Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

another "fly without an instructor" question

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

another "fly without an instructor" question

Old 03-05-2006, 08:49 PM
rdavico

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another "fly without an instructor" question

I know this gets asked a lot, but my case is just a little different. I have flown my Nexstar a couple flights on a buddy box, and did OK with it. My instructor is a great guy, but our schedules conflict pretty regularly. I havent flown the Nexstar in 8 or 9 weeks, and have never taken off or landed it. Here's where it gets interesting.. A little while back, I was so anxious to start flying that I decided to get an electric plane that I could mess around with during the week while waiting to fly with the instructor on the weekend. I figured it would be cheap and not the end of the world if I wreck it. Well, it wasn't exactly what I would call cheap by the time I had charger, batteries, etc, but at least the planes themselves arent too expensive. The first electric I bought was a Great Planes Yak 55 flightflex foamie. I had a few crashes, did a lot of repairing, and got to where I could fly it around pretty good. I knew the Yak was not a begginer's plane, but I am just stubborn that way I guess. After a while the plane looked like junk with all the repair jobs I decided to get another plane. This time I picked up a GP P-51 foamie. Again it was definitely not a begginer's plane, but I wanted to find something that was going to work with the electronics, batteries, etc. from the Yak. I took it off, and everything was great. It was faster than the Yak, but it was OK. A couple minutes into the flight, for some reason I had a brain dump, and for a split second it was like I had never held a radio in my hands in my life. That was all it took, and I smacked it right into the ground. I was frustrated, and figured I need to forget about it and go back to waiting for the weekend to fly with the instructor. A couple days later, I was over it, had already spent all this money on lipos, receivers, servos, etc., that I had to continue, and bought a cap 580 "flat out" foamie. again, not a begginer's plane. Well, I have not crashed it yet, but have had a few close calls, but for the most part, I am actually flying this thing. The landing gear is definitely not intended for grass or dirt, so I havent had a smooth landing yet. It is extremely hard to fly in even a little bit of wind, buy I have leqarned to deal with it.

Now I am looking at my Nexstar again, and trying to decide if I should attempt to fly it solo. I know it is easier to fly than the foamies, but it is also more expensive. I am looking at it like it is the real thing, and the others were just toys. I know that this is wrong. What do you think? Should I be able to take off and land my Nexstar with the foamie experience I have had? BTW, I put a lot of time in on my Aerofly deluxe before I had this great idea of trying to fly a little "toy" electric all by myself.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 03-05-2006, 09:04 PM
tsands
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: another "fly without an instructor" question

the instructor helps with those brain dump moments Flyin with the buddy box would've averted that situation. I guess what I'm trying to say is with an inst. you get to the point where inputs are nearly automatic and you don't think you just react to "that gust of wind" or whatever caused your plane to get in an unwanted attitude. My suggestion will ALWAYS be get an instructor so those inputs are are given a chance to become automatic. NOW. You have your foamies which ARE "too much plane" that you have practiced with so if you cant wait for the inst. you should fly the ones "you don't care about" until the inputs are automatic. PLEASE don't forget the bigger plane will do much more damage to itself and whatever it hits than the foamies. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE and good luck.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:23 PM
roltech

I have taking the Nexstar up without a buddy box help, the only thing I did fly it in the sim till I could almost land on the roof of the house. I could do just about anything with the flight sim. I did take it up with a friend keeping a eye on how I was flying and giving me some pointers, but he never had to take over the control, I did this away from the city and no one else around for half a dozen time, and later join a club and MAAC , got me a instructor to get my wings. So what I'm trying to tell you that, since you flue some electrics and if you feel you are ready, it's a lot easier to fly the Nexstar than those small foams type, but if you don't have a instructor, at least get a experienced friend to guide you and preferable no one else around.MOP

roltech
Old 03-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Mode One

It is so foolhardy for someone here on R/CUniverse, to say to you; "Oh, man, you've got enough experience, go out an fly that thing! Your ready! We have no idea of what your experience is, even though you have told us what you've been up to. Experience doesn't necessarily translate to ability. Tell your instructor what you've been doing and ask him what he thinks.

Going up with an instructor shouldn't be looked upon as a bad thing! Your not a wimp if you do and your not courageous if you don't!

Flying in itself in not inherently dangerous, it is just unforgiving of mistakes!
Old 03-05-2006, 09:55 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

If you're willing to risk significant damage to the Nexstar, and possibly hurting someone if it gets out of control, go for it!

