Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Superstitions..... bad luck?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Superstitions..... bad luck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 10:34 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Superstitions..... bad luck?

That falls into this category...

I got to the field and inspected my plane all over and checked the bolts for tightness and battery voltages. Then I range checked my radio.

The guy next to me asked why I was doing that? He went on to say that he never bothered. I've been flying with him at least once a week for over two years and he's never had a radio failure. But he has taken off with the ailerons backwards.

Some people do not preflght their setup.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 03-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Kwigen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's fine Mode One but this is a mode two superstition.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Mode One

Airknocker wasn't a nick-name for all Aeronca Aircraft? That don't make no sense.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:57 PM
ashley95

i believe in the never say just one more flight......and you never say hey watch this cause its usually followed by oh shi*
Old 03-03-2006, 06:09 AM
Mode One

You know, I never put two and two together, these are all Mode 2 superstitions! Sorry guys!

I've got a couple things us Mode One guys do to combat the untimely demise of our aircraft, by fighting off these evil spirits. I'll give you a couple just to get you started; but, you would have to convert to Mode One to get the full list. These things are what most might call ritualistic in nature, and you guys being Mode 2 guys, it likely won't make much sense to you: 1). Always turn on the radio, before starting your engine! 2). Always start your engine, previous to attempting to fly.

Other Mode One guys might be mad at me for giving this much information away, so I have to stop!
Old 03-03-2006, 07:13 AM
Spanky1

Wow! Great input. Some FINE issue's to be addressed for our beginners Especially the salt over the shoulder, thats great.

I believe the greasing in the landing before you leave. But come on.....after a great landing and taxiing back up to you with the plane sitting in front of you, you JUST CANT HELP but take it around....one....more....time. Right????
Spanky
Old 03-03-2006, 10:45 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if you would consider this a superstition or not but at one field I was at a guy came in storming " How in He** do you expect me to fly, someones parked in my spot " ENJOY !!! RED
Old 03-03-2006, 11:13 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: red head

I don't know if you would consider this a superstition or not but at one field I was at a guy came in storming " How in He** do you expect me to fly, someones parked in my spot " ENJOY !!! RED
I had never thought about that until he said this. But I do have to park in "my spot" at the field. If I don't park there I just don't feel "comfortable" that day. I've actually gotten up early to get out to the field before others start showing up.

Ken
Old 03-04-2006, 07:40 AM
w8ye

I suppose I'm that way also. Get to the field late and someone's in my spot. At first time I got internally upset but after getting everything going, I forgot about it. I then felt ashamed of myself for feeling that way for a few moments.

But I do notice that everyone generally uses the same table and parks in the same place if they can.

Enjoy,

Jim

Old 03-04-2006, 08:54 AM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well i have no parking spot because there are none, but i learned on a strip that san bernardino county mixes asphalt on and i had been flying there for two years before i recieved an invite to fly at an alternate spot which was a full size runway, they even gave me a key.

well at first i thought this was great and went there about 5 times and noticed that even though it was physically a better place to fly, i really didnt feel comfortable.

one day i arrived on a work day after work at about 300pm for some practice and had just rolled out on the runway and did my normal look down the runway and to my great surprise there was a C130 lining uup on the runway at about 100 ft off the deck[X(], man, i got my plane back, grabbed it and held on, every since then i never could feel good about that place, should have listened to my gut cause im back to my old "strip"
Old 03-05-2006, 01:26 AM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

well i don't believe in superstitions myself,just circumstances.i don't believe in luck but some people seem to have it more than others.and bad things seem to happen to some people more than others.my wife goes to bingo you should see the crap she takes with her her voodoo dolls i call them..........lol
Old 03-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine may be a combination of a superstition or personal policy. I don't work on planes at the field. If I can see it and it needs minor repair or adjustment, fine. If I have to remove a cowl or go inside the fuselage, I bag it and go home. I learned that a long time ago. Nothing good ever comes from guys who use the field as their workshop.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:42 AM
gjeffers

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

Mine may be a combination of a superstition or personal policy. I don't work on planes at the field. If I can see it and it needs minor repair or adjustment, fine. If I have to remove a cowl or go inside the fuselage, I bag it and go home. I learned that a long time ago. Nothing good ever comes from guys who use the field as their workshop.
i dont have many people around when i fly but i imagine that if there were a lot around id have a real hard time concentrating on my plane with people all around yapping, i would forget something[X(]
and that woulnt be good
Old 03-05-2006, 03:14 PM
CP140

Oddly enough, I have spent considerable time over the last few years investigating superstitions as they relate to RC flying. I've read many anecdotal reports and have watched as others have submitted their superstitions to rigorous scientific testing while carefuly documenting the results and cross referencing them to the above anecdotal reports.

After much effort, I developed a database of the various superstitions and spent many hours sifting through the data.

I have determined without a doubt, that it is absolutley and unequivocally bad luck if you fail to

Edit:Correct spelling mistrakes
Old 03-05-2006, 03:22 PM
striderjg

ok come on cp. With a intro like that ur gonna leave it hanging. If u fail to WHAT!
Old 03-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a ritual which starts with putting four folded paper towels in my left front pants pocket. My ritual is the result of careful consideration, and, If I follow it, nothing can go wrong. I would suggest to anyone who flies to develop a comfortable ritual and do not deviate from it. Your stuff will work better and you will have more fun. It is not a matter of superstition, but like a check list.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:50 PM
w8ye

A guy at the flying field yesterday was talking about they put plastic sacks in the aft fuselage of all their planes so when they crashed, they would have a sack to put the pieses in.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 03-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: w8ye

A guy at the flying field yesterday was talking about they put plastic sacks in the aft fuselage of all their planes so when they crashed, they would have a sack to put the pieses in.
Enjoy,
Jim
Alhtough I am in a LOL moment here, that really does make sense.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Kwigen

Shoot, why not put some glue and a little extra balsa in there too.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:24 PM
w8ye

A guy drilled a Seagull Spacewalker in yesterday when he forgot to charge his transmitter. That's what prompted the thought. It busted the receiver and everything. The farmer that owned the field took him over there in his truck to where it went in. The farmer had some old cow feed bags to put the parts in.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 03-05-2006, 08:51 PM
CP140

Unfortunately, I have also learned that Balsa and CA are jealous gods and will exact a horrible toll from those who fail to appease them.

As I typed the last few words in my previous post, Windows locked up, my computer crashed, the lights went out, there was a clap of thunder, a black cat ran across my keyboard (spilling salt and breaking a mirror as he jumped), there was a swarm of locusts, a sudden solar eclipse and a minor earthquake... also if I'm not mistaken, there was a definite disturbance in the force.

Clearly, this was intended as a warning to me that I should not reveal the secrets of CA and Balsa. If you will all excuse me... I must now go and burn some scraps of covering while chanting and circling the fire (counterclockwise of course!)
Old 03-05-2006, 08:57 PM
CP140

Actually developing a ritual of always doing things the same way in the same order does make sense. Each thing you do prior to taking off may not be needed every time you fly, but if you miss something you'll get this sense that something isn't right...

There's a reason full size aircraft and aircrew have checklists to follow.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:07 PM
gjeffers

dang CP, i was thinking of coming up and burning some stuff and having some beers with ya, but then i realized that you guys arent just having fun, your trying to stay warm, its just not the same[&o]