Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How is the G-75 Ringed Super Tiger?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How is the G-75 Ringed Super Tiger?

Old 05-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Flyer 202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is the G-75 Ringed Super Tiger?

I was thinking of putting it in my mid star? It has plenty of power and if I wanted to I could put it in to my next plane cut down cost. I would set up the throttle so at full throttle it was at half or something like that. It has 2.2 HP so it would easily pull the plane. It also sound a lot like a real plane. What do you think?

Please respond : )

Flyer 202
Old 05-15-2006, 02:14 PM
Missileman

Default RE: How is the G-75 Ringed Super Tiger?

I have read some older post where some people don't like Super Tigre motors.
I have a G 90 myself and it seems to be a sweet running engine. Mind you that is on a test stand, it has not been in the air yet.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:10 PM
oldtyme

I have the G75 .....actually 4 of them. I have one in my H9 P47, I also have one for my TF P47 and AT6 Kits and a spare. A couple of the guys at our field have the ST90's and have absolutely no problems. I have a 90 as well so I'm well invested in the ST line. I have heard a lot of good things about them so would not be afraid to use yours.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Andy
Old 05-15-2006, 05:30 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I know that a current trend in this hobby is to "over power" a plane. But you can't always just shove a bigger motor in a plane. Too many people do that without taking into consideration the downside of over powering their planes, and the results are crashed planes. Trust me, I've seen more than I can count in the 10 years that I've been in this hobby.
1. One important thing to think about is wing loading. You're going to add a bunch of weight to an airframe, which is going to make the wing loading higher. I'm not talking about just the weight of the motor, because more than likely you're going to have to add weight to the tail of the plane in order to get the plane to balance correctly. This added weight is going to change the way the plane flies.
2. Another thing to think about it the actual airframe of the plane. You have to remember that the plane was designed to handle power output of a 40 sized motor. Putting a motor that is almost double the size it was designed for is going to add stress to the airframe. It's possible to strengthen the airframe of the plane to handle the added power, and this is going to add to the overall weight of the plane (see above). A lot of times people will add too much when they try to beef up the airframe, which just adds more to the weight issue. If the airframe isn't strengthened it's a real possibility that a bigger motor can tear the plane apart.
3. This isn't a downside of putting a bigger motor on a plane, but more it's a downside for flying. A lot of pilots these days use a big motor as a crutch when they fly. Instead of learning to actually fly the plane, they will put a huge motor on the plane that can pull the plane out of any situation. IMHO this actually hinders a pilots skills.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't put it on there, but I just wanted to give you a few things to think about. I know that it's a common practice these days to over power a plane, but I think it's a mistake to do that. IMHO you should go with the biggest motor that the plane designers call for. In some cases you can miss out on a really sweet plane by putting a motor on it that it wasn't designed for.

Just my 2¢ worth

Ken
Old 05-15-2006, 06:48 PM
broke_n_bummin

Something else too... Alot of the .40 size ARf's and kits are built to handle a .70 4 Stroke. You slide a .40 LA in it, and you'll have to add almost the equivelant of another engine in weight to even get clost to ballancing on the CG (although trainers are a different story). There's not that much difference in weight between a .70 FS and a G75. If you're going to do it anyways, you don't have to adjust the throttle, just put a smaller prop on it ... like 11x7 or so.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:29 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I'm going to have to agree with some of the other comments here, the question you should be asking is, "How is the Super Tigre G-50 Ringed Motor." If you want screaming performance on a Mid Star, a Super Tigre .50, an O.S. .50 SX, or a Magnum .52A XLS would be more logical choices. The Super Tigre G-75 should be for souping up a .60-sized airplane, not for breaking the sound barrier in a .40-sized airframe.

A Super Tigre G-75 would throw off the CG significantly, your extra power would be robbed by forcing you to add significant weight to the tail in order to balance the airframe. The extra wing loading that the heavier engine and the tail weight would cause would completely alter the Mid Star's glide characteristics and adversely affect the handling of the plane in many different ways. The extra power up front would also put additional stress on the plane's firewall and control linkages. A G-75 would lead to much shorter flight times as it would suck the fuel tank dry in half the time a .46 motor would.

All of this will add up to a poor handling plane with a short life expectancy. A more balanced approach will lead to a much more enjoyable flying experience. Any of the .50 sized two-strokes I mentioned previously should give your Mid Star outrageous performance if properly tuned and propped.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Flyer202,
I have a Super Tigre 75 and have flown the heck out of it in a Great Planes 40 size P-51D Mustang. I use Wildcat 10% nitro with 16% castor fuel and an OS #8 glow plug. Good combination with no over heating problems and plenty of power. Good luck.
"Keep 'Em Flying!"
Flak
Old 05-15-2006, 09:35 PM
Flyer 202

Thank you all for the help i have decided to try a GS-51 Ringed in my Mid Star instead of the monster 75.

Happy flying : )

Flyer 202
Old 05-17-2006, 05:39 PM
Norm Nestie

Good choice.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:59 PM
carrellh

If the SIG web site is right, your plane should weigh around 5 pounds. I'm thinking that G-51 should produce well over 5 pounds of thrust so you should have outstanding performance. The recommended two stroke range is .30-.40 so you're really at the top end of the scale. One of our club members talks highly of the Mid-Star and I've seen him fly his; I think you'll be pleased with your decision.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:39 PM
ptmac3
My Feedback: (3)

I have a ST/G-51 in a Pica Rapier II swinging an 11-6 on 10% fuel. 54" wing span, weighs about 5lbs. Let me tell you, it is a rocket! I also have a ST/GS-45 in a Sig Mid Star swinging a 10-6 on 10% fuel. It is PLENTY fast. And what a sweet flying airplane. You will like it, to be sure.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Flyer 202

Thanks for the loads of information it is relay helping out.

Flyer 202
Old 05-06-2009, 07:15 PM
jorgelog
My Feedback: (1)

do still have the pica rapier cause im looking for one