Sorry, let me start over. Since you've built up additional experience, your time to solo the Nexstar should now be shorter. Rather than risking a more expensive plane, and potentially hurting someone, give your instructor a call. Tell him you've been practicing with foamies and that you think it's helped you progress. Explain that you are anxious to solo and see if you can work out a schedule. If you can't match schedules, ask if there might be another instructor whose schedule might be more in line with yours. I can't speak for him, but I know I wouldn't have a problem with such a call.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:19 PM
roltech

MODE ONE:
What he is TELLING US is the following

(My instructor is a great guy, but our schedules conflict pretty regularly. I havent flown the Nexstar in 8 or 9 weeks, )

I had the same problem and did not even fly anything else before attempting on my own, and pay attention I did say to fly with an expereince pilot and NOW ONE ELSE around. If he can't get a instructor So no one can get hurt, I don't know if some of us has ever tried a Park flier? but I did after I got my wings and IMOP it requires a no wind or very little wind etc. I realize that the Nexstar is more expensive than those foams plane. I think it is up to him to decide if he wants to take that chance, he should almost know if he is ready to try as explained above. Also before replying! read carefully the post.

roltech
Old 03-05-2006, 10:58 PM
rjm1982

I think its funny that people forget that not too long ago, you had to teach youself.

Now that there IS help, people want to FORCE it on you. Its your money. If you want to fly yourself, do it. Alot of people have taught themselves.

If you do crash, you can get either the wing or the fuse for pretty cheap from tower...so its not a huge deal.

I understand his situation, i just soloed today, over a year after i started...and only 6 flights on the nexstar. Timing was my deal as well...and the frustration was definatly there. If i had a place that i could fly on my own, i would have.

I bought a stryker (i dont care what anyone says, this is the best self-taught learning plane out there...its hard enough to fly to help teach good habits, and cheap enough to repair when you need to) and taught myself. I also had already bought G3 and flew on it at least 3 or 4 times a week for an hour or so.

After that, i took 1 trip up on a buddy box, deadsticked way out and brought it in myself..today I soloed. After only 5 times on the box, 3 of which were over a year ago.

IM not saying tell anyone to just go it alone. It seems that he has tried to fly with the instructor, and failed to get the timing right. Hes worked with some difficult to fly planes...and has learned from them.
If he has a way and a place to fly SAFTELY and away from other people or property that he might damage...then he should go for it. He seems competent enought to understand the risk...so dont be so quick to jump on him.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:33 PM
roltech

Ditto: Thanks:

Your right! the RC pilot that came with me was self thought.
When he started there were no instructors, and you know how it is 8 to 9 weeks is a long time when your addicted to this hobby, as long as your not in an area where someone could get hurt if things went wrong. I went about 35 miles out of the city where no one was around. It's funny but I took off and landed OK and got better the more time I practiced. when I finally was able to get an instructor I did, and it didn't take long to get my wings, I realize that not all is as lucky as I was , but I had a feeling that I could do it, and did, I think it's up to each of us to decide what we should do, as long as it don't jeopardize the safety of others. If your willing to take a chance that you may wreck your plane well it's the choice you take, and if you can't afford to wreck! than don't go at it alone without an instructor. I do believe that getting an instructor is way to go.
That's my story! and I'm sticking to it.

roltech
Old 03-06-2006, 02:14 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So you went and got yourself a foamie for more stick time.... but you just had to get one (no, three) that is clearly more plane than you can really handle right now. It sounds like you are still at a stage where you need a plane that is a bit forgiving. Usually that means a high wing trainer. Over grass you would probably be better off without the landing gear.

About flying that glow trainer: Let an instructor have a "check flight" with you before going solo with it. That glow plane most likely has more speed, space requirements and potential damage than an electric foamy. Play it safe.

I taught myself on a high wing electric foamy, over a cushion of long grass, without landing gear, after a lot of simulator practice. It worked out OK but I am not sure if it was just luck or a result of a lot of preparation.

