Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

ANOTHER BTE VENTURE BUILD

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

ANOTHER BTE VENTURE BUILD

Old 05-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Buteos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANOTHER BTE VENTURE BUILD

OK guys, I have never built a plane well at last since I was a bout 14 that is and I'm 55 now and I need some help. I can read and have read the booklet that I got with the kit but there are a few things that I need to know...before I start. I know that you line the ribs up starting with the root rib on the main spar and how to set it and on installing the shear webs. What I don't know, even after reading all of the posts here on the Venture are the things that most take for granted. I need those "things" that are known but not stated because "everyone" knows them...guess what.....I don't know them but want to. So any information you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated, I don't want this to be my last build and the next will be more difficult than the first.....
Old 05-03-2006, 03:15 AM
Johan_nl

Default RE: ANOTHER BTE VENTURE BUILD

Hi Buteos,

You probably seen the other Venture build thread in this forum. I'm happy to help as are all the others in this forum.

Nort sure what you want to know at this stage, but to get started a few things of the top of my head:

- Make sure you have a perfectly flat surface to build on. One you can push pins in.
- If you don't want to cut up your plans you can first make a copy at a copycenter somehwere
- protect your plan using wax paper or (my preferenc) using 'painters-plastic' you can buy at any DIY shop
- Measure twice, cut once
- You can use woodglue or CA, I prefer woodglue for the wing but it's a matter of preference
- don't hurry

Specifically for the wing of the Venture:
- make sure you identify the wing-ribs before building (W1-W4).
- pin the main spar to the plans and use the ribs to align the rear-sheeting and other spars
- start glueing the ribs in the order explained in the manual
- use the shear-webs to align the ribs at the correct distance from eachother
- make sure you build a left wing and a right wing!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask! This is a relatively easy kit to build, everything fits together very well. Just take your time!

Best regards and good luck!

Johan

Old 05-03-2006, 12:12 PM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

I'm also starting a Venture 60 in the next few days, so if you want to compare notes as the building process takes place we can certainly do so. Since I'm balancing job/finishing basement/building airplanes this probably means no more than a couple of hours a night, so if you're trying to build it in a few days I'll slow you down.

But everything Johan mentioned is dead on: build it on a flat surface, get an extra set of plans to put on the wall so you can see the forest (the whole fuse/wing) as you're glueing together the trees (ribs, formers, etc.), and don't get in a rush. Spending one extra night to get something right pays dividends when the plane's 200 feet in the air.

There's also a great RC Plane contruction website "www.airfieldmodels.com" that's got great building tips and many "how-to" items that will help.

Fred
Old 05-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Johan_nl

Buteos,

One more thing...I seem to remember that in another thread you mentioned you were going to go for the dual aileron. If you do, don't forget to drill the holes in the wing ribs....It was the first task I did with my build, was a bit strange since the first step is immediatly a 'mod', but you don't want to forget since you'll otherwise be in trouble later.

Johan
Old 05-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Missileman

Think ahead,(I am guilty of not doing this myself)
Think of how you plan on running the wiring to your wing servos.
I like to use Estes bt5 rocket body tube (1/2" diameter, perfect for protecting the wiring running through the ribs) but it has to be installed while you are building the ribs and before you glue anything in the way of passing the tube in (like the inner wing rib)
Estes rocket body tubes can be bought in packages of 5 tubes for about $1.50 at most hobby stores that sell model rockets.
That is just one idea, think ahead on any assembly.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Buteos

I built the right wing last night in about 3 hours. I layed everything out dry to make sure I had it all right and all the pieces were there. All went very well and yes, I did place the holes in the ribs for the servo wire for the ailerons as well as the ones that are recommended to allow heat to escape when covering. Tonight I want to reglue all of my joints with medium CA and lay out the servo bay. I didn't sheet the bottom of the wing as yet due to having to place the block for the wing dowels. If it isn't too late I will start on the left wing in the hope of getting it close to completion. Question..is it better to wait until the covering in on before you make the slots for the hinges?
Old 05-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Missileman

I make slots before covering and then cut out the covering around the slot after covered.
make a paper template of where your slots are so you can find them easily after covering.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Buteos

OK, just wanted to check ...by the book is not always easiest....
Old 05-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Missileman

In fact the more I think of it, it is best to slot and dry fit all your control surfaces before covering.
You may have to notch something here or sand something there to get smooth operation and good fit.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Buteos

OK, second wing is built but I still need to trim the spars and sand. Its dry but the fumes from the CA are killing me.....no windows in the basement....[]
Old 05-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Buteos

I have just about finished the wings but have to install the dowels before I finish the bottom sheeting. I am now installing the framework for the aileron servos. Let me know what you think up to this point.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40435.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	456598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27284.jpg
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	456599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89631.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	456600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl26956.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	456601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg53829.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	456602  
Old 05-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Buteos

I got the wing all assembled and I am starting on the fuse. I want to make some changes in hte shape and location of the cockpit. A cowl will also be built following several post here on the Venture 60 as well as the 4* 60.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:41 PM
vwtrey
My Feedback: (5)

I see a lot of you stress using a flat surface, that you can push pins into. What do you use for this?

trey
Old 05-11-2006, 04:35 AM
Johan_nl

Hi Trey,

When you build it is very important not to build any warps into your wings or fuselage (it will negatively affect the flying characteristics of your plane). So to ensure you get a straight and flat wing you need to build on a flat surface. What I use is a inhouse door I bought at a DIY shop ($40 or so) and on top of that something we call 'softboard' over here. Used a lot for insulation etc. really cheap.

You use pins (T-Pins usually) to make sure your assembly doesn't move while glueing. Basicall you pin through the balsa into the 'pinnable surface'. This ensures things stay put while the glue dries.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:43 AM
Johan_nl

Hi Buteos,

It's looking good to me!!!!

As you may have seen in the other Venture thread I maidened mine last weekend.

Since you were asking for the 'non-obvious' tips earlier on, here's one concerning the dual aileron-servo mod. When you hinge your Ailerons ignore the hinge locations on the plans. Those are layed out to take into account the control horn for the single servo setup, this control horn provides strength on the inboard tip of the aileron.

With the dual servo setup you will not have that control horn on the tip and therefore if you use the standard hinge locations you will end up with a Aileron tip that can move freely in the wind (flutter comes to mind).

How do I now???? Sufice to say I now have Ailerons hinged using 5 hinges instead of 4 and two of them are fairly close together . I'm just glad I noticed on time to correct it on my Venture.

Johan
Old 05-11-2006, 05:04 AM
Buteos

Thanks Johan, thanks for the tip on the aileron hinges, I have a few extra's so I will throw them in. I also build on a door and was able to pick up a package of ceiling tile 2'x 4' for next to nothing due to damage on the back of one sheet. I figure I'm good for about 16 builds or so I am installing a Saito 100 inverted and will be bulding a cowl, I also want to move thre cockpit a little farther back. I'm in no big hurry to finish this but will maintain a constant speed until done. How did your maiden turn out...great I hope!
Old 05-11-2006, 05:38 AM
Johan_nl

Hi Buteos,

I think if you plan for a hinge on both aileron tips and then 2 distributed evenly between them (so total 4) you should be ok. Ofcourse having 5 won't hurt but I don't hink it's necessary.

I'd be interested to see how your cowl turns out in the end!

The maiden went absolutely fine, she flies beautifully. As you may have read I did have a little landing mishap on the Saturday that tore out the landing-gear block but that turned out to be very easy to repair and she was back in the air on Sunday!

Johan
Old 05-11-2006, 08:40 AM
theo63

buteos,looking good so far,i would have liked to build a cowl for mine but i do not have the time this time around,so when you do build the cowl lets see some pictures id like to see how you do it. i like flying it so much ill probably build another this winter and do some more mods myselve when ill have the time when the snow flies
Old 10-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Buteos

Its been quite a while but things are again on schedule.......give hints or tips if you have them....
Old 10-29-2006, 04:15 PM
Buteos

Here are a few photos...fire away!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36233.jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	550612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40963.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	550613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19972.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	550614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp40898.jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	550615  
Old 10-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Sneasle

looking good.

I must also stress the importance of a flat surface to build on. Doors are actually wonderful things to use for this. I would use a door if i had the room, but my space is limited and a door is a bit heavy to move around and setup for a building session.

What I did is built a foldable table that uses wodden tv dinner trays as the legs. I put one table on each end of a 1" thick x2'x4' peice of plywood. I drilled holes in the ply wood and installed what are basically blind nuts, but take a 1/4" bolt. I put 4 of these bolts through each table into the ply wood.

Then I glued down a peice of what was labeled as "project board" which is most easily describes as 1/4" x2'x4' made of very densily compressed paper. On top of that I glued down 1/4" or cork board and on top of that I placed a 2'x4' peice of ceiling tile (upside down, white side down). I makes a sturdy, but moveable surface that packs awy in a small area and that is perfect for building off of plans.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:05 AM
Buteos

Thanks Sneasle, this is my first build and I have tried to be very careful. I build on a hollow core door and ceiling tiles supported by 4 very strong shipping crates. There are no twists or bows that I was able to see while on the board so it should fly frairly straight. This is also my first covering job and there have been times when I was tempted to remove my shoes and socks and use my feet as an extra set of hands, The cowl design was borrowed from Damafrio and actually was fairly easy to do, it covers a Saito 100. I also installed the dual servo bays and will mount the elevator and rudder servos in the rear. The wheel pants are finished and I will install them after the covering is finished and the control surfaces are installed.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Sneasle

for just getting back to the hobby, that looks damn good.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:26 AM
Buteos

Thank you very much...
Old 10-31-2006, 07:24 AM
RhyanO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you drill the hole through the ribs for installing the servo wire?
What type of drill bit did you use? Just curious.

Thanks,
Ryan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.