really have to, you have, at least, chosen a model that won't be too demanding and will be very forgiving.

One thing you really must know and practice as much as possible is to automatically know which way to move the ailerons when the plane is coming towards you. A good rule is to 'move the stick towards the dropped wing'.

That is, if you see the right wing drop (that is, the wing that looks like it's on the right in relation to you) when it's coming towards you, you must move the stick to the right to 'prop up' the drooped wing.

Having said that, you really must try to get help for the first flight. Even the best pilots today simply did not have the 'finger memory' to react quickly when it became necessary.

Getting a helper who can fly will almost certainly be the difference between a first flight that lasts a few minutes or a few seconds.

-David C.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:08 PM
andrew66

yes i know where ur coming from, but i really dont think that i have anyone available to teach me. i know of some people who live 4 hours away and could get in contact with them but as far a s driving to the nearest town would be a 2 hour drive min. i know that the time and fuel spent getting there is far better than crashing, but i really dont have that kinda spare time. i get every sunday off and every second saturday. with other things on my ajenda like cleaning house, doing dishes, cleaning my fish tanks, ect.... i just dont have the time. i really dont think i could make time, because most of my "to do" list cant be put off. i need an "easy" button, but am losing hope. i have never been able to controll my undying love for aviation, so i wont give up! as long as i can see and use my hands, consider me a life long member.
i really need help!
thx
Old 01-12-2006, 09:22 PM
David Cutler

You could try flying a a small electric first, and practice the basics with that. Learning on one of those would give you extremely valuable skills that are directly transferable to the SIG. You could use the transmitter you already have, and it would be lot cheaper to build a small electric and crash that a few times.

Anyway, good luck and welcome to the most addictive hobby in the world!

Remember everybody (yes, absolutely everybody) has a few problems when they start, so don't get disheartened if you do.

-David C.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:56 PM
andrew66

i dont think i have the money to spend on another airplane right now. and i am getting anxious about flying my "creation". i have flow simulators once at a hobby show and it just doesnt seem like the real thing pictured in my mind. maybe i should go all out and try it. if i crash i will try again...until i learn
Old 01-12-2006, 10:43 PM
David Cutler

If you can get the use of a simulator (that is a model flying one, not one for full size ones, as you need to get experience outside, not inside the aircraft) that's a giant leap in the right direction as they are pretty good at teaching the basics. The next time you can use one, try as many landings as you can.

-David C.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:07 PM
NEW222

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried the Portage Planes R/C Club. You can contact them at pprcc.portage.net/
It is about an hour away, but would be worth the trip. I cannot help as I live east of Winnipeg, and have not flown r/c for about 8 years. Anyways good luck either way, and hope you get her up.[link]http://pprcc.portage.net/[/link]
Old 01-13-2006, 08:04 AM
flyranger

Download FMS, it is free. Google RC Flight Simulator to get it and get a serial pic cable. It connects to your transmitter and your computer serial port (mostly unused these days. The sim is not realistic when it comes to landings, but will help a great deal practicing the reversals needed when flying towards you and flying away from you. Better to crash the sim than your expensive plane!
Old 01-14-2006, 01:41 PM
andrew66

thanx i will try the sim. i guess if i found the time i could make it to portage, but i doubt anyone will be flying until spring unless u know anybody who likes to fly in winter. i really want to get this bird in the air!
Old 01-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Irokee

Hi Andrew66 !
I have been through the same "dilemma" as you have...should I fly or not !! You have that nice looking aeroplane just standing there screaming ....: fly me fly me!!.... I did try on my own for my first flight, and it was over after about 8 seconds...... after that I have spent a fortune on propellers,balsa,Oracover,epoxi and some servos.....
So my advice to you is also, get a simulator !! If not GP, get FMS with a cable to your RC transmitter, that is enough to start with. If you have no one that could pratice with you, simulator is the only alternative....And practice a lot of landing.....
That is how I learn flying.....
Good Luck from Sweden
Old 01-14-2006, 08:31 PM
andrew66

does anyone know where i could get a serial pic cable. i asked my hobby shop and they "said" that they couldnt order one. i think that they just want to sell me a sim, but i dont have the money right now. any help would be great. as for an electric plane would the new megatec a7 work? its only $76 but its only two channels. (throttle and rudder).
Old 01-15-2006, 03:20 AM
D Bronk