Currently I am flying a "pattern style" aerobatic foamy, that I have not crashed for a long time now. The original high wing foamy is still there and I use it as an expendable test tool to make sure the wind is not too hard. The plan is to work up in size, gradually.

edit: just to be clear, this is in response to the first post.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:49 AM
Mode One

ORIGINAL: roltech
MODE ONE:
What he is TELLING US is the following

(My instructor is a great guy, but our schedules conflict pretty regularly. I havent flown the Nexstar in 8 or 9 weeks, )

I had the same problem and did not even fly anything else before attempting on my own, and pay attention I did say to fly with an expereince pilot and NOW ONE ELSE around. If he can't get a instructor So no one can get hurt, I don't know if some of us has ever tried a Park flier? but I did after I got my wings and IMOP it requires a no wind or very little wind etc. I realize that the Nexstar is more expensive than those foams plane. I think it is up to him to decide if he wants to take that chance, he should almost know if he is ready to try as explained above. Also before replying! read carefully the post.

roltech
Roltech, My response was not in reply to you; but, was a response to the original poster, Rdavico. R/CUniverse automatically places (In reply to) [very confusingly I might add] in the next post no matter if it has anything to do with the previous poster or not!

People seem to so easily miss-read what is being stated by others. Rdavico was asking what others on R/CU thought about his/her attempting to fly their glow trainer and listed what their experiences were. I responded to that question based upon the experience and common sense which I have developed since I started in this hobby. In the previous thread on this subject I was told my ideas and opinions are old and out dated. This topic seems to bring out hostility in people, for some unknown reason, so I've nothing further to say!
Old 03-06-2006, 08:49 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know which club (if any) you are associated with but you may want to find another instructor with more time. Here are 3 AMA clubs close to you:

PENSACOLA FREE FLIGHT TEAM
0.00 miles
PAUL GRABSKI 312 FOREST HILL DR
CANTONMENT FL 32533
Phone: 850.475.2297
Email: Email
Url: www.pensacolafreeflight.org

PENSACOLA AEROMODELERS
10.18 miles 215
RAE FRITZ 5980 PAWNEE DR
PENSACOLA FL 32526-9444
Phone:
Email: NONE

NORTHWEST FL MODELERS INC*
14.00 miles 213
RON BULLARD PO BOX 37702
PENSACOLA FL 32503
Phone: 850.501.0358
Email: NONE
Url: www.nfmi.org

You NEED some more help for a little bit longer. Don't let your pride ruin your planes. Also nothing wrong with belonging to 2 clubs.

Good luck.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:06 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

While you may or may not be ready to fly the NexStar is a question only you can answer. After killing many small electrics planes on my own. I decided to heed the advice of the experienced ppl in here & go the Instructor route. In my case it didn't work, lost them both to cancer (as instructors, they're are still with us) . So I too bought the NexStar, & simmed myself to death until I actually did land it on the roof in ridiculous wind settings, set right down the roof like a Heli & then took back off again. That was when I decided i was ready & went to the field & soloed by myself. The main difference betweeen the way I did it & the way roltech did it is the insurance! I joined the AMA first before I ever tried to fly a plane & got my name on the waiting list for the local club I wanted to join. By doing that & allready having made friends within in the club (by attending their meetings) I was allowed to guest fly since I was an AMA member.
So I soloed by myself at an AMA chartered site with my AMA card on the freq. board.

Just because I may have found a place way out away from any ppl doesn't mean I could keep the plane out there. If the plane would have got away from me & it allmost did on the maiden flight because I didn't turn off the AFS, there's no telling how far that plane would have flown itself & what possible damge to property or personal injury it may have caused. Luckily that didn't happen I got lucky & managed to get it back & it was far enough away the it was just a tiny speck in the sky. The point is if I had lost it & hurt somene I had AMA coverage because I was observing AMA safety rules when I did this.

Going out & flying it several times & then joing the MAAC is a ricky business. While I respect the fact that it is your business, & your choice to make, I certainly wouldn't suggest it to others.

I think with some recent sim time to get your thumbs back, & the AFS off, that yes you probably can solo a NexStar by yourself, but I would certainly get AMA membership first so you are insured if something does go wrong as long as you are observing their safety rules & regs.

