Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need help : Trainer cord, Futaba with JR

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need help : Trainer cord, Futaba with JR

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 04:13 PM
schokshi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help : Trainer cord, Futaba with JR

Hello,
I've just got 3-4 flights so far. My instructor told me to get buddy box. I have Futaba 9C radio installed in the plane & have another JR 6 channel radio (XF622) as a spare.

I do have a cable that came with G3 Realflight with one end single pin & other end square connector. I tried inserting single pin in JR with power off mode & JR transmitter's power came up automatically. I believe 9C has a square trainer connector. Can I use this cord to connnect it to my Futaba (Master) with JR (Slave) as a buddy box.

Thanks for your help
Old 04-20-2006, 05:43 PM
YNOT

Default RE: Need help : Trainer cord, Futaba with JR

There is a cord that will allow for a Futaba to JR buddy box, however I don't think the G3 cord will do it.

Try it and see if it works, if not hit the hobby shop and pick up the correct cord.

Old 04-21-2006, 08:59 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

The JR to Futaba cord is produced by JR--and can be found on horizon's website. However, it is JUST JR to futaba, not the other way around. In other words, the JR would have to be the master. One option would be to change the rx to use the JR as master, then get one of the cables and use the futaba as the buddy box. The advantage of this would be that you, the student, would have the futaba in your hand--and be getting used to it, and not the JR!!!
Old 04-26-2006, 07:23 AM
alan0899

Gday I think it's possible your instructor meant for you to buy a Futaba buddy lead that fits your radio, because that way you can use your TX as the master which the instructor will hold & use another compatable Futaba TX as the salve. Especially if the instructor has a Futaba TX that you can use while learning.
Best wishes from Austalia.
PS. A bad day at the flying field is always better than a good day at work.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:26 PM
jradley
My Feedback: (3)

we tried tonight to train a new club member but he has the new JR mustang with a JR radio, we all have Hitec and Futaba, he has the trainer cord which says JR to Futaba on it. We pluged it in and it won't work. Does the slave have to have a battery and be turned on or do we have a different problem?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:23 AM
Ken Erickson

Had the same problem with three of those Hangar 9 cords. You have to circumcise the DIN plug. Cut about 1/8 in. of the rubber from it. The problem will be solved, as the plug will now go into the jack on the Futaba transmitter.

Hangar 9 support will not admit this, even though they have been informed.

Ken, AMA 19352

Edited 1.8 to 1/8
Old 05-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Ken Erickson

For those who do not have access to the instructions:

Whereas Futaba uses four wires and powers the slave from the battery in the Master, JR uses only two wires. Therefore the slave must have its own battery for power. To get the power, you must turn the on the slave.

As you do not want the slave to be radiating a signal, you remove the crystal before turning on the slave.

The above is covered in the instructions.

What is not covered is that the DIN plug has too much rubber on it and does not make proper contact in the Futaba buddy-box. So you cut away 1/8 in. of that rubber.

It does work.

Ken, AMA 19352
Old 05-03-2006, 02:45 PM
sfsjkid

Actually, it just may be that JR's research is lacking. I've found that the plug will not fit my 9z, but fits fine in a lot of the basic 4-6 channel boxes. I do agree that it is a pain though.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:30 PM
acxavier

Hi Folks,

I just bought one JR trainer link that enable you to use the JR as master and the Futaba as slave. But my futaba has the square connector, so I need to buy the Hangar 9 Han 174 which can connect the 6 pin Din with the 6 pin square.

It didn't work. Does somebody knows if the square connector needs also to be "circumcised"also to go into the Futaba?

Tony
Old 05-15-2006, 06:18 PM
Ken Erickson

Don't know about that one, sorry.

I noticed that my previous post says "1.8 off". should be "1/8 in. off". going in to try to edit.

Ken, AMA 19352
Old 05-17-2006, 04:03 PM
sfsjkid

ORIGINAL: acxavier

Hi Folks,

I just bought one JR trainer link that enable you to use the JR as master and the Futaba as slave. But my futaba has the square connector, so I need to buy the Hangar 9 Han 174 which can connect the 6 pin Din with the 6 pin square.

It didn't work. Does somebody knows if the square connector needs also to be "circumcised"also to go into the Futaba?

Tony
Tony did you have the Futaba powered up (with crystal removed)?
Old 05-18-2006, 06:15 AM
jradley
My Feedback: (3)

trainer cord works fine now, didn't have slave power on.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:24 PM
acxavier

Hi sfsjkid
ORIGINAL: sfsjkid

ORIGINAL: acxavier

Hi Folks,

Tony
Tony did you have the Futaba powered up (with crystal removed)?
Yes I did everything by the book, but seems that the HAN174 connection doesn´t perfectly fit the FUTABA female in the radio.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:42 PM
sneezy

Hey guy's,
Any of you acually got a JR student radio to work with a Futaba (Master) radio in the field ? If so I have a question.

JR uses Ch1 for throttle out of the reciever, Futaba radios uses Ch3 out of the receiver. What happens to your plane when you work the trainer switch on the Futaba ? On the surface it looks to me like you would have a swap of channels between throttle/ailerons etc between the two brands ?

Anyone know what will happen ?

cheers
Martin