E-mail DENNIS .HE is in Winnipeg ,and sells the cables, at a very reasonable price too.Ju8st let him know about your equipment (computer and radio)..I would recommend him to, my best friends..

E-mail ; [email protected]

Web site is: http://rc-circuits.com/

Tell him Dave B. from LacDuBonnet sent you.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:26 AM
andrew66

thanx, i'll check it out
Old 01-15-2006, 03:42 AM
D Bronk

I bought a cord for a Futaba(7chp and 4yf) systems with the Square trainer ports on the back and his cord worked great on both radios .Cost was about $50.00 .Just plug, and play.Ask him for a ready built cord, and away you go .Download the free FMS, and you`ll have a decent, low cost Flight sim.Dennis replies pretty quick to his E-mail too .I won`t hesitate, to do buisness, with him again.Search his site and,I`m pretty sure ,you`ll find what you need there.He`ll help you, pick the right set-up, if your not sure.DAVE B.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:57 AM
windsurf1

I did the same as Irokee. My .40 Arising Star was sat screaming at me and i thought it cant be that hard so i took it to the park to give it a go and how wrong i was. I took of ok, climbed and then entered into a left turn not knowing i needed to input some elevator to keep the height and it just slipped out of the sky in seconds! It was in a million pieces, engine bust, Rx smashed and me very upset! [:@]I went and bought another airplane and all other bits so i ended up spending double the amount on my first/second plane and had to build it all again. I then went to a club and got lessons and boy i realised just how stupid i was to think i could have done it with no help. I really wouldnt advise it but if you no choice i dont no what you can do

Best of luck to you anyway and i hope it goes better than my maiden!
Old 01-15-2006, 03:40 PM
andrew66

i do have a little experience on a sim that was at a rc toy and hobby show. i played around on that for a while and i kept crashing. i asked the guy at the dest to tell me why i was crashing and he said just add up elevator on turns. after his advice i was doing alot better. i wish i could have stayed there all day on that thing, but i had to let other ppl try it too. i think ill get that cable next weekend while im in wpg.
thanx
Old 01-16-2006, 05:52 PM
Spanky1

Good luck andrew66!
I learned by myself. It can be done, you will soon learn just how VALUABLE the RCU is! It has helped me with numerous things. Use the search and endulge yourself........

All hail RCU,

Spanky
Old 01-16-2006, 09:15 PM
andrew66

thanx guys
Old 01-17-2006, 12:29 AM
D Bronk

I think with the cable, and lots of practice, you`ll have a better chance ,than no practice at all..
Old 01-29-2006, 07:32 PM
ELTIGRE

what these guys are saying is correct . it looks easy & simple BUT..... add in the excitement of actually flying, wind, trim problems ,orientation( a true killer if & when it gets far away) etc and trying to learn the responses of that particular model are usually too, too much mental overload for the average joe.RC flying requires & demands trained responses NOT deliberate thought.things happen fast in the air & just slowing down ( IF you remember to) may not be enough. if you have to rely on memory or thinking you do not usually have that time. granted, the Kadet SR/JR series is slower , it is also more fragile too than some trainers.you will crash - a lot! a glider, power glider or cheap electric will give you some idea with out smashing your pride & joy. if your time is limited then your building time is too. a day or two at the field of a club will be VERY WELL spent . two hours is not that far a trip considering your investment in equipment. you also could crash more than once from the same problem before(if) you figured it out , damaging equipment in the process.