A little tip while using your sim, turn the AFS off learn to fly without it. It works great everytime in the sim, but it's junk in real life. Then turn the wind up, I mean way up to where you're hovering & flying backwards, when you can set it down on the house or even close in 25mph with 50mph gusts, you'll be ready. Good Luck.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:48 AM
brooke

Radvico,
I did teach myself with the EP foams. I did crash them some before before I was able to fly every flight with out a crash. I did replace the main wing twice and the tail wing once, so it didn't cost me to much. Then I went to a nexstar, to date I have not crashed it and I have well over 100 flights on it. I never used an instructor, but started with a friend who had been flying for about one year, this did help.
Now with taht said, I also had two others friends want to do the same thing so I told them how it went for me. They tried to do the same as me and one of them only tried it one time, crashed and gave it up. The other friend tried many, many times and crashed every time. Then he came to me for help ( I am not much help like an instructor) I did try to help him, but he still crashed every time. I was able to fly his plane very well, but when he tried to do it - CRASH.
I guess what I am trying to say is that I think some people can do it and some need the help from an experienced pilot. Like I said I did it all on my own and loved it with out real problems, but now that I am flying with some experienced pilots I am really learning a lot of info. I did not know before.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Dr1Driver

You've answered your own question. Without an instructor, you've crashed plane after plane, time after time. A foamie is much lighter and slower (read less stored energy) than the Nexstar. A crash that will put a foamie out of commission for a couple of hours worth of repairs might well destroy the heavier, faster Nexstar. You've already found that electric foamies can be expensive, don't find out that crashing the Nexstar can be even more expensive.

Simulators are good, but VERY much different than real life, and NOT a good substitute for actual, personal instruction.

Be patient, wait until your instructor is available, or find another instructor to help you. Many soloed R/C pilots learned with more than one teacher.

Dr.1
Old 03-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Montague

The Nextstar is going to be harder to take off than the foamies, it won't have the same power to leap off the ground or out of your hand.

And in the air, the Nextstar will be moving faster than the foamies.

I acutally had a student not long ago that spent a lot of time flying a couple of foamies around. He could fly them in winds that kept most of the glow guys on the ground, and was pretty darn good with them.

Then he went up on his glow trainer with an instructor, and very nearly splattered the thing. It took him several flights to adjust to the speed and get rid of some of the bad foamie habits.

The time on the foamies helped him learn over all, because once he had a few flights on the trianer with an instructor he was ready to solo.

But from what I've seen, flying the planes you mention is differnet enough that I wouldn't suggest you try the Nextstar on your own quite yet.

You might consider a GWS E-Starter. I know, it's a "trainer", but it actually flys closer to a glow trianer than the planes you've mentioned. Work on controled flight in a small area, doing a basic pattern, take offs and landings going in a direction you set out in advance (rather than whatever way the plane happens to go).

For example, go to a ball field, and use a baseline as the runway. take off down it with out vearing, and land down it, keeping the plane straight. That kind of focus on percision will help with the glow plane.

And no matter what, going up with an instructor for even one flight on the Nextstar is better safe than sorry. That's the big thing, is the risk worth it?
Old 03-06-2006, 10:25 PM
roltech

ORIGINAL: elenasgrumpy

While you may or may not be ready to fly the NexStar is a question only you can answer. After killing many small electrics planes on my own. I decided to heed the advice of the experienced ppl in here & go the Instructor route. In my case it didn't work, lost them both to cancer (as instructors, they're are still with us) . So I too bought the NexStar, & simmed myself to death until I actually did land it on the roof in ridiculous wind settings, set right down the roof like a Heli & then took back off again. That was when I decided i was ready & went to the field & soloed by myself. The main difference betweeen the way I did it & the way roltech did it is the insurance! I joined the AMA first before I ever tried to fly a plane & got my name on the waiting list for the local club I wanted to join. By doing that & allready having made friends within in the club (by attending their meetings) I was allowed to guest fly since I was an AMA member.
So I soloed by myself at an AMA chartered site with my AMA card on the freq. board.

Just because I may have found a place way out away from any ppl doesn't mean I could keep the plane out there. If the plane would have got away from me & it allmost did on the maiden flight because I didn't turn off the AFS, there's no telling how far that plane would have flown itself & what possible damge to property or personal injury it may have caused. Luckily that didn't happen I got lucky & managed to get it back & it was far enough away the it was just a tiny speck in the sky. The point is if I had lost it & hurt somene I had AMA coverage because I was observing AMA safety rules when I did this.

Going out & flying it several times & then joing the MAAC is a ricky business. While I respect the fact that it is your business, & your choice to make, I certainly wouldn't suggest it to others.

I think with some recent sim time to get your thumbs back, & the AFS off, that yes you probably can solo a NexStar by yourself, but I would certainly get AMA membership first so you are insured if something does go wrong as long as you are observing their safety rules & regs.

