Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How do you grip your sticks?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How do you grip your sticks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 04:45 PM
LT-40
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you grip your sticks?

How do you hold your transmiter sicks? I usually just use my thumbs but it seems that the more experienced pilots use their thumbs and pointer fingers to sort of pinch the sticks. Is there a real advantage to using two fingers instead of one? I mean, why would you use two fingers?, because to me it is much more comfortable to just use thumbs. When I try to use two I do fine, but I'm more slopy on the controls. Anyways, I was just wondering and if there is an advantage to using both fingers than I would like to know about it so that I can start practicing with both fingers.

LT-40
Old 07-06-2006, 04:55 PM
tuwood

Default RE: How do you grip your sticks?

There's a pretty good thread about this from a few weeks back: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4317133
General consensus is do what feels most comfortable to you. I use thumbs because it just feels right to me, whereas many others are just the opposite.

You'll find many top pilots use thumbs and many use the pinch.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:58 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

LT-40,
This is a very hotly debated subject not only here on RCU but in the RC world too. You can find professional pilots that hold the transmitter both ways. One of the most notable that uses thumbs only is Quique Somenzini. I talked to him in Toledo this about this very subject. He said that he prefers to use his thumbs for flying. I know that there are going to be plenty of people come on here and tell you the advantages for both methods, but from what I've seen it's best to do what you feel comfortable with. I tell all my students the same thing. I myself use my thumbs, but I have had students that use the finger pinch for control. That's how the were using the radio while they were learning, and as long as they could control the plane I had no reason to try and change they way they did it.

So to boil it all down I would say to use what you are comfortable with.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 07-06-2006, 04:59 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a discussion that has gone on for eternity. It boils down to individual preferences. Some of the best pilots in the world, Chip Hyde comes to mind, uses "thumb on top" method but a lot of pattern and 3D pilots use "pinch" control or a variant of it as well as many "fun" fliers. I would suggest you try both and whatever other methods you see or think of (that are safe) and try them. Then pick the method that works best for YOU and don't worry about what others say. You only have to please yourself out there. Same goes for deciding between mode 1 and mode 2. Don't worry - be happy. Is there a real advantage? They will all try to convince you that there is and for them there may be. I think each method has subtle benefits. I'm a thumb flyer and plan to stay that way.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:13 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many, many years ago..........

Back when slotcars were a hot, new attraction, and hobby shops were springing up that had HUGE slot tracks in them..........

Back in the 60s............

The speed controllers were single handheld things with a "thumb slide" that controlled the rheostat that fed the electricity to your car. To begin with, everyone held the controller by wrapping their fingers around it and placing their thumb on the throttle stick. Everybody did it instinctively. Nobody thought much about it until one day..........

The good fairly came down out of a silver cloud and..........
Duh..... wrong story...........

One day, some dude walked in and started wiping everyone out. The guy's slotcar didn't seem to ever wipe out and flip out of the slot. He hit his brake points spot on every time. And was back on the "gas" like he'd flipped a switch. Turns out he was working the throttle stick with his index finger. All his thumb was doing was what separates us humans from the apes. It was just wrapped around the thing opposite the other fingers, doing the prehensile thing.

Turns out that somebody at some hospital somewhere then did a big study that compared the use of the thumb versus the use of the index finger for controlling "functions requiring accuracy and speed". Guess what they found? OK, now guess how much money they got from the US gummit to do that important research!!!

You betcha..... the index finger is not only faster, but more very much more discerning than our clunky old thumbs. No lie.
(I did not make that up. (of course, I would have, had it not been true))
Old 07-06-2006, 05:18 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

If you were using a transmitter tray I could see where you might feel like you had more control for manuverability with the "pinch" method...remember I said "feel" so that you might think you had more control.....I am a thumber and always will be but since alot of my 1/2a planes are only 2 channel I also end up flying both mode 1 and 2 and its nothing to switch back and forth...Rog
Old 07-06-2006, 07:55 PM
RichD

someone wrangle those worms back into its can !
Old 07-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

I'm a thumber on planes but use fingertips on helicopters.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:25 PM
KidEpoxy

I may get labeled a freak, but I use Thumb on left stick & Pinch the Aileron/Ele.
I dont use a neckstrap, so I have to have a good grab on the transmitter, and cupping it into the left hand leaves only the thumb over there. Meanwhile, I can pinch the right using just a little heel to steady the TX.

Works for me, but I'm mostly a bank & yank flyer. Rudders are for folks with wheels on their planes.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Cyclic Hardover

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

I may get labeled a freak, but I use Thumb on left stick & Pinch the Aileron/Ele.
I

Looks like you have the best of both worlds eh?
Old 07-06-2006, 11:32 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pinch or thumb I dont think it matters I try it on the sim all the time, I find that mostly thumbs are on the sticks, I have large hands so pinching just puts fingers in the way where they are not needed
Old 07-07-2006, 09:39 AM
rhowardsta

I am currently being trained and my instructor tells me to us "pinch" method(threatened to smack my hands with a ruler! HA! HA!).After trying both ways I feel I get more precise control with pinch method.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:49 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: rhowardsta

I am currently being trained and my instructor tells me to us "pinch" method(threatened to smack my hands with a ruler! HA! HA!).After trying both ways I feel I get more precise control with pinch method.
IMO your instructor should not be so insistant. That being said, if that is the method you like - go for it.

For general sport flying you will not see much difference.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Stik-n-Rdr

Tried to force myself to use "pinch" method to give myself better access to switches on the radio. Funny how my thumbs always won out and ended up controlling the sticks by the end of the flights. I guess thumbs are more natural for me.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Cyclic Hardover

The pinch can be very important of precision aerobatics. I fly mainly speed type planes. So being a thumber is fine. From my experience watching generic 3d, they could probably use their feet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28031.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	488416  
Old 07-07-2006, 11:04 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

No, the pinch is NOT very important in precision aerobatics. Some of the best (if not THE best, QS is the man) precision pilots use thumbs, and noted in this and other threads on this subject.

The question offered by the posted is legitimate, but the answer is not easy. In general, precision tasks involve thumb and finger, and this is the common argument for pinchers. But the pinch method has limited range and makes other radio functions more difficult. Some, like myself and a previous poster, cannot easily move gimbals to full stop using the pinch method. For us, we actually have less control with pinch compared to thumbs. Others find the pinch method superior. Most I've seen who use pinch, but not all, generally use a transmitter tray to stabilize their hands since they cannot grasp the TX when using pinch. With thumbs, it is the grasp of the TX that locks the hand in place, making fine and precise thumb movement possible for many. One tip for precision flying with thumbs that helped me was to crank up the stick tension. Stiffer sticks allow thumbs more precise control IMO.

When all the dust settles, it comes down to personal preference. You need NO justification for whatever method you use. Just because person A fins method A better, doesn't mean it will work fore person B,C, etc. Use what every control method you like, there isn't a wrong way if you have control over the model. Cheers.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:47 AM
scolpit

I use 2 fingers, i don't know if it better or not, but i feel more comfortable with it!

And.. i think, just because the world champion use thumbs, it does't matter... at all. If he get used to fly with 2 fingers, he would be champion anyway...
I just hope you fly with 2 hands... this matters!!