Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

H9 Ultra Stick 60 for 2nd plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

H9 Ultra Stick 60 for 2nd plane?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 06:22 AM
dave0101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 Ultra Stick 60 for 2nd plane?

I ran into a used H9 Ultra Stick, with an OS91 4 stroke, 7 servos, four of which are high torque (I didn't pay too much attention to the model of the servos). Condition is excellent.

It has the quad flap option. My guess is this is too much plane for a second plane, just curious what others think. It is a fair deal, but there is no reason to push it. I recently purchased a 9C radio, so I'm sure the plane could be somewhat tamed with the computer radio, but I don't know anyone to help me with the radio programing, and have not messed with the radio much yet (it could turn out easy, I'm just not there yet!)

I have a 4*60 kit, but it's going to take me a long time to put it together, I have two young kids and work a lot.

Thanks for any comments!
Old 12-09-2002, 06:59 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A US 60 is a great second model. Once you understand the radio programming and tuning a 4C engine you will find it a very easy airplane to fly. I am using US 40s for a couple of primary students beause they fly so well.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:28 PM
splitess
My Feedback: (2)

dave0101,

The H9 Ultra Stick 60 is a excellent second plane. I have one with a YS 91. It is by far one of the easiest planes to fly. Floats in for real slow landings and os very aerobatic. My second plane was a 40 size stick which I had no problem with but the 60 size with a four stroke engine is a good choice for your #2 plane. 4*60 is a good plane but I don't recommend a low wing as a second plane.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:57 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

The programming is no problem. Hangar 9 has instructions for all the JR radios in their manual. You can download it from Horizon's website if you want a peek.

My US40 flys great, and is very easy to handle.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:11 PM
dave0101

Thanks for the comments all...

I'm sure this question is naive, but....

the quad flaps (I don't know what terminology applies here, but that seems to be the term used in the description for this plane on Horizon's web site), is that going to cause problems?

I will check out the manual, Thanks!
Old 12-09-2002, 06:52 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by dave0101
Thanks for the comments all...
the quad flaps (I don't know what terminology applies here, but that seems to be the term used in the description for this plane on Horizon's web site), is that going to cause problems?
They will not cause any problems if you don't use them... They are surprisingly fun to play with, but you don't even have to enable them to simply fly the US models. Start slowly and only program in the ailerons. Then, once you feel more confident add the flaps. IMHO that's one of the nicest characteristics of this model -- it can be just about anything from a 4 channel trainer to a 7 channel aerobat...
Old 12-09-2002, 07:39 PM
TerrellFlyer

Hi dave0101,the US makes a nice second and up flying plane,if using as a second plane just keep the throws mild and leave the wild programming along till your skills are ready,for that plane the engine is mild,but as a second plane you may think other wise,plane is a lot of fun ,think you'll like it.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:45 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

I would buy that plane if I were you. I have the exact same setup and it's a blast!
Old 12-10-2002, 07:12 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

I've had one in the box all summer awaiting eng and radio. You guys are really making me wish mine was done. My second airplane was a GP Bigstick 40 and I got almost 1000 flights out of it. What a blast!
Old 12-11-2002, 12:13 AM
dave0101

If it's still available when i get back in town, I'm buying it! Thanks all!
Old 12-12-2002, 02:01 AM
STEVEN11

Default ULT STK

I'VE GOT THE .60 ULTRA STICK, GREAT PLANE IT IS NOT TO MUCH FOR A SECOND PLANE, VERY EASY TO FLY , I LIKE THE QUAD FLAPS SET UP ON MINE, IT MAKES FOR GREAT TAKE OFFS IN ABOUT 6FT TO VERTICAL AND VERY SHORT LANDINGS, YOU COULD GO AHEAD AND PUT THEM ON AND JUST CONFIGURE IT WITH YOUR COMP RADIO TO PUT THE FLAPS WITH THE AILES FOR FULL SPAN UNTIL YOU GET COMFORTABLE WITH IT FOR A WHILE, YOU WILL LOVE THE PLANE.

STEVEN11