A little tip while using your sim, turn the AFS off learn to fly without it. It works great everytime in the sim, but it's junk in real life. Then turn the wind up, I mean way up to where you're hovering & flying backwards, when you can set it down on the house or even close in 25mph with 50mph gusts, you'll be ready. Good Luck.
The difference is I started in the fall when the flying clubs were closed for the winter, another thing I did not even know about MAAC or AMA. It was only in the following spring I started to look for a club and was told I would have to get MAAC before I was able to fly at this club. I never used the AFS with the sim or real time. But I tried it after getting my wings just to see how it works so if anybody ask I can tell them since I tried it. as far as flying far enough away from the city and the plane could get away from you at the club and where I was, the thing was that I had with me one of possibly more experience than most of us
he's been flying for over 35 years, and he would of taken the control from me before anything happened.
I must add! and did before, is if all possible is to get an instructor, you can save yourself a lot of grief.

roltech
Old 03-06-2006, 10:42 PM
roltech

ORIGINAL: rdavico

I know this gets asked a lot, but my case is just a little different. I have flown my Nexstar a couple flights on a buddy box, and did OK with it. My instructor is a great guy, but our schedules conflict pretty regularly. I havent flown the Nexstar in 8 or 9 weeks, and have never taken off or landed it. Here's where it gets interesting.. A little while back, I was so anxious to start flying that I decided to get an electric plane that I could mess around with during the week while waiting to fly with the instructor on the weekend. I figured it would be cheap and not the end of the world if I wreck it. Well, it wasn't exactly what I would call cheap by the time I had charger, batteries, etc, but at least the planes themselves arent too expensive. The first electric I bought was a Great Planes Yak 55 flightflex foamie. I had a few crashes, did a lot of repairing, and got to where I could fly it around pretty good. I knew the Yak was not a begginer's plane, but I am just stubborn that way I guess. After a while the plane looked like junk with all the repair jobs I decided to get another plane. This time I picked up a GP P-51 foamie. Again it was definitely not a begginer's plane, but I wanted to find something that was going to work with the electronics, batteries, etc. from the Yak. I took it off, and everything was great. It was faster than the Yak, but it was OK. A couple minutes into the flight, for some reason I had a brain dump, and for a split second it was like I had never held a radio in my hands in my life. That was all it took, and I smacked it right into the ground. I was frustrated, and figured I need to forget about it and go back to waiting for the weekend to fly with the instructor. A couple days later, I was over it, had already spent all this money on lipos, receivers, servos, etc., that I had to continue, and bought a cap 580 "flat out" foamie. again, not a begginer's plane. Well, I have not crashed it yet, but have had a few close calls, but for the most part, I am actually flying this thing. The landing gear is definitely not intended for grass or dirt, so I havent had a smooth landing yet. It is extremely hard to fly in even a little bit of wind, buy I have leqarned to deal with it.

Now I am looking at my Nexstar again, and trying to decide if I should attempt to fly it solo. I know it is easier to fly than the foamies, but it is also more expensive. I am looking at it like it is the real thing, and the others were just toys. I know that this is wrong. What do you think? Should I be able to take off and land my Nexstar with the foamie experience I have had? BTW, I put a lot of time in on my Aerofly deluxe before I had this great idea of trying to fly a little "toy" electric all by myself.

Thanks,
Rich

Now look what you started

Good luck with any of your decision! You and only you can do that, but if you can? get an instructor It's still the way to go and you won't ruffle any feathers with asking questions (above) and like me and others will all have a different answer. You don't have to do what I did or anyone else, as long as you have safety in mind. Have fun.

roltech
Old 03-06-2006, 11:45 PM
elenasgrumpy

I understand what you're saying roltech. I'm surprised that your friend with 35 yrs flying experience never mentioned anything to ya about the MAAC or AMA.[&:] The important thing is ya got it done safely, no harm-no foul right?
Old 03-07-2006, 12:10 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: Mode One

Roltech, My response was not in reply to you; but, was a response to the original poster, Rdavico. R/CUniverse automatically places (In reply to) [very confusingly I might add] in the next post no matter if it has anything to do with the previous poster or not!
If you just type in the 'quick reply' box at the end of the page you are replying to the last poster.

If you click the 'reply' icon on the post you want to reply to it sets the 'in reply to' the way you'd want it to.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:06 AM
JD380
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: carrellh

If you just type in the 'quick reply' box at the end of the page you are replying to the last poster.

