Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Airplane Build - Hangar 9 Solo Sport

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Airplane Build - Hangar 9 Solo Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 06:38 PM
ForeverHero
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Airplane Build - Hangar 9 Solo Sport

Well, I finaly returned from overseas and if the weather holds out then tomorrow is the big day. I must confess that I am a bit nervous about taking it to the field and getting to fly it for the first time. My instructor will be taking her up for the initial flight but after that I should be able to try my hand at it. I have this feeling that it is going to be a lot different that flying my ParkZone Stryker or practicing on the simulator. Hopefully, everything will go as planned and I will have a successful flight.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 04-01-2006, 09:35 PM
ForeverHero
My Feedback: (1)

Wooo!! HHooo!! success... I took the plane to the Boulder Field today and after 5 flights with my insrtuctor I was able to solo my plane. My instructor, Dale, took the plane up for its maiden flight and finialized the settings. Then he landed it and we refueled the plane for my first try. Well, he took it off and after one lap of the oval pattern, he turn control over to me. I flew several laps and then Dale guided me into the landing pattern and talk me into my first landing. It went nice and smooth, three point landing and no bounces at all.
We refueled and took it up for another round. This time I took off and then flew it around into the pattern after several laps, I brought it in for a landing. This one as a little rough, bounced twice as I tried to rush the plane down. After that flight we broke for lunch but we were back in the air within the hour. We continued flying in this way for three more flights and then on the six flight he asked me if I was ready to try it solo. He stayed close but I started the plane, taxied to the runway and took off like a pro. I even used the rudder to keep it going straight down the runway until it lept into the air.
I did about six laps and then announced that I was landing to the other pilots and brought it into the landing pattern. I brought it in just as before and and made another three point, no bounce landing. Once it was on the ground, I hit the throttle-cut switch and she just coasted to the end of the runway. We retrieved the plane and cleaned it up as I was done for the day because 15 minutes later it started to rain but I still had a grin from ear to ear like I was 10 Years old again.
Thanks again to aeveryone that help answer my questions during the building stage. You guys really were a big help and today it felt great to finally get into the air, especially after all the years that I kept saying that this was the year that I was going to finally get and airplane and learn how to fly; it feels great.

Thanks Again,

Mark
Old 01-05-2007, 05:29 AM
WhirlyGirl
My Feedback: (34)

CONGRATULATIONS on your first "Solo" flight! I just bought a Hangar 9 Solo to use for our club trainer. A nice looking plane, I guess it flies at least as good as it looks. Pretty impressive to solo in one day.

Have fun!