Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First flight of season, First crash of season

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First flight of season, First crash of season

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 04:10 PM
goneflyin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First flight of season, First crash of season

Hello All,

It was my first flight of the season. It was a beautiful April afternoon, the wind was low. Looked like a perfect time to take to the sky. I did the standard range check, went over the plane, check all the control surfaces, made sure everything was operating properly. Fired up the engine, tuned it up. Then shut the engine down. Took a deep breath, and decided to take it up. Well did a long take off roll, it didn't seem like it wanted to take off. I then pulled quite a bit of elevator and she lifted off. It was downhill from there. I had to use most of the elevator just to keep it up. It was a constant fight. Tried trimming it out, but I was fighting too much to keep it up. And the trees got the plane. I probably should have stopped when I had to force it off the ground. One of the spectators noticed it was nose down during take off. I know the control surface was level, I think the problem was with the amount of downthrust the plane had. Since it was the first flight of the season, I probably should have got an instructor to help out with the plane or at least stood by me. Now I am questioning my flying abilities... I really didn't care about that plane too much, wasn't a huge loss, but I don't want to do the same thing again. My other planes are more aerobatic and less forgiving. I was hoping to use that plane to get back flying. I have been flying for around three years now. Time to hop back in the saddle, and see what happens.

Later.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:36 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: First flight of season, First crash of season

bummer sorry to hear of your first loss of the season what trainer was it .total loss? my trainer is a glue bomb but still flying!
Old 04-23-2006, 04:39 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

What engine are you running and what plane. Almost sounds like you are rediculously under powered. Were you at full power the whole time? Also, make sure nest time that your throttle trim is adjusted properly. Mabey the barrel to your carburator wasn't opening all the way. The only time something like that has happened to me was when i somehow, without my kwoledge, ran the engine way to rich. It wasn't that bad though and i was able toland safely.

I didn't catch if it was electric or nitro.

Don't questions your abilites, it sounds like something with the engine went wrong, not something with you.
By the way, if you want a plane to practice with, without having to wory about crashing, get a duraplane. I learned to fly on one of those and ran it straight into the ground 3 times. Was easy to repair.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:10 AM
jetmech05

the old addage applies here take offs are always opitional. did you give it a little down elevator to build up airspeed once you had some altitude? do you think you stalled her?
Old 04-25-2006, 07:34 PM
samolot
My Feedback: (14)

did you tune the engine good? This happened to me a few times, and i took to the air, at least i had enough throttle to keep it slow and low, so i put her down immidietaly and it turned out it was waaay toooo rich. I know how you must have felt at takeoff, i am always tempted to take to the air, i mean, i didnt waste all this time checking and tuning just to bring her back in, but it does pay off.

samolot
Old 04-25-2006, 09:01 PM
ugdrummer08

Don't feel bad. I watched a guy with a pretty nice prop-driven F4 Phantom cart wheel it into the ground on takeoff. Actually, he was on a buddy box with a guy to help trim it and whatnot, and Eddie cart wheeled it. The problem? He forgot to switch models in his TX. So, you shouldn't feel bad at all.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:27 AM
bluestratos

If you had adaquate power then you may have been way too nose heavy. Was it properly checked for CG?

Regards,
Randy