If you click the 'reply' icon on the post you want to reply to it sets the 'in reply to' the way you'd want it to.
I was wondering about that 'in reply to' thingy myself. [8D]
Thanks carrellh.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:26 AM
Johnmpa

Yes...Start with something more forgiving, like a bigger high wing foamy or electric, maybe even a sailplane (much slower, but teaches you the basic flying techinques). I started with a Yellow Bee, then a Accieptor Badius, then a sailplane, then a Duraplane, and finaaly a Nexstar. I started flying last summer, too a short break over the winter season, and now I try to go daily to a huge open field (with a runway I cut myself) to fly. The trick is to be automatic with your response ( fly away from you or towards you should not tax your mind). Remember, when flying a gas, right after takeoff, power down, trim and enjoy. I think I may build me a low wing flyer. Good Luck.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:23 PM
roltech

I understand what you're saying roltech. I'm surprised that your friend with 35 yrs flying experience never mentioned anything to ya about the MAAC or AMA.[&:] The important thing is ya got it done safely, no harm-no foul right?
At the time he did not belong to clubs, he spends most of the time in the US FL. in winter, I only see him in spring and the fall, he also has a place out hear near a beach. he recommeded me to join a club, and the rest was club rules. I learned a lot just listening about RC model plane, he was also the one recommended that I get the Nexstar.
But like some one else mentioned you don't have to get an instructor or join a club. we all would like to really see all RC's to join a club and get an instructor, but so far it's not the law here anyways. and to push the issue to anyone who are not, is IMOP it's not right, the only reason we would like to see all to join, is to protect us, from bad rep, and safety, of others. Anyway we all know what is the right thing to do.

roltech
Old 03-07-2006, 09:04 PM
KidEpoxy

As a self taugh streetflyer, I may have a different view on this topic...
But I dont.

Along the lines of Montague & Johnmpa, I belive you can gain tons of valuable experience and instinct with a foamie, but with THE RIGHT FOAMIE. Get a foamie that reflects how the Nexstar will fly, not some 3dextreem thing. The GWS E-Starter is good for basics, and the GWS Formosa will give a more Nexstar flight.
Consider the foamie a educational tool, not a hobby toy. You are not there to see if you can loop or hover, Run the Pattern. Practice strait takeoffs, just takeoff- pattern- land a bunch of times. Run one charge down just working on takeoffs, who cares if the landing was rough in the lawn. Then take the gear off and run a charge down working on the landings. Both help you get used to correcting, identifying the plane orientation at range, and inbound/outbound orientation.

Use the foamie as a learning tool, not a toy. Think up a "lesson plan" for the day and practice things that will apply to the Nexstar. Hovering is not flying.

I scratch built a plane, a twin... took off, did ok for 1.5 minutes.... one dumbthumb later I was picking up balsa confetti. Got a tame foamie & learned to fly: Fly, Crash, epoxy & propshaft, Fly. When I was down to just "bad landings", I got a real plane.... and a whole bunch of props.... lots & lots of props
Old 03-07-2006, 11:50 PM
elenasgrumpy

But like some one else mentioned you don't have to get an instructor or join a club. we all would like to really see all RC's to join a club and get an instructor, but so far it's not the law here anyways. and to push the issue to anyone who are not, is IMOP it's not right, the only reason we would like to see all to join, is to protect us, from bad rep, and safety, of others. Anyway we all know what is the right thing to do.

roltech
That's the point I was trying to make. We're on the same page.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:59 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

But like some one else mentioned you don't have to get an instructor or join a club. we all would like to really see all RC's to join a club and get an instructor, but so far it's not the law here anyways. and to push the issue to anyone who are not, is IMOP it's not right, the only reason we would like to see all to join, is to protect us, from bad rep, and safety, of others.
Self protection is far from the only reason many of us strongly recommend club membership and instruction. We also do it because we know that the odds of success are much higher and that someone with a positive learning experience, rather than many cycles of crash/repair, is much more likely to stay with the hobby.

As far as the assertion that we shouldn't be "pushing the issue", this is a beginner's forum. People come here for advice. Many of us will do what we can to make sure people know ALL OF THE FACTS, rather than just responding "go for it" when someone comes here saying they are thinking of going it on their own. It's fairly common for someone to consider trying on their own because a) they think instruction will be expensive, b) they think flying is easier than it really is or c) they think there are no nearby clubs. Having a frank discussion about these issues helps the potential student learn their options. If at the end of the discussion, they still decide to go it on their own, so be it, at least it's an informed decision.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.