Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

glow starter....what's the best method.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

glow starter....what's the best method.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:05 PM
KidEpoxy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: glow starter....what's the best method.

Well, not really contributing a discussion point but I use

Glow Igniter with a few old p1700 nicads in my pocket
Elect Starter on a 8cell cp1300 pack

Fires up a GP42, AP15, and Magnum52 4stroke just fine, and I can lug both and a quart of nitro & syringe in camo cargo pockets and go hours with the .15 at the flying place I had to hike to. When street flying, I alway keep a panel & cut 14ga extension cord in the car as backup
Old 02-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Fastsky

Re: " Setting the output to the same place on the meter will not result in an optimal glow for each plug." < I haven't noticed it to be a concern for me. I have taken out the plugs and checked the glow vs. the setting just to see how it looks a couple of times and the glow has looked good to me so I don't bother to check it any more. Re: "IMHO if you can't hand start your engine then you are not doing something right. "< if you have an electric fuel pump then you have a good 12 volt so why not run a starter off it?? Re: " I avoid using an electric starter is that it tears up my plastic spinners."< this probably just means that you are not getting a good, quick, solid connection onto the spinner on the engine. If the starter cone is getting old or brittle or has burn marks on it caused by a less than solid connection then that could be a problem. Old cones can lose their ability to grip the spinner abd will just cause friction and heat. I had to replace a couple of starter cones before I learned how to get a quick solid connection onto the spinner on the plane engine. My last new cone has lasted 3 years and is still in good shape.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:47 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Fastsky

Re: " Setting the output to the same place on the meter will not result in an optimal glow for each plug." < I haven't noticed it to be a concern for me. I have taken out the plugs and checked the glow vs. the setting just to see how it looks a couple of times and the glow has looked good to me so I don't bother to check it any more.
My experience is different, so when I change glow plug models or brands, I give it a quick check and adjust if necessary. In fact, I check a new plug before I install it. If you prefer not to, that's fine.
Re: "IMHO if you can't hand start your engine then you are not doing something right. "< if you have an electric fuel pump then you have a good 12 volt so why not run a starter off it??
The point was really about learning proper engine starting techniques. It was not intended to start an argument about starters. However, since you brought it up, quite a few people with power panels don't use electric fuel pumps. It's also possible that they have a small 12v battery because they know it's only going to power the glow driver, and perhaps a field charger. They also may not want to carry the extra weight associated with an electric starter, and larger battery. And finally, some of us don't use electric starters simply because we don't want to. Bottom line, if don't need a starter, why should I bother bringing it to the field? Is there a reason why you feel the need to change our minds?
Re: " I avoid using an electric starter is that it tears up my plastic spinners."< this probably just means that you are not getting a good, quick, solid connection onto the spinner on the engine. If the starter cone is getting old or brittle or has burn marks on it caused by a less than solid connection then that could be a problem. Old cones can lose their ability to grip the spinner abd will just cause friction and heat. I had to replace a couple of starter cones before I learned how to get a quick solid connection onto the spinner on the plane engine. My last new cone has lasted 3 years and is still in good shape.
I've used a variety of new cones and I know I'm getting a good connection. It still leaves starter rash on the spinner. If you look at the planes at nearly any field it's really easy to determine who's using a starter. I prefer to not have that look on my planes.

PS. Your style of quoting is extremely inconvenient to read. It would help if you would at least separate them into individual paragraphs instead of one run-on block of words.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Mode One

I use a starter and it does leave an unsightly ring around the spinner. I can see people deciding not to use one because of this. I guess this doesn't matter too much to me with my sport airplanes.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:00 PM
RC-Captain

I agree , although I don't use a starter much, never mind not even using a cone every now and then, the marks on the cone can't be seen when the plane is 300 feet in the air, moving at 50-140 MPH, and the cone spinning at 14000 RPM's, so I can get over the marks.