Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Those that have left the hobby.......

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Those that have left the hobby.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 10:13 PM
Joe14580

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Those that have left the hobby.......

Thanks to all that replied to my query, I enjoyed reading them all [8D].
Old 02-28-2006, 12:46 AM
txaggie08

For me its a question of time. Ill be back at it hard and heavy come the summer. When and if i get my heli running ill be flying even sooner.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:46 PM
jimmy c
My Feedback: (2)

I'm 57 yrs young and got ito modeling as a boy because of my dad. I started with rubber band model airplane kits and progressed to U-control airplanes. That's CL I guess to the rest of the world. My final airplane as a one channel rubber band powered escapement high wing RC trainer. It wasn't trimmed properly and I flew it into the Mohawk River. End of hobby and fast forward 43 yrs. I'm retired with plenty of time on my hands and alittle bit more money. The kids being grown and on their own has helped too. So here I am with a great bunch of RCers that are always willing to help me out and a hobby that has changed incredibly, ie ARFs, computer radio systems., etc. If only I lived in the South! Regardless, I'm having a ball and I can't even land yet but I've been talking to my Sig Senior and it'll be soon!!
Old 04-08-2006, 01:26 PM
jetboy11914

I guess I'll post my entry into RC life and departure from the hobby as well. I started at about age 11 buying a Hangar 9 Xtra Easy glow trainer. Six months after getting the plane I finally ventured to the local field and got an instructor. Three months later I soloed the plane. However, high school, sports, and life got the best of me for the next 6 yrs. or so I was out of the hobby. Finally, I decided to give the electrics a try, and at 18 I'm flying my SFM Soarstar regularly in our pasture. (lol we have alot of land - 100 acres) But yes, if you truely want to get into this hobby, just stick w/it....and success will come eventually.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was a regular dedicated weekend guy for years until last fall where as I went to a different section at my workplace. Now i am off on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Don't fly as much as i did. maybe every other week but still have my hands on a plane every day or so.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Rforce1

I flew 3 or 4 times a week for 3 years, then the last 2 years I have been out a total of maybe 5 times. I'm just getting back into it, for me it was a time issuie. I took on a second job, then before I knew it, it had been a few months without flying, and from there I kind of just lost the desire to fly or work on my fleet.

Well now I've got a little more time on my hands, I plan on doing quite a bit of flying this year. I have been out a few times already this year, and to be honest I forgot how much I enjoy flying. It's amazing how fast your skills go down the drain [] hopefully I'll be back to the same level I was at a couple years ago in no time.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:29 AM
RedTwilight

yes this hobby is expensive. But others are more expensive. My girlfriend just got me into this hobby with a christmas present. I've always wanted to get into it though. I live several hundred feet down the road from my uncles airfield that he flies cropdusters from. As far back as I can remember people would come to the field and fly RC planes. I always walked or rode my bike to watch them fly. Now thanks to my girlfriend I have dove headfirst into the hobby. I've already spent almost $1000 and have 2 planes. I'm also into cars. Right now I'm broke (well almost) and need to replace the clutch in my Mustang Cobra. If I wasn't into RC that money would have just gone into the cars which gets even more expensive.

Trinity

p.s.- would anyone like to donate $350 to the buy RedTwilight a new clutch fund! lol[&:]
Old 04-09-2006, 09:16 AM
jamie_duff

I started with my dad's control line models, flying old David Charlton diesels when I was a little boy in the late eighties. I spent my 12th birthday money on my first R/C model, a Precedent Fly Boy, 3 channel high wing tail dragger, and built it in my bedroom (incidently I became very fond of Precedent kits, I ended up with four and still have all of them despite some terrible punishment!).

To scared to fly it, I was given a 2ch glider (Precedent HiFly) by an old man who was retiring from a hobby shop I bought plastic models from. He showed me how to set up my radio and I taught myself to fly it in a park using a big bungee to launch it. I just kept doing it, seeing how far round a circuit I could get on the 60ft or so height I'd start with.

Eventually at 15yrs old I got a saturday job at another hobby shop, and the owner took me along to his club, where one "expert" screwed up the slow running needle on my engine, but another very humble man with a huge Sukhoi Su-26 taught me to fly my Flyboy. He was a Mode One guy, so he just stood next to me telling me what to do.

I built a lovely little model called a "Raider" from plans I bought from Nexus in the UK. That's another stalwart model - it just keeps going. Infact, I've only completely trashed one model since I started, although most of the others have suffered minor~moderate damage at some point.

I eventually took too big a jump from the light wing loading "Raider" and bought a little Hawker Hurricane. I was so proud of that model, but it was a little too hot for me and I never actually finished a landing on it's wheels - I kept landing too hot (scared to slow down) and ending up with it on it's back. Eventually I cartwheeled it on takeoff causing some serious damage. I was gutted. It sat looking sorry on a shelf until late last year when I decided to give it some attention.

Eventually I joined the RAF, and like any military service, the training courses are great at stamping out hobbies - so that was that.

A few years later out I came, and decided to finish off a Top Flite P-47 that sat, uncovered, for the past 4 years. My new fiancee at the time had thought the whole r/c plane past a bit sad until she was let loose with cellulose dope She has a real soft spot for that T-Bolt now - dunno why

I didn't want to smash it up as I hadn't flown in 4 years, so I took my Precedent LoBoy and T-180 out first. The former has a high wing loading, the latter a tail dragger u/c that keeps you on your toes. 2 days later I maidened the T-Bolt and it was like I never left [8D]

Back into it big time now, my P-51 is coming along nicely, my T-6 is ready to fly next nice day I have off - the nights are getting lighter now too so maybe some day after work???

The warbirds especially get expensive though - the undercarriage and all the sequencers etc cost more than a whole 4 channel sport model ready to go costs Just means I build less of them.

Sorry for length of post - got a bit carried away
Old 04-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Joe14580

Thanks to all for keeping this thread alive [8D].
Old 04-09-2006, 04:08 PM
8D3
My Feedback: (3)

I started in 1991,flew every Sunday that the weather was decent until about 1995.I started playing golf and got hooked bad on that until 2003.Bought A Honda 250R quad and started MX racing(way too old,but I always wanted to tryt it).My old flying buddy kept hinting about him getting back into flying,so I finally told him,if he did,I would.Well,I come home one day and there he is with a new Avistar,and I couldnt go back on my word,so I got an Extra off Ebay,took it to the field and flew it by myself on the 1st flight.Felt pretty good to get it up and down by myself after 10 yrs.That was in Oct of 05,winter set in and I went to building a Goldberg Extra,bought a Goldberg Ultimate off this site and got a Blackhorse Extra in the mail a few weeks back.I guess Im back,anyone need a 250R,lol
Old 04-10-2006, 07:57 AM
3D Flyer
My Feedback: (37)

I left the hobby many years ago for several reasons:

1. Just had my first baby and time was short
2. Money was short
3. There were some difficult people in the club that were making things vary uncomfortable for
many of the members
4. I had not learned how to fly good enough to feel comfortable flying on my own, so I always felt depedent on others for help

When I decided to get involved again I learned how to fly with confidence and put myself on a budget.
When I don't have time for the hobby now, I just put it aside for a time and then come back to it. This seems to work out as a nice balance. This hobby can become addictive and family members can become resentful.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:08 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

For all who complain about the old f---ts just take alook at the average age at your field. Truth be told they are most likely "returnees" who modeled in their youth before they discovered girls, cars, got married, had to raise family and have finally returned to a hobby they would have stayed in if not for the interruptions. I've been lucky. The girl that distracted me always was enthusiastic about the hobby I've been in since 1934. She doesn't fly or build anything but she's still interested in what I do whether it's flying, sailing or airboating. The house is ours and we have great grandchildren up to age 18. I hire someone to do the yardwork and she hires someone to clean the house. We got it made and I have 72 years modeling, except for a while over Europe, and have never had to come back to it. I'm just happy as a woodlark to see some of the old guys back where they belong and want to be. It's fun to talk to the guys that remember some of the good old boys, and good times we had. Unfortunately some of us won't be here in a few more years, but the ones who came back will never be sorry that they did.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Paladin049

I haven't flown more than twice in 3 years, mainly due to fear. What fear? Of crashing the only plane I owned and not being able to afford to replace it. I now own two flyable birds, an Avistar and a Stik, but am still out because I cannot afford over $100 for AMA and local club memberships just now...and I feel the need for at least one buddy box flight to knock the rust off. Hopefully I can renew the AMA and then join the local club in a month or two. Confidence is a fickle thing sometimes!