Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

A First!...well..for me anyway

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

A First!...well..for me anyway

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 08:45 AM
Spanky1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A First!...well..for me anyway

I'm sure to the seasoned vets here this isn't a big deal, but to the many years I've been flying this was a first.

For Christmas my wonderful mother-in-law bought me a Trans-mitt for flying in the frigid snow and cold. We had a bit of warm weather recently and it was raining. SO I FLEW!

There were many questions like; will the engine run, air surfaces and flying characteristics disrupted. Nothing happened accept a great flight. Many flights in fact.

It would seem that a beginner trying to get stick time in a normally heavy traffic club could benifit from this. Fly in the rain when no one is around with no distraction etc.

Just thought I'd share is all

Spanky
Old 01-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: A First!...well..for me anyway

Spanky, you'll find that you can fly in almost any type of weather. As a newbie becomes more experienced, he'll be able to fly in winds that frighten you now. By using cold weather gear, he can fly through all but the harshest winters. Even a sprinkle of rain won't stop him, since the plane is virtually waterproof and what it gets on it in the air is quickly blown off. I've made skis and flown off 6" of snow. It was awesome! I did doughnuts on the virgin snow in the runway, touch and gos watching the powder fly up from the prop blast, and all "normal" flight maneuvers. It was GREAT!

Dr.1
Old 01-15-2006, 07:10 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Congratulations. What ever it takes?

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 01-16-2006, 12:07 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Was it a four, or two stroke? I would think that the downward facing carb of a four stroke would be better suited for rain. May not matter, but just a thought I had..
Old 01-16-2006, 10:28 AM
w8ye

It doesn't make a whole lot of difference about the position of the carb. There's just too much air swirling around the engine in flight. I've flown both two and four strokes in light rain. The problem is getting into the clouds if low lying scud comes by.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 01-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Spanky1

This is an os 40fp 2st. The duroplane and motor along with some other stuff was purchased for 25 bucks. It has been flown over and over and over. If there is any spare time to fly, it will go up. No matter how nasty the weather. It has been dubbed "the ghetto bird".

There was no hiccups to the engine because of the rain. When it was sitting there it sounded neat with the rain "pinging" off the covering.

w8ye is right, I did have to wait until the ceiling lifted a bit, AND the next storm coming in. A rumble of thunder finally made me quit. But HEY! these things make you a stronger pilot.....right?
Old 01-16-2006, 05:53 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad you got some flying in but be careful flying in the rain. Transmitters don't like being wet and then there is that thing about walking around with your own personal lightning rod. [:@] Should be OK as long as no lightning in the area.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:19 PM
w8ye

This reminds me of an event long ago in my model airplane control line days.

I had been taught as a kid in the South that you don't fly control line when there are thunder storms around because of the metal wires, they will attract lightning and kill you.

When flying control line, your hand is very close to the wires if not in direct contact.

As an adult I always lived in North Central Ohio. When I was about 22, I wanted to fly and it was snowing outside but no wind. I thought great, a good day to fly and there will not be any thunder and lightning.

I was first to fly and to my surprise I was getting the daylights shocked out of me. What I didn't realize was that the steel wires moving through the precipitation (Snow) was creating a static charge. It was like a spark plug jumping onto my hand.

Moral
Don't fly control line when its raining or snowing.

Getting back to R/C... Rain is really loud when it hits on the Monocoat of the wings of the plane.

Enjoy